April 16 U16 Friendly - Canada vs Scotland [R]

loyola

As reported by Rocket Robin in another thread Canada won 3-0 against Scotland today in Toronto.

quote:Originally posted by Rocket Robin

And the rematch ended 3-0 for Canada with them just dominating play!

More details from me tomorrow.

The midfielder wearing number 6 for Canada whom the players called out "Joey", was one who caught my attention. Looked dangerous all game especially in the first half. Also a very good ball striker. He had 3-4 good scoring chances from outside the box in the first half and even rang one of the cross bar. It didn't take long into the game to reallise that he was the guy that everyone was looking for on the pitch. The goal scorer( number 9) named "Todd" also impressed with good pace. All in all a dominant performance by the Canadians. The scotts seldom ever crossed into canada's territory in the first half. Canada would have probably won this game had they played without a goal keeper.

The defenders were very composed all game. Number 3 (Nana-sp), whose parents were sitting two rows behind me, had a good game. Also liked the way the defenders weren't shy to come foward when they had to. Particularly number 2 whom I heard spectators refer to as "Kennedy"

Result of the International Friendly of Saturday April 16th, 2005 between the Under 17 Men's teams of Canada and Scotland played at the Ontario Soccer Centre in Vaughan at 3:00pm on the outdoor "Field Turf" field.

Canada (all white, red numbers and trim)

............................22 Adam Street

2 Kennedy Owasu-Ansah...3 Nana Attakora...17 Christopher Leko...13 Adam Augruso

16 Dane Roberts...8 Michael Pereira...6 Joey Melo...15 Fabrice Lassonde

...............9 Todd Rutledge...12 Marcus Haber

Subs:...1 Jaswinder Gill (gk)...4 Liam Smith...5 Alex Suprenant...7 Sean Rosa...10 Derek Gaudet...11 Gabriel Gala...14 Shaun Saiko

team officials:...head coach Stephen Hart...assistant coach Patrick Tobo

Scotland (navy socks, shorts, and numbers, yellow shirts and trim)

.........................1 Peter Shaw

8 Scott Kane...4 Jamie Dailly...5 Tom Craig (cpt)...11 Gary Higgins

2 Chris Anton...12 Jason Hendry....6 Paul Hart...15 Kevin Woods

...................10 Kyle Hay...17 Shaun Kane

Subs:...16 David Lyvie (gk)...7 Greg Bishop...9 John Borthwick...3 Jonathon Black...14 Gavin Middleton

team officials:...head coach Stewart Neilson...assistant coach David Young

Game officials:...referee Sylviu Petrescu...referee's assistants Amato Deluca and Justin Tasev...fourth official Isaac Raymond (baby blue shirts, black shorts and socks)

1st Half:...game starts 3:03pm...Canada defends south end on this warm afternoon with the bright sun in the south west...there's a strong breeze from the south.

3 min...Can Melo in middle turns and blasts 30 yarder well over net.

3 min...Can Rutledge rush on right and low 20 yard shot is into right outside webbing of net.

6 min...Can Melo 35 yard freekick from left is high and over to Can Roberts in clear on right end line but it's just too far so goalkick called.

8 min...Can Melo lofts 30 yard shot over crowd of players and leaping goalie palms ball over net.

9 min...Can Lassonde cornerkick from left is knocked around on edge of box and cleared.

9 min...Can Melo 30 yard blasts hits underside of crossbar near right post but stays in play.

12 min...Can player's cornerkick from right is blocked by nearest defender.

13 min...Can Lassonde 30 yard shot from left is curled but still wide right of net.

14 min...Can Melo gets to centered ball and 25 yard blast hits defender's head from 18 yards and spins back to goalie for catch.

17 min...Can Lassonde 25 yard shot up middle is caught by goalie.

18 min...Scot Kane 45 yard freekick from right is wide right to Scot player on left of net who knocks ball to center but goalie picks up bouncer.

20 min...Scot Woods 30 yard blast is well wide left of net.

22 min...Can Roberts gets high bounce on right and one touches shot off target.

23 min...Can Lassonde pushes ball forward to Can Rutledge on left and he centers but ball cleared.

24 min...Can Melo touches ball to Can Pereira for 25 yard shot that's caught by goalie.

26 min...Scot Hay gets 15 yard shot that goalie pushes wide left. Scot cornerkick from left is headed away by defender.

27 min...Can goalie leaps in crowd of players in box to catch long cross from left.

28 min...Can Melo races diagonally and takes 30 yard low shot from right that skips wide left of net.

30 min...Can Melo 27 yard blast through crowd of players is caught by jumping goalie.

32 min...Can Melo 30 yard freekick from right is lofted and knocked away. Can Lassonde 30 yard rebound is booted well over net wide left. Scot Hart is injured near center circle.

34 min...Can Lassonde cornerkick from left has leaping Can Haber twist header from 10 yards knock ball wide right.

36 min...Can Lassonde 30 yard shot from left is wide right as no bend behind flying goalie.

37 min...Scot sub...Middleton replaces Hart who had continued playing for the last five minutes.

39 min...Can Augruso run on left wing and 35 yard shot is high and wide left.

43 min...Can Lassonde rush to center line on left and centering pass is too far ahead and gets Scot goalie to charge out and clear ball ahead of Can forward.

44 min...Scot YELLOW card...Higgins for sliding tackle on Can Melo in center circle injuring him.

45 min...Scot goalie catches 25 yard shot taken through crowd of players.

45 min...half ends 8:48pm.

2nd Half:...starts 4:05pm.

halftime subs:...Can Gill replaces Street in goal.

......................Scot Lyvie replaces Shaw in goal.

48 min...Scot player's 25 yard shot is wide left.

49 min...Can player's 10 yard shot is wide right although offside flag was up.

51 min...Can Melo low cross from right is through box and sliding goalie blocks low roller from left from Can player sliding in.

52 min...Can Haber can't win call on his dive on edge of Scot box but awarded a cornerkick.

53 min...Scot Craig knocks ball away from Can Haber as he runs in towards net on right side winning another cornerkick.

54 min...Can Roberts cornerkick from right has Haber pop 10 yard header just over bar.

54 min...Canada Todd Rutledge GOAL...Can Rutledge rushes in on left from 30 yards and cuts towards goal to slide in low 10 yard shot from left into right side or net behind sliding goalie David Lyvie.

58 min...Can Rutledge rushes in on right and hard roller just wide left of post.

59 min...Can Haber leaps to kick 10 yarder over net but offside flag was up.

62 min...Scot sub...Borthwick replaces Higgins.

65 min...Scot Hendry pops 35 yard shot well over net.

66 min...Can sub...Rosa replaces Roberts.

67 min...Canada Todd Rutledge GOAL...Can Rosa (?) rushes down right wing and cross into box where Rutledge leaping header flicks 7 yarder from left into center of net just under bar.

70 min...Can Augruso long ball in from left has Scot defender safely knock ball behind line on header.

74 min...Can Rutledge races up left wing to get to ball and low 20 yard cross saved by goalie.

81 min...Canada Fabrice Lassonde GOAL...Can Augruso rushes up left side and low centering cross to middle has sliding Lassonde poke ball in on line when sliding goalie misses ball. Some fans 55 yards away thought Scot defender Jamie Dailly knocked it into his own net.

82 min...Scot sub...Bishop replaces Kane.

83 min...Can sub...Smith replaces Attakora.

83 min...Scot Anton cross from left has goalie and charging Scot forward miss ball as it's wide right of post.

85 min...Can Leko 55 yard freekick starts heading knock-around on edge of box.

88 min...Can Haber gets cross from left and chests it down and his 10 yard shot that hits right post.

89 min...Can sub...Gaudet replaces Rutledge.

90 min...Scot Middleton gets freekick tap-over and his 25 yard shot from right is well over net.

91 min...game ends 4:51pm.

Final Score:...........Canada U-17s.................3.................Scotland U-17s............0..............

Attendance was about 575 today with the stands completely full and a spillover crowd watching the game from behind the north end goal and the hill on the east side. Admission was free. The crowd was pro Canadian with once again about half the crowd being younger than the players in this game. Many were here today to hear the draw for the Ontario Cup for whatever age groups they were in. That was taking place starting at 4:00pm in the Soccer Centre building. Any crowd spark for Scottish fans was quickly quieted by their players passing to a Canadian defender who'd break up the play.

Canada continued where they left off in their Thursday match by dominating play. They were passing the ball around in the back and 'globetrottering' (basketball term) fancy dribbling and passing into the open where another Canadian would rush in to pick up the ball. Some of us fans were concerned that Canada played with the wind at their backs in the first half and that may have aided their shots but all three goals were scored in the second half. Canada's Joey Melo got in blast after blast during the first half and the shots were close and I hoped another player would have charged in for a possible rebound. The Canadian defense was rock solid especially the heading of Nana Attakora with his knocks of often 15 yard snappers that were over any Scottish player nearby. The defenders weren't afraid to rush upfield knowing there'd be a Canadian drop back to cover his place in the backline.

I'd never been to a Canadian national men's team game where they are so much better than their opposition. (Canada's womens teams of different age groups overpower opponents is nothing new). I'm looking forward to any more games in the Toronto area however the whole country deserves to see this team! With only four players listed as coming from provinces west of Ontario, there may be a west coast based team.

Rocket Robin

robing@eol.ca

Watched two of our U17s in a game today, Haber's U16 team from Vancouver vs Liam Smiths U16 team from Abbotsford.

Haber looked good - but most impressive about him is his size - 6'2" and around 175 pounds. His coach played him at centreback, not his best spot as had some dificulty with long balls from Abbotsdford. Given his offensive skills he has better in midfield, where I have seen him play well before.

Liam Smith played right defence for Abbotsford. He was disciplined, and a good athlete, but not special with the ball.

The most effective player in the game was Rob Geizen, who played midfield for Vancouver. He scored the first goal, and unleashed several hard low 30 yard shots which the Abbotsford goalie barely stopped.

Wonder if Stephen Hart invited Geizen?

quote:Originally posted by Ivan

Analyst, when you referenced Haber's U16 team from Vancouver, would that be the Whitecaps U16 team?

Its his youth league winter team called the Vancouver Selects. They just finished winter league and are in the finals of the Provincial U16 cup vs a Surrey United U16 Selects. The winners play in the National Club Championship tournament next fall.

The U16 winter league has 16 teams in the Select league , so the calibre of play is poor as there are many poor players. Players like Haber, Smith and Geizen stand out because the calibre of other players is poor.

The Whitecaps do not operate youth teams in the winter. They only have a winter academy for kids. They do have U13 to U18 Super Yleague teams in the SuperYleague each summer. Players who don't play for provincial teams in the summer are encouraged to play for the Caps SuperYleague teams.

Thanks Analyst. So these 3 players you mentioned would not play Super Y either? They would play for a provincial team? Who do the provincial teams play against and do they play a regular schedule?

Sorry for the questioning, just interested in how thngs work in BC.

quote:Originally posted by Ivan

Thanks Analyst. So these 3 players you mentioned would not play Super Y either? They would play for a provincial team? Who do the provincial teams play against and do they play a regular schedule?

Sorry for the questioning, just interested in how thngs work in BC.

They probably won't play SuperY, but sometimes (not often) players chosen for the provincial team turn it down because

1) The Provincial team is more expensive than the Yleague team;

or B) they don't like the Provincial coach; or C)They don't agree with the provincial team program - for example some Provincial teams play in tournaments against teams 2 or 3 years older.

Last year, Vukovic didn't play for the provincial team because of the cost.

The BC provincial teams don't play in a a league. They play freindlies and they play in tournaments in Washington State, Oregon and California, often against older youth teams. Some years the provincial teams go to Europe for tournaments.

• 3 weeks later...
quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

Is Joey Melo related to Meli Melo?

/I'll get my coat....

I'm not sure he is related to Meli Melo, I know he has two brothers named Andrew and Mike who are also good football players..Andrew and Joey both play for my highschool soccer team...Joey is sensational.

analyst

BC Super Y league team is coming to Calgary next week right? I'll probably watch a couple games a friend of mine plays on the BC team. This year the Calgary Y League teams are a joke...the best players didn't try out, so i think it will be an easy win for the BC'ers.

quote:Originally posted by footyfanatic01

analyst

BC Super Y league team is coming to Calgary next week right? I'll probably watch a couple games a friend of mine plays on the BC team. This year the Calgary Y League teams are a joke...the best players didn't try out, so i think it will be an easy win for the BC'ers.

A joke? I know for a fact the best U-13 and U-17 boys are all playing Super Y. Watch FC Calgary, they'll be good.

Don't make me laugh young chap.

Young chap? Flattering. How about a friendly wager requiring nothing more than our reputations that FC Calgary sends at least 1 boys team to Florida?

Don't make me laugh young chap.

I should have added that not many SWU players tried out/made it since the Super Y inititiative didn't involve them so I guess that explains your opinion.

quote:Originally posted by cornerkick19

I'm not sure he is related to Meli Melo, I know he has two brothers named Andrew and Mike who are also good football players..Andrew and Joey both play for my highschool soccer team...Joey is sensational.

I think cornerkick19 missed the (bad) joke by a wide margin...

BitsBites-SnackMix.jpg

Archived