Voyageurs Colours

ted

OK, I know MCM posted about this in the thread on the NSFC but it seems to me a topic worth discussing online and seperately.

Perhaps we should run a poll but I personally would NOT support RED as our colour. Why? Because I would hate to be confused with Sam's Army at games we play against the States. They chose red years ago and we would look like idiots. (The same could be said of Korea's rabid fans who adopted red at the WC but then how often will we play them?)

I would like to see an "official" white with red sleeves (or any mix of white and red) as our colours. Why not base our colours on that of our flag. Cafepress does a "baseball jersey" with red sleeves that would be perfect with a honkin big maple leaf (or other design) in red on the back and front. We would be wearing our flag and I think we would look very distinctive.

Just my 2 d worth.

quote:Originally posted by ted

OK, I know MCM posted about this in the thread on the NSFC but it seems to me a topic worth discussing online and seperately.

Perhaps we should run a poll but I personally would NOT support RED as our colour. Why? Because I would hate to be confused with Sam's Army at games we play against the States. They chose red years ago and we would look like idiots. (The same could be said of Korea's rabid fans who adopted red at the WC but then how often will we play them?)

I would like to see an "official" white with red sleeves (or any mix of white and red) as our colours. Why not base our colours on that of our flag. Cafepress does a "baseball jersey" with red sleeves that would be perfect with a honkin big maple leaf (or other design) in red on the back and front. We would be wearing our flag and I think we would look very distinctive.

Just my 2 d worth.

Yeah, red and white makes sense. The key is to get the masses to wear these colours. The Voyageurs are pretty damn good at showing up in proper colours.

Red is OUR colour! The fact that Sam's Army has incorrectly chosen it (has the American army ever worn red?....never...we wore red while they were wearing blue and we beat the bejeebers out of the yankees in the War of 1812...it is us, not the Vietnamese, that succesfully repelled the first mass American invasion, wear our red in memory of this accomplishment, as well as the red of our poppies for our fighting men in the last 137 years since Confederation) is their problem. Red was chosen Canada as the symbolic colour of Canada by the French king before the Mayflower landed in the Bostonais, and maintained since then, which is why the various proposals for blue and green were thrown out immediately by the Parliamentary flag committee in 1964. Almost all Americans themselves view their teams as wearing true blue, so we shouldn't worry about a few mistepping syncophants south of the border[}:)]. Red is our primary colour, white is our secondary. Maybe a bit of black here and there, as we have over the years, for some dash and emphasis. Or grey for third alternative when the opposition wear red and white when we are away.

Go Red!:D

Red is OUR colour! The fact that Sam's Army has incorrectly chosen it (has the American army ever worn red?....never...we wore red while they were wearing blue and we beat the bejeebers out of the yankees in the War of 1812...it is us, not the Vietnamese, that succesfully repelled the first mass American invasion, wear our red in memory of this accomplishment, as well as the red of our poppies for our fighting men in the last 137 years since Confederation) is their problem. Red was chosen Canada as the symbolic colour of Canada by the French king before the Mayflower landed in the Bostonais, and maintained since then, which is why the various proposals for blue and green were thrown out immediately by the Parliamentary flag committee in 1964. Almost all Americans themselves view their teams as wearing true blue, so we shouldn't worry about a few mistepping syncophants south of the border[}:)]. Red is our primary colour, white is our secondary. Maybe a bit of black here and there, as we have over the years, for some dash and emphasis. Or grey for third alternative when the opposition wear red and white when we are away.

Go Red!:D

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

It's amazing to me that most of the Canadian fans showing up at Commonwealth unthinkingly wore blue[xx(], which is the understated colour Canadians usually chose most to wear. Few of them thought that this was the colour of our Honduran opposition. Next round we have to educate our fellow Canadians better. It works in hockey.

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

It's amazing to me that most of the Canadian fans showing up at Commonwealth unthinkingly wore blue[xx(], which is the understated colour Canadians usually chose most to wear. Few of them thought that this was the colour of our Honduran opposition. Next round we have to educate our fellow Canadians better. It works in hockey.

Red and white. Add some black for detail, if you wish.

And a stylized maple leaf.

As for teaching the soccer crowds NOT to wear blue, yes it just

baffles me when they don't think. That's probably because they're

not as committed as we. But then again the Swangard people had

Guatemalans and Canadian fans practically sitting together. Guess

we got a LONG WAY to go in educating our countrymen.

Imagine some people wearing green when we host Australia or Mexico!

In hockey![:0]

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

[red]we wore red while they were wearing blue and we beat the bejeebers out of the yankees in the War of 1812

*cough*Youdidf***allstoptryingtostealthebritsspotlight*

Huh, did someone say something?

:D:);)

You Canadians are so war-like! [:P] Can't we all just all get along and wear red?

Hey, share the red. I was just going overboard with the suggestion that we should let you have it.

I ain't warlike, just jealous of all the testosterone on the Prezzes debate. It's cool.

In terms of the defence of Canada, though, the British defended Canada using mainly local militia and aboriginals, as the British themselves could only contribute token forces because of the commitments in Europe and the Carribean. General Brock tried to get more British reinforcements, but was told he had to stick with what he raised locally. Canada may not have existed as a country, but we mainly defended ourselves against overwhelming US forces intent on taking Upper Canada.

Cheers.

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

In terms of the defence of Canada, though, the British defended Canada using mainly local militia and aboriginals, as the British themselves could only contribute token forces because of the commitments in Europe and the Carribean. General Brock tried to get more British reinforcements, but was told he had to stick with what he raised locally. Canada may not have existed as a country, but we mainly defended ourselves against overwhelming US forces intent on taking Upper Canada.

Not quite true... Brock did land with an army at least of some descrption. They massed at Blandford Forum in Dorset before coming over, which is a town where I have some family, and it's interesting that it's an army base to this day!

Anyhow, our army in 1812 was about as British as the American revolutionary army -- that is, extremely so. Let's not forget that George Washington was an officer in the British army before in the brand new American one. We don't question his nationality, so we can probably dispense with others questioning our 1812 army's...

M@

quote:Originally posted by argh1

War of 1812 isn't that where we gave back half of the State of Maine in the treaty after we won the territory ?

Oh yeah RED AND WHITE are our colours the yanks can have lavender ;)

Hey, lavender or red, atleast we'll be wearing at the World Cup!

The US has rarely worn red in international soccer. They've almost completely gotten rid of it lately and in the 70s and 80s the head of the USSF banned 'the commie color' from their kits. I wish I had a source for that, but I read it somewhere. They stayed white with blue shorts until the early 90s where the had a good 10 years with lots of red. Other than that (and the white sash of the 50 WC) I don't think they've really ever worn red have they?

In any event, I could give two french seals what colour Sam's Army wears and where they'll wear them. The Chinese, English and Poles can wear red all over too I don't care. We wear red. I usually wear our home kit to matches, it's usually red. I plan to wear red at every other match I attend and if everyone else wants to wear some official Vees gear than cool, but I'll wear my jersey thanks.

cheers,

matthew

When I went to see the U-16s play in Ballymena, NI at the end of April, I had a chance to do a little interview with the tournament coordinator. I was waiting in the lobby of the Ballymena Showgrounds to speak with her, when one of the tournament staff came up to me and started to tell me about this pair of boots that had been lost by one of the Canadian players. I was wearing a red shirt with a little Nike insignia, and she just assumed that I must be part of the Canadian delegation. Canada's color is red, and that's about it.

quote:Originally posted by mattbin

Not quite true... Brock did land with an army at least of some descrption. They massed at Blandford Forum in Dorset before coming over, which is a town where I have some family, and it's interesting that it's an army base to this day!

Anyhow, our army in 1812 was about as British as the American revolutionary army -- that is, extremely so. Let's not forget that George Washington was an officer in the British army before in the brand new American one. We don't question his nationality, so we can probably dispense with others questioning our 1812 army's...

M@

Just a piss take boys, nothing meant by it. [|)]

This is the worst thread ever. I didn't even want to respond to it, but it won't go away. Not only is white not even a colour, but almost all of the Voyageurs I've met don't strike me as the Laudry professiuonals. And most Vs I've met has a stylish red jersey from past years.

Do you expect to stay clean at a soccer match?

We would be the off grey section. As for me I will continue to wear my Huddersfield Town Jersey until it is ripperd off my back by a crazed group of Bush-supporters in a broken bottle fight. They made fun of me in Burnaby but whatever...

AND I really like Johnny Monsters HOMEMADE VANCOUVER 86ers JERSY(that he never doesn't were... now that is tradition) and Krammerhead made a wicked Team Canada Jersey out of a cheap Umbro shirt.

Ted... if that is your real name... sorry, bad idea. Get bent. Die thread die.

quote:Originally posted by SamIAm

Hey, lavender or red, atleast we'll be wearing at the World Cup!

I believe you just thumbed your nose at me [B)]

Hey truthfully if we could qualify in tawny I'd take it !

But don't take the WC for granted yet !

Mexico , Costa Rica , Honduras, Guatemala , T&T , Jamaica or even Panama despite the 6-0 beating the States put on them ain't walk-overs and then there's that nasty play-off v Asia .

But honestly for no logical reason I lose interest in all WCQ after we are gone . I just watch the WC to see some good soccer now. I have no favourites. But good luck none the less !

Archived