Cdn U15 s tie US U15s

Guest Ed

From BigSoccer.....I agree with the analysis as well.

Dec. 29 Canada U-17 (T 1-1)

http://www.soccerscheduler.com/dire...plicantid=11050

No info on who scored yet.

Im not sure if this was an '89 or '88 team from Canada but if it was an 89 team this is bad result considering the fact that most of our '89's play and live together daily unlike their Canadien opponents.

Seems we didnt fair so well against the regional sides...

Disney's Soccer Showcase presented by adidas

Boys OPEN - adidas Super Group

Crossover: Canada U17 Mens National Team (CND)

Date Time Home Team Score Away Team Score Field

12/27/2004 4:30 PM-6:30 PM Canada U17 Mens National Team (CND) 0 Region IV U17 ODP (West) (USA) 2 Disney's Wide World of Sports-Hess Field #4

12/28/2004 2:30 PM-4:30 PM Canada U17 Mens National Team (CND) 0 Region II U17 ODP (Midwest) (USA) 2 Disney's Wide World of Sports-Hess Field #3

12/29/2004 10:30 AM-12:30 PM United States U17 Mens National Team (USA) 1 Canada U17 Mens National Team (CND) 1 Disney's Wide World of Sports-Hess Field #1

12/30/2004 10:30 AM-12:30 PM Canada U17 Mens National Team (CND) Region I U17 ODP (Northeast) (USA) Disney's Wide World of Sports-Hess Field #1

from CSA site:

Boys Under-15 Team

Thursday, December 30, 2004

Canada and USA Draw 1-1

In its first international match, Canada’s U15 National Team (1989) battled back from a goal down to share the spoils with a talented and organized USA this afternoon at the DISNEY Soccer Showcase in Orlando, FL. Sean Rosa’s (Montreal, QC) strike three minutes from full-time brought Canada level in what was and incredibly intense and hard fought battle between the two CONCACAF rivals.

Both teams enjoyed scoring chances in the opening thirty-five minutes but failed to breach either goal.

The second half was much like the first for the opening ten minutes but soon after, the match opened up; perhaps due to a combination of heat and the fact that both teams were playing their third game in as many days.

In minute 50, the Americans opened the scoring against the run of play when a blind ball was played across the middle of the park and fortuitously fell to the feet of a US midfielder. With loads of space in front of him, the American made his way toward the top of the Canadian area and laid a ball wide for Cesar Nunez. The US striker, unmarked at the right corner of the Canadian penalty area, took one touch then smacked a laser into the upper left corner of the Canadian goal. Canadian goalkeeper Jaswinder Gill (Edmonton, AB) flew across the face of the net but had very little chance of preventing the opener.

But Canada responded immediately.

Gabe Gala (Toronto, ON), who had caused the US right back fits throughout the match, seemed to be the catalyst for the surging Canadians.

Gala managed to get to the left corner of the area twice; the first time the Toronto native squared a pass to Derek Gaudet (Bayside, NS), stationed at the top of the box. Gaudet shot sailed just over the bar but the near miss seemed to energize the Canucks.

Gala’s second foray into the US area was even more dangerous. The winger this time decided to try his luck from just inside the US penalty area but his low, rasping shot toward the near post forced the American keeper into a superb save.

Gill was called upon shortly after Gala’s chance when a long ball seemed to catch the Canadian defense flat. The American striker, with only Gill to beat, drove a low shot from just outside the area but the Edmonton native made an excellent reaction save to keep his team in it.

In the 67th minute, the Canadians finally found the equalizer.

Some wonderful passing at the right corner of the US area sprung Canadian captain Michael Pereira down the right channel and when the London, ON based midfielder reached the end-line, he managed to cut the ball back toward the penalty spot. Sean Rosa, who had started the move, met the ball at the spot and hammered home his first international goal into the left corner of the US goal.

“This was by far the most consistent performance”, said Canadian Head Coach Stephen Hart shortly after the match. ‘When we had the ball we played extremely well and put a very good US team under a lot of pressure. When we didn’t have it, we did an excellent job of denying them the space to break us down.”

“Overall, this was a tremendous team effort and I am proud of the way the boys performed this afternoon.”

Canada will now play the Olympic Development Program (ODP) – Region 1 (Northeast) in their final match tomorrow before flying home shortly after. The Canadians lost both of its previous matches (Region 4 – West and Region 2 – Midwest) by a score of 2-0. The ODP teams at this competition were all one year older (1988s) than the US and Canadian National Teams.

Wednesday, December 29, 2004

DISNEY’S Soccer Showcase – adidas Super Group

DISNEY Wide World of Sports

Orlando, FL, USA

CANADA – 1 (0)

USA – 1 (0)

Goals

CANADA – ROSA Sean 67’

USA – NUNEZ Cesar 50’

Cautions

CANADA – ROSA Sean 35+’; SMITH Liam 39’

USA – SWERTLOFF Lucas 33’

Expulsions - none

CANADA: 1 – GILL Jaswinder; 2 – SMITH Liam; 3 – HABER Marcus; 5 – OWUSU-ANSAH Kennedy; 6 – SURPRENANT Alex; 7 – GAUDET Derek; 9 – PEREIRA Michael; 11 – RUTLEDGE Todd; 12 – GALA, Gabriel; 15 – MELO Joey (17 – ANGEL-MIRA Jorge 62’); 16 – ROSA Sean

Head Coach: HART Stephen

Subs not used: 4 – ATTAKORA Nana (inj.); 10 – SYLLA Mohamed; 14 – LASSONDE Fabrice (inj.); 13 – SAIKO Shaun; 22 – LEMOS Josh; 8 – MARAS Marinko (inj.)

I recognize a few of the names (Mira and Haber - BC players). Mira played on the BC U16 Provincial AllStar team and also trains at the NTC. Haber played on the U15 Provincial team, and attended a camp for the U15 team in October. They were recommended to the CSA Coach (Stephen Hart) by the BCSA coaches. I would imagine that provincial Soccer Assoc coaches in other Provinces also recommended their players to coach Hart.

I have watched the Canadian National Team youth programs for a number of years and my analysis is that we can compete anywhere in the World up to age 16.

The difference between the USA and the rest of the World is their development system,residency program,and professional league.

That is why many young talented players end up in Europe with the help of companies like Shooting Stars and FIFA agent Barry McClean

Have you watched our National youth teams play against Brazil, Argentine, Italy, France, Germany etc? In another thread post you said we need to compare the MNT against big teams, not against Guatemela. The same should apply to our youth teams.

Instead, our U15 and U16 youth teams don't get to play against the really good teams instead they play against US Regional ODP teams, and aginst weak teams from the Caribbean, etc.

I'm not convinced yet that we are doing a good enough job of producing skilled youth players. I know from standardized education tests that Canadian students are #7 or 8 in the world in math, science and reading comprehension, but since we don't have standardized tests for soccer, we don't know how our youth compare in soccer.

quote:Originally posted by analyst

Have you watched our National youth teams play against Brazil, Argentine, Italy, France, Germany etc? In another thread post you said we need to compare the MNT against big teams, not against Guatemela. The same should apply to our youth teams.

Instead, our U15 and U16 youth teams don't get to play against the really good teams instead they play against US Regional ODP teams, and aginst weak teams from the Caribbean, etc.

I'm not convinced yet that we are doing a good enough job of producing skilled youth players. I know from standardized education tests that Canadian students are #7 or 8 in the world in math, science and reading comprehension, but since we don't have standardized tests for soccer, we don't know how our youth compare in soccer.

That would be a very good idea too.

The problem is that they are trying to avoid embarrassment by not playing team like Brazil,Italy and France.

It would be a great measuring stick and a learning experience for our young Canadians.

Analyst, aside from the ODP teams, they also played the US U15 Nationals. The US are generally among the best in the world at the youth level, regularly reaching the quarter finals of youth and U17 world championships. Your point about Guatamala is taken. However, we have often debated on this board about the merits of playing Central & South American teams over European teams in order to better prepare our players for World Cup qualifying.

Soccrguy65, the comment of not playing big teams at the youth level to avoid embarrassment is asinine. In the last year and a half, our U20s have lost by 2 goals to Brazil, beaten the Czech Republic, beaten the African Champion Burkino Faso, taken Spain to overtime, not to mention the positive results against the US. Our U17s lost on goal differential to Costa Rica and Mexico who both made the Quarter finals of the last U17 world championship.

Gee, that is pretty embarrassing.

Ivan, yes Canada's U20 team did play those games in the World Youth Championship competition. It made it past the first round because it beat the Czech's to gain 3 points. Three of 6 teams in the group got though so teams 4 to 6 might have only got single point ties. Against Brazil, we lost 2-0. Canada got the the win against the Czechs because the Czechs played with 10 men for most of the second half.

We did beat Burkina Faso then we lost to Spain even though Spain was down to 10 men from minute 65.

Making it that far was good. We didn't get breaks from the refs in WCQ qualifying this year, but our U20 team did get them in Dec 2003.

Actually Analyst, Canada played in a group of 4 with Brazil (0-2), Australia (1-2) and Czech Republic (1-0). We qualified in third because the Czechs could "only" tie Brazil and the Aussies. The Czechs by the way were the only team to defeat Spain in the Euro qualifying, so they came in as a contender for the title. You may be right, but I do not remember the Czechs going down to 10 men. I do remember Karim saving a penalty to keep Canada alive.

Yes Spain was reduced to 10 men after 65 minutes or so. But that team featured Iniesta in midfield, who is now starting for Barcelona. Except for his goal that gave the Spaniards the lead, he was pretty effectively shut down by DeTullio. In the first half, when both teams had 11 players, Canada did pretty well in the first 20 minutes with Simpson tearing apart the Spanish right side (as commented upon by John Helm, the British announcer) until they took measures to close him down (which gave more room to Matondo on our right side in the second half).

I do not understand why you would want to belittle that achievement when it was probably the second best run by a Canadian side in the last 10 years (Gold Cup win being the first).

quote:Originally posted by Ivan

Analyst, aside from the ODP teams, they also played the US U15 Nationals. The US are generally among the best in the world at the youth level, regularly reaching the quarter finals of youth and U17 world championships. Your point about Guatamala is taken. However, we have often debated on this board about the merits of playing Central & South American teams over European teams in order to better prepare our players for World Cup qualifying.

Soccrguy65, the comment of not playing big teams at the youth level to avoid embarrassment is asinine. In the last year and a half, our U20s have lost by 2 goals to Brazil, beaten the Czech Republic, beaten the African Champion Burkino Faso, taken Spain to overtime, not to mention the positive results against the US. Our U17s lost on goal differential to Costa Rica and Mexico who both made the Quarter finals of the last U17 world championship.

Gee, that is pretty embarrassing.

Mr Analyst. Did you find out if all the top players were present during these cup games.

In tournaments like the Gold cup and the South American cup on many occasions the top players stay with their pro clubs.

How do you think Canada won the Gold Cup. Was all the top players there ?

As I mentioned in my post before we are usually competitive at the younger ages because we do have the talent.However,we do not have the infrastructure to go to the next level.

Ivan, I responded the way I did for two reasons:

First, I felt your response to soccerguy was insulting because you referred to his argument as asinine. I know that's not your usual style.

Second, I thought your post was bordering on praise for our U20 team, and I don't want readers to think our youth teams always do well against good competition. The U20's did better than they have in the past and they also got lucky. I checked the CSA website and it shows that a Czech player did get kicked off in the game we won.

Soccerguy, I did not check the rosters of the teams we played against.

Appreciate your explanation Analyst. I will clarify my opinions in my post then, for everyones' benefit, I will end my posts on this subject.

First off, Soccrguy65 is entitled to his opinion and I did not mean to insult him personally. My opinion is that to say any of our national teams, not just our youth teams, being afraid to play world powers is asinine. My proof being the list of countries we have played in the last couple of years.

My post on the U20s was not bordering on praise. It was full of praise! I was never prouder of any of our national teams after watching our boys after the Spain game in tears, leaving everything on the field. My apologies if I sound too melodramatic.

Thanks for the confirmation on the Czech game. I look forward to future discussions with you.

There was some controversy at the U-20 about some teams not getting a few professional players released. However, with one exception this did not involve any of the teams we faced but rather those who had a very disappointing tournament and were looking for an excuse. If I remember correctly it was England and Germany who complained about clubs not releasing players (although in each case it was at most 2 or 3 players). Admittedly, Rooney was a big loss for England but whether he alone could have saved their horrible performance is open to debate. The one team we did face that was missing players was Brazil who had two players not released because of important club games but as they won the tournament I think we can assume they were adequately replaced. Australia, Burkino Faso and the Czech Republic all had players on top European clubs who played in the tournament and Spain had several players who were playing on top clubs in La Liga, i.e they were full sides. Lets not forget that we were in the toughest group of the tournament which was won not by Brazil but Australia. The crux of this is that we played against the top teams of several top soccer nations and were able not only to hold our own but excelled at this level. This is not to say that every U-20 team will be as successful but the accomplishment of this team should not be belittled or put down to luck, in fact I remember most observers stating we were unlucky not to get at least a tie out of the game with Australia. Unfortunately we were only able to see the Spain game on tv but we played Spain very even before the sending off. Maybe we could have taken better advantage of the extra man but it was probably a surprise to the players that we were suddenly changed into the attacking side. This was not a tournament of B teams but one of A teams. A couple of the A teams were missing a couple of key players and did not make it past the group stage and used this as an excuse but the vast majority of nations fielded full A teams.

Guest Jeffery S.

Just to clarify about Spain being a full side, in fact Fernando Torres was allowed to stay at Atletico Madrid, so that definitely reduced firepower for Spain.

But I will say that our performance against them was incredible, and we really had them against the ropes. We came back from a goal down, and Hume hit the post on a long free kick just after his first goal, with Lemire missing the rebound. They took a red because they were really struggling. And the goal in extra time was a stupid defensive flaw that was a terrible shame considering how well we had played to then.

I also want to concur that de Tulio's defending of Iniesta was extraordinary, even though he let him go for the goal, though all he really had done was expect the defensive line to pick him up went he went forwards. All in all we showed great maturity in that match, and in no way were ever outplayed by the eventual world runner up.

quote:Originally posted by soccrguy65

I have watched the Canadian National Team youth programs for a number of years and my analysis is that we can compete anywhere in the World up to age 16.

The difference between the USA and the rest of the World is their development system,residency program,and professional league.

That is why many young talented players end up in Europe with the help of companies like Shooting Stars and FIFA agent Barry McClean

I disagree with this statement, simply because our youth teams do not play enough football to be competitive at any level. Maybe with about 20 games a year and full time training. Then and only then MAYBE. I read the USA site a lot and they are not better than Argentina, Brazil, France etc. They play about 50 games a year over 25 are International and even with that they lost to Japan, Cameroon and France

Observer, you argue that our youth teams need to play more and train full time. Our youth players do play lots of games, but they play them for the amateur club teams in their home cities, and occasionally for their Provincial teams and the national team.

Stephen Hart has taken the Canadian U15 team (players born in 1989) to three training camps abroad in the last twelve months.

There are sports planners who advise that youth players at this age group should have 5 or 6 practices for every game, which really means full-time training as you suggest.

quote:Originally posted by analyst

Observer, you argue that our youth teams need to play more and train full time. Our youth players do play lots of games, but they play them for the amateur club teams in their home cities, and occasionally for their Provincial teams and the national team.

Stephen Hart has taken the Canadian U15 team (players born in 1989) to three training camps abroad in the last twelve months.

There are sports planners who advise that youth players at this age group should have 5 or 6 practices for every game, which really means full-time training as you suggest.

My statement was aimed at International play. I know they play for clubs etc. I stand corrected on the 89's in camp. I can only judge from the site. I know they were in Mexico and then Florida, I did not know they had a third experience??? From the site I saw the 88's were in the US & El Salvador. Anyway, I think Canadian teams suffer from a lack of playing together over extended periods. When I read coaches from Brazil saying 3 weeks is not enogh to prepare a team. I have to think it is impossible in 8 days, with our players, whom in general do not play at a high enough level.

Archived