Stalteri Not Good Enough For Award?

bettermirror

Why is Paul Stalteri not up for Canadian Athlete of the Year? He is the first Canadian international to win in one of the big four leagues. He Played every match, and he won the Deutscher Pokal! Contact Sportsnet and ask why. I sure did. Anything he achieved last year was as impressive as any of the other team sport athletes on their list.

Ive just looked at the list and I totally agree with you. Its so sad that if Paul's name was on that list he would probably finish last and if it was Germany he would be at the top because nobody here knows who the guy is. Adam Van Koeverden? do you think we will ever hear his name again? probably not.

quote:Originally posted by stacks

Stalteri had a poor performance in WCQ and showed his temper with the water bottle incident. Yes it was a terrible call but that attitude will not be justified in proffesional soccer.

So that cancels out all his achievements? The award is for sporting accomplishments for the entire year not just a few games. I fail to see how the WCQ capmaign over-rides an impressive run of form over much more than 12 months.

If Canadian sportsperson of the year can be given to a car that plied its trade across the other countries of the world (see Jaques Villeneuve's victory a few years ago), why couldn't it be given to a man who helped his club to great success in one of the most competitve leagues in the world.

my note to sportsnet (FWIW)

Dear sirs/mesdames,

Re: 2nd annual Canadian athlete of the year

I am certain many other Canadian soccer fans have already contacted you about your failure to include Werder Bremen's Paul Stalteri in your voting list. I would like to add my name to that list. Paul and his Werder Bremen team-mates were successful in winning the 2003/04 Bundesliga championship as well as the 2003/04 German Cup. Paul started virtually every game for Bremen, which showed his importance to the club. Although, Paul's accomplishment's were done as part of a team, you could say the same thing about many of your other nominees such as Jason Clermont and Steve Nash. If you will add Paul's name to list of nominees, I will cast my vote for him. If you don't add his name to list, I will not participate, as I believe it would be senseless to cast a vote for the second best Canadian athlete of the year.

quote:Originally posted by stacks

Stalteri had a poor performance in WCQ and showed his temper with the water bottle incident. Yes it was a terrible call but that attitude will not be justified in proffesional soccer.

Exactly, It would be great to see an MNT player get serious consideration for this award one day. But lets be honnest, there is not much in the way of acomplishments in 2004 by our MNT is there?

Van couverden was a poor choice IMO since kayaking is a relatively low profile sport with a much smaller field of competition. But could you honnestly choose Deisel over other athletes from team sports like

1) Steve Nash: one of the best point guards in the world

2) Eric Gagne: the best reliever in Baseball

3) Martin St Louis: He won every everything possible in 2004.

Stalteri's accomplishments with WB are certainly noteworthy. But is deisel's as valuable to his team as the three mentioned above?

I totally agree that Stalteri should have been on that list.

That being said I wouldn't have voted for him to win it. The Olympics is the biggest sporting event in the world. Adam Van Koeverden did very well on the biggest stage, came out of nowhere (important IMO) and also performed at the top of his ability. I like that we may never hear of him again, he wasn't one of the names anyone was talking about before, but he over-achieved and earned his place as the star of the games for Canada. When I think Athens, I'll think Van Koeverden, the same way I think Boucher in Sarejevo.

I think St. Louis will win, but I think Brad Richards is being over-looked somewhat. Or their accomplishments, the Stanley Cup is bigger than the regular season and the World Cup (IMO) and Richards had a bigger role in the Stanley Cup than St. Louis. Of course St. Louis had the better regular season. That being said they both did it for club AND country this season and were the key men in their club winning the title. IMO that's bigger than Stalteri's double with Bremen. Not by much, but a little.

cheers,

matthew

Bah.

It's a popularity contest. And I'm voting Diesel. What is more I figure I can get about 60 people (friends and at work) to vote Diesel. He'll not win, of that I'm sure, but to at least get an honourable mention would be a very nice gesture and require very little effort on our part.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Bah.

It's a popularity contest. And I'm voting Diesel. What is more I figure I can get about 60 people (friends and at work) to vote Diesel. He'll not win, of that I'm sure, but to at least get an honourable mention would be a very nice gesture and require very little effort on our part.

I was not aware that we were talking about an internet/fan poll of some sort. I thought the original post on the thread was referring to the Lou Marsh award that was issued last week.

With that in mind, I have to agree with you.

quote:About the Lou Marsh award (is it mixed?), there was some controversy in Québec about Chantal Petitclerc having to share the award.
Daniel -- Adam Van Koeverden won the Lou Marsh trophy, which goes to Canada's outstanding athlete as voted on by a panel of sports editors and broadcasters. (Mike Weir won the award last year, edging out Eric Gagne by one vote.)

Chantal Petitclerc shared the Jack W. Davies Trophy (with Perdita Felicien), an award for Canada's top amateur track and field athlete who demonstrates outstanding ability and skill, as well as character and sportsmanship. (The two were also named recipients of the Phil Edwards Memorial Trophy, which is awarded each year to Canada’s most outstanding male or female athlete in overall track events.)

Later in December, winners of The Canadian Press Athlete of the Year awards (male: Lionel Conacher Award; female: Bobbie Rosenfeld Award) will be announced. The CP awards are decided by sports editors and broadcasters across the country. Weir and Felicien won in 2003.

Archived