Nov 17 WCQ - Guatemala v Canada - PRE-match

DJT

Originally posted by paco - 11/17/2004 : 13:10:41</u>

Hi guys,

here is the starting line up for tonight's game.

-----------Lars----------------

Atiba, Gervais, McKenna, Simpson

Peters, Serioux, Grande, Bernier

--------Derosario, Occean----------

Are we sure then that this is the official starting-line up?

5 games in a row without a win in Concacaf and I'm frankly sick of it. I don't care that this game means nothing, I want us to win it, for the sake of our country, our rankings and our pride.

I want to see a Brilliant performance from Brillant. I want to see a grand effort from Grande and a serious effort from Serioux. I'd like to hear of an ocean of goals from Occean, and a hair-full of goals from Hair Canada himself, De Rosario.

I want to hear that Jamie's running has caused the Guatemalan defence to become Petered-out, and I'd like to hear of the Guatemalans getting burned by Bernier, with the game's goal winner from the head of McKenna. I'd like to hear of a simple tap-in for Simpson, a Pozniak attack, a goal in the clutch from Hutch, no way past Gervais and no soccer ball to get in between the post, Lars and the cross-bar, or if it's the case of Sutton, making the Guat strikers look like Mutton.

Above all I'd like to see us win.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

5 games in a row without a win in Concacaf and I'm frankly sick of it. I don't care that this game means nothing, I want us to win it, for the sake of our country, our rankings and our pride.

I want to see a Brilliant performance from Brillant. I want to see a grand effort from Grande and a serious effort from Serioux. I'd like to hear of an ocean of goals from Occean, and a hair-full of goals from Hair Canada himself, De Rosario.

I want to hear that Jamie's running has caused the Guatemalan defence to become Petered-out, and I'd like to hear of the Guatemalans getting burned by Bernier, with the game's goal winner from the head of McKenna. I'd like to hear of a simple tap-in for Simpson, a Pozniak attack, a goal in the clutch from Hutch, no way past Gervais and no soccer ball to get in between the post, Lars and the cross-bar, or if it's the case of Sutton, making the Guat strikers look like Mutton.

Above all I'd like to see us win.

Damn, G-L, what the hell's gotten into you? Did you just smoke a fresh bail of BC weed? ;)

Yes, I want a good result, too. Come on lads.

I appreciate the lyrical turn Gian-Luca.

It'd be interesting to see how the midfield plays, specifically how the left side of Bernier/Simpson link up. I hope that Grande isn't an idle spectator - that the offense isn't generated strictly via wing play - and really pushes the ball forward and distributes smartly.

I hope a win is in the cards

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

No, sorry, the IN-match thread is to be used when the lineups are official. The intention of this thread is to use it before the lineups are official. I would say that official lineups are those that are posted on the CSA or FIFA sites, or announced on TV or a Webcast, right before kickoff. So any lineups that are found at this point should be considered unofficial (that's why I moved paco's post here); last time we heard a lineup this early, given by either the Honduran or Costa Rican media (I can't remember which match it was), it turned out to be way off. I figured this thread could be used for rumoured lineups and other match-day, pre-kickoff discussion. (We're still perfecting this thread system, but we'll get the hang of it eventually - assuming we play enough matches!)

quote:Originally posted by DJT

Originally posted by paco - 11/17/2004 : 13:10:41</u>

Hi guys,

here is the starting line up for tonight's game.

-----------Lars----------------

Atiba, Gervais, McKenna, Simpson

Peters, Serioux, Grande, Bernier

--------Derosario, Occean----------

Well if this the actual starting lineup, then I think it's pretty good. Excluding the Lars selection; I'd definitely start Sutton over him. I like McKenna at CB and Simpson on Leftback... the midfield looks solid, but maybe I'd start Brilliant over Peters. And the strikers, I can't complain. Should be a good game!:)

Good to see Lars in net, McKenna back in the line up, De Rosario where he should be playing and Bernier getting another shot. I might have to amend my score to 1-1, with Lars having a great game and McKenna continuing his outrageous goal-scoring feats for our nats.

Good to see Lars in net, McKenna back in the line up, De Rosario where he should be playing and Bernier getting another shot. I might have to amend my score to 1-1, with Lars having a great game and McKenna continuing his outrageous goal-scoring feats for our nats.

From the link posted above (Red Deportiva) this is the probable Guatemalan starting 11:

Miguel Kleé

Pablo Melgar

Eddy Cabrera

Ángel Sanabria

Gustavo Cabrera

Freddy Thompson

Gonzalo Romero

Mario Rodríguez

Guillermo Ramírez

Dwigth Pezzarossi o Juan Carlos Plata

Carlos Ruiz

quote:Originally posted by gwallace76

Is this game going to have any sort of play-by-play on the net? It's not on Sportsnet is it?

No, it's not on tv in Canada.

Only if you understand Spanish is there play by play:

http://www.lared.com.gt/lared/default.asp

or

http://www.emisorasunidas.com/

Otherwise, use the FIFA scoreboard:

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/t/sc/index.htmlhttp://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/t/sc/index.html

quote:Originally posted by snake

Expect Jaime Peters to have his best game for canada tonight.

That won't be too difficult. Is Yallop his agent or something??

Hey I wish all the best for the kid, but when WCQ is on the line, how can anybody justify him on our 18 man roster game in game out. He played one season of U19 soccer in Germany which ended last spring. Now 17 yr old Jonathan de Guzman I could see as he's been an absolute standout in his league and named top player in a couple of prestigious tournaments. Jaime Peters may be our Freddie Adu but his only game was against Millwall on a team-building vacation / BC pub crawl. Frank subbed him on for 10 minutes and then yanked him off for another sub in one game. What's up with that??

Hey Ed,

I think that Yallop's reasoning for including Peters for WC qualifying was due to the kid's special abilities (speed, offensive attacking skills) where useful to us, as a late-game super-sub, not as a starter. Frank must believe that Jamie posseses more of these useful late-game skills than other, older, more experienced players in our talent pool.

That would be my guess, anyway.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Hey I wish all the best for the kid, but when WCQ is on the line, how can anybody justify him on our 18 man roster game in game out. He played one season of U19 soccer in Germany which ended last spring. Now 17 yr old Jonathan de Guzman I could see as he's been an absolute standout in his league and named top player in a couple of prestigious tournaments. Jaime Peters may be our Freddie Adu but his only game was against Millwall on a team-building vacation / BC pub crawl. Frank subbed him on for 10 minutes and then yanked him off for another sub in one game. What's up with that??

Nah, I agree to a point, but I sort of feel you'd made your views abundantly evident on copious occasions and that it would be sort of cool just to move on at this point. Yes, Jonathon DeGuzman would have been a very smart addition, but my guess is that the lad's still not decided what he wants to do about his international future, so that was probably never a real option, was it? Now, how's this for an option? Bring Nsaliwa onto the squad at right back, let Hutch push up to right mid, and THEN we're talking about progress. (Or am I nattering outta my nut-hole?)

take care, mi amigo :)

Archived