Canada will never be taken seriously until ...

nutmeg

quote:Originally posted by elricko

Hockey can never be classified as a legitimate sport, when the nonsense of fighting is continually allowed, it is regarded by many nations as "MIckey Mouse", and rightly so. To see two huge behemoths on ice plugging at each other, grabbbing , pulling, punching ,hooking constantly makes a mockery of the word "Sport", add to that the absolutely disgusting behaviour of Bertuzzi ,McSorley et al--don't even try to tell me this is sport---Canada had higher sporting aspirations when they dominated the world of synchronised swimming!!!

Hockey has never been and never will be a major sport due to the lack of interest of other countries. Yes our violent version has turned people off the game,but that should afffect how people see it when it is played right. Football has a hooligan element in it but that shouldn't stop people from watching the beautiful game. What we need

is our own national league, enough delay, and that means all canadian

soccer supporters get off your fannies and fill the stadiums when that day does come, or better yet support your a-league clubs cause thats the best bet right now. Until that happens we will struggle just to get past countries like Costa Rica,Honduras & Guatemala.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To Strobe Z

quote:see how much more legible your posts are when you don't use the enter key? Just type in the text and let the forum auto-wrap it.

Makes it SO much easier to read....

Who reads it anyways. ------beast posts an average of 14 posts a day and we still want to be open to his opinions? Do you realize how much time and space his postings take? Locking a thread will not stop him.

Canada will never be taken seriously until we throw the politics out of the CSA.

Why does Dale Mitchell still have a posting with them?

Why is their a refusal on the part of the CSA to bring in new blood, like they did with Osieck?

Hockey can never be classified as a legitimate sport, when the nonsense of fighting is continually allowed, it is regarded by many nations as "MIckey Mouse", and rightly so. To see two huge behemoths on ice plugging at each other, grabbbing , pulling, punching ,hooking constantly makes a mockery of the word "Sport", add to that the absolutely disgusting behaviour of Bertuzzi ,McSorley et al--don't even try to tell me this is sport---Canada had higher sporting aspirations when they dominated the world of synchronised swimming!!!

As opposed to soccer players fiegning injury or needless time wasting in player changes or goalies taking lots of time for goal kicks.

Please explain how Canada's identity with hockey , 3 down football or curling ( we do have national leagues in these sport ) has anything to do with our lack of success in soccer.

I fail to see how loathing one sport increases our level of play in another ?

quote:

Our football side is a laughing stock. Period.

We have absolutely NO international sporting credibility. Now, don't misunderstand me. I am a patroitic Canadian football fan first and foremost. It is my dream to see Canada qualify for ther WC. But, sadly, that will never happen until our efforts in sport extend beyond the hockey rink.

Let's face it; hockey, as much as it is a national passion, is a niche sport, played by only a handful of countries, much like cricket or rugby. The Hockey WC is a Mickey Mouse tournament, consisting of only eight teams, specifically designed so that we can have bragging rights about SOMETHING, ANYTHING sport related.

You make a few good points...but...Attacking hockey?? OK this time you get a free pass, but next time we will have to drop the gloves (don't know if you know the meaning)

We are footballing minnows for many reasons:

CSA is a joke

In 90% of the country we can only play 3 or 4 months. (Guess what we do the other 8-9 months)

People don't go to 'soccer' games

Kids give the game up too easy

People attack hockey on Canadian Soccer Supporters site from Korea so they give up 'soccer' to play and protect hockey's honour (so don't attack hockey if you want to make the Men's National Team strong)

Guest Jeffery S.

First, Canada is not a laughing stock in soccer mostly because most other countries don't care about us. If we do badly, folks in other countries just say well, I guess it is not an important sport for you. All fans understand there are other sports that take priority in some countries, or have a more professional level, and others where you won't excel.

Now, if we do well, then people do notice, as soccer fans tend to enjoy the way new countries emerge in the sport. I know this was true in Spain after our Gold Cup win, everyone I mentioned this too was surprised and showed respect. And I'd like that to be a more common occurence. In fact just qualifying for a World Cup will not necessarily do it, case in point is that noone was all gaga about Equador after their qualifying for the last Cup. The only thing folks do find worthwhile is if they do okay. Every success means higher demands.

Canada has a general problem with elite sport with a few exceptions mostly because we tend to not be focussed on elites in our society, we have other values that take priority. This is a virtue in and of itself, but it is not a valid excuse if you want to have prestige in world sport, since other countries have the same positive values and also produce good elite athletes. Norway is a good example, and sure, Australia.

Having said all this, I think that the problem is related to the way the CSA is running things, which itself is a reflection of the fact that the CSA is chosen by provincial federations, who have other priorities beyond success at a national team level. We are also badly hurt by cronyism in soccer, in a way that we are not in other areas. But to get back to the key point, the CSA has been errant in a number of things: not pushing for better stadiums; not insisting that the senior men play regularly for Canadian fans all over Canada (a basic principle they have not understood); not establishing clear national objectives that the national coaches have to adjust to, instead of being dictated to by the coach of the moment. They clearly lack vision, experience, don't understand the politics of the game, don't lobby for success, for the winning edge, but only for institutional questions (are very naive in this regard, we can get a big tournament like the World Youth Cup but are still easily beaten by a crap ref).

This is particularly evident given how much we have grown in seeing Canadians with solid pro careers on better and better teams, and how our youth programs are improving. For me all this is only useful if it can translate into improvements in the prestige senior men's game, but this is not reflected yet just where we need it. As is Yallop is fiddling around in a ton of things that show a lack of experience as a coach and technical director of the program, and is basically wasting the talent we have. And the CSA is letting him do it.

And of course, if we had a more active press, a critical soccer press creating currents of opinion, this would not be so easy to get away with. There is no public diagnosis of our malaise, and a lot of pandering on the part of fans and press. Unfortunately, in the end it will have to go the other way: we will have to see success first and then, maybe, the press will move alongside along with a lot of latent, potential fans who see our success as a point of national pride and prestige.

you know what I want. I want soccer to be taken seriously in Canada, I want it to be shown correctly and professionally on TV , I want the public,especially the youngsters following the sport in ALL areas. Mostly I want the PRESS to promote the sport in all ways possible.I will do whatever it takes to ensue all those matters. One can sit here all day, and argue , but as long as we all DO something, instead of the usual trait in this country, "talking about it, and doing absolutely nothing".

you know what I want. I want soccer to be taken seriously in Canada, I want it to be shown correctly and professionally on TV , I want the public,especially the youngsters following the sport in ALL areas. Mostly I want the PRESS to promote the sport in all ways possible.I will do whatever it takes to ensue all those matters. One can sit here all day, and argue , but as long as we all DO something, instead of the usual trait in this country, "talking about it, and doing absolutely nothing".

Elricko, I want all those things too. Man, all of us want those things, but how do we get there? We MUST talk about how to get there. We must always look to improve our methods, and that requires discussion.

I want to credit Jeffrey S on a very well-written and thought-out posting on this issue. I was going to post this yesterday, but I agree entirely that the CSA lacks vision. They are in a tough place yes--see Jeffrey's post for reasons why--but vision is vital. Without it, any organization or venture simply spins its wheels and becomes reactive rather than proactive, scattered in intent rather than focussed, and inconsistent rather than responsible and clear. The executives should all read "The E-Myth" by Gerber. It is about small businesses, but applies effectively to any organization.

And kudos to jeffrey on all the other wise points raised about elite sports in our country--we ARE very suspicios of elitism in general--and for pointing out that we CAN have a caring society AND a prestigious sporting reputation that goes beyond the one we have for hockey alone.

One more thing: when those of you who knock hockey as a "mickey mouse" sport speak up, I can't help but think of those from the narrow-minded sports media in this country who attack soccer on similar grounds. Come on guys, don't lower yourselves to their level. Hockey is not the problem.

Well today I did do something. I wrote to over 28 of the world's top newspapers, both to their sports sections , and general letters, telling them how the Canadian media treats the world's number sport . I headed it: CANADA--"THE WORLD"S SOCCER WASTELAND". Maybe eventually the powers that be will be shamed into providing better coverage.

Well today I did do something. I wrote to over 28 of the world's top newspapers, both to their sports sections , and general letters, telling them how the Canadian media treats the world's number sport . I headed it: CANADA--"THE WORLD"S SOCCER WASTELAND". Maybe eventually the powers that be will be shamed into providing better coverage.

You make me laugh. Don't the world's top newspapers have more important things to cover than commercials during soccer games in Canada? Why would they care anyway? Hey, I'm mad that my provincial government delisted regular eye examinations, maybe I should write a letter to the Guardian in the UK to see if they can help me get this service back.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

You make me laugh. Don't the world's top newspapers have more important things to cover than commercials during soccer games in Canada? Why would they care anyway? Hey, I'm mad that my provincial government delisted regular eye examinations, maybe I should write a letter to the Guardian in the UK to see if they can help me get this service back.

Well I'm afraid I can't print what I think about all the whining-complaining-moaning-whinging-sitting-on-the-fence-,sit-back-and-do-nothing-types on this forum, if I did you would only call a meeting on it to TALK some more. I have repeated myself a number of times, but I have had very favourable responses from CONCACAF, UEFA,FIFA and several newspapers over the years. You see my friend, you are wrong, people do care about the situation. When "Labatt's" ran ads previously, I contacted their president in Vancouver, who phoned me at home, left his cell no. for me,stated that Labatt's policy was for all their ads to be shown ONLY before , at half-time and at the end of all soccer TV games, he stated FIRMLY it was the TV station's policy to insert ads during the game. He said to call him if I did not receive satisfaction. UEFA were kind enough to reply to a letter re. TSN's decision to cut short a MAn. UTD Champion's League match,apparently they must show the whole game ad-free. Tell me what will you do about soccer in Canada--TALK some more?

quote: Well I'm afraid I can't print what I think about all the whining-complaining-moaning-whinging-sitting-on-the-fence-,sit-back-and-do-nothing-types on this forum, if I did you would only call a meeting on it to TALK some more. I have repeated myself a number of times, but I have had very favourable responses from CONCACAF, UEFA,FIFA and several newspapers over the years. You see my friend, you are wrong, people do care about the situation. When "Labatt's" ran ads previously, I contacted their president in Vancouver, who phoned me at home, left his cell no. for me,stated that Labatt's policy was for all their ads to be shown ONLY before , at half-time and at the end of all soccer TV games, he stated FIRMLY it was the TV station's policy to insert ads during the game. He said to call him if I did not receive satisfaction. UEFA were kind enough to reply to a letter re. TSN's decision to cut short a MAn. UTD Champion's League match,apparently they must show the whole game ad-free. Tell me what will you do about soccer in Canada--TALK some more?

* stands up and applauds *

Well I'm afraid I can't print what I think about all the whining-complaining-moaning-whinging-sitting-on-the-fence-,sit-back-and-do-nothing-types on this forum, if I did you would only call a meeting on it to TALK some more. I have repeated myself a number of times, but I have had very favourable responses from CONCACAF, UEFA,FIFA and several newspapers over the years. You see my friend, you are wrong, people do care about the situation. When "Labatt's" ran ads previously, I contacted their president in Vancouver, who phoned me at home, left his cell no. for me,stated that Labatt's policy was for all their ads to be shown ONLY before , at half-time and at the end of all soccer TV games, he stated FIRMLY it was the TV station's policy to insert ads during the game. He said to call him if I did not receive satisfaction. UEFA were kind enough to reply to a letter re. TSN's decision to cut short a MAn. UTD Champion's League match,apparently they must show the whole game ad-free. Tell me what will you do about soccer in Canada--TALK some more?

You truely are a pompous jackass. I think its good that you fight to have commercials removed from Sportsnet's EPL coverage. I personally don't care becuase I don't watch the EPL enough for it to be a big issue for me. My problem is the way in which you are going about trying to get the commercials removed. And your response to this criticism clearly shows that your a piece of sh.it who thinks he's better than everyone else.

Elricko, you my friend, may have forever changed the face of Canadian soccer with your brilliant foray into the world of mega-mass media. Hell, even this morning I ran into a group of kids playing soccer before school started, and they all told me that the reason they NEVER cheer for Canada and why they feel disinterested in pursuing a career in soccer is because of all the commercials that TSN once ran in the middle of a soccer game. They, like you, are frustrated with all of the silly yammering and passivity displayed by many Canadians, this Voyageur site in particular, and champion the sorts of changes you, Elricko, are single-handedly making on our behalf.

Other ideas that these young players suggested to me, ideas they feel will vault us into the upper echelons of footballing prowess (and I'm sure you'll agree.)

1. Either fire Helen Stoumbos, or do NOT show any women's games at all. Or, give her a breast enhancement and tighter clothing.

2. Force the commie-pinko CBC to air ALL of Canada's games, commerical free, and hire some top-notch BBC announcers.

3. Fire Yallop and hire some guy named Holger Osiek.

4. Use the left-wing lock exclusively.

5. Force the commie-pinko federal Liberals to pour some of that 13 billion promised for HealthCare directly into TV coverage of soccer games, especially those that do not star any Canadian's whatsoever. Perhaps we could force the CBC to start a new channel called: Manchester United All Day Long!! (Without commercials, of course.)

6. Replace Pipe--and the rest of the bureaucrats milking the CSA from its funds--and replace him with somebody who has the nuts to actually take on the media, the passive fans of this country--as exemplified by the ****ing Voyageurs--and the sad state of soccer in Canada head on. We need a crusader, somebody who has no problem taking on the powers that be to affect REAL change. I wonder who that person would be?

Peace out;)

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

You truely are a pompous jackass. I think its good that you fight to have commercials removed from Sportsnet's EPL coverage. I personally don't care becuase I don't watch the EPL enough for it to be a big issue for me. My problem is the way in which you are going about trying to get the commercials removed. And your response to this criticism clearly shows that your a piece of sh.it who thinks he's better than everyone else.

The proof is in the pudding , exactly why Canada suck at so many world sports, you don't have the balls to finish anything-just like Mike Weir yesterday--again! A true -blue Canadian radio reporter, Bob "MOJO" Mohovavitch??? gave his view of Weir this a.m. on CKNW-called Weir the biggest choker on the greens, Weir blamed the pressure of the country for yet another Canadian failure, another choke!!! Just add Weir to soccer players, fans and just about anything else Canadian!! Oh , don't forget to post when Canada has a winner

The proof is in the pudding , exactly why Canada suck at so many world sports, you don't have the balls to finish anything-just like Mike Weir yesterday--again! A true -blue Canadian radio reporter, Bob "MOJO" Mohovavitch??? gave his view of Weir this a.m. on CKNW-called Weir the biggest choker on the greens, Weir blamed the pressure of the country for yet another Canadian failure, another choke!!! Just add Weir to soccer players, fans and just about anything else Canadian!! Oh , don't forget to post when Canada has a winner

Daniel Nestor just last week won the men's doubles at the US open, with his partner, Knowles.

Canada defeated the Czechs in the World Cup of Hockey in a tightly fought match. The Czechs looked good, but we certainly did not choke.

Ever golfed before? Pretty damn easy to miss a few putts here and there, especially when you are playing the World's #1 golfer. Weir acquitted himself wonderfully and was just a fraction off--two or three times--from winning the tournament. Weir is a frickin awesome golfer, one of the best in the world by a long shot, and certainly somebody to be proud of as a Canadian. Why you and that ****-brick Mojo dude feel you MUST crap all over a great golfer and a great weekend of golf is entirely beyond me. Stop hating yourself and start enjoying being Canadian. Placing second isn't an embarrassment at all.

Vive le Mike Weir!! Down with Elricko the Insecure!![xx(]

Nestor won with the help of a player from the Bahamas. How many tennis grand slams has a Canadian , just a Canadian, ever won--well I can help you with that answer mate, and it's ZERO? Do you remember Margaret Court from Oz, she won 62 , yes 62, grand slams as an Aussie!!!!!! How many golf majors has a Canadian won---ONE--now go and count how many have been won by an Aussie. It's very strange, when people on here are saying that I can't take the criticism, it seems to me that I just have to push a few buttons,and all these oh- so- thin- skinned individuals crawl out of the woodwork to defend--well to be honest I really don't know that you have that much to defend , but boy you sure don't like to be told the truth--maybe it's because it hurts so much?

It's very strange, when people on here are saying that I can't take the criticism, it seems to me that I just have to push a few buttons,and all these oh- so- thin- skinned individuals crawl out of the woodwork to defend--well to be honest I really don't know that you have that much to defend , but boy you sure don't like to be told the truth--maybe it's because it hurts so much?

No, it's because you're a moron.

Here's another example for you: How many times has Canada been able to claim the title of World's Fastest Man? Twice (I consider Ben Johnson's achievement as legitimate, since the man they eventually gave his gold to - Carl Lewis - is now an admitted drug cheat, just like Ben). In fact, when Donovan Bailey was the Olympic Gold medalist in '96, Canada laid claim to the world's TWO fastest men, as Bruny Surin was right there with him as the silver medallist, and he won the World Championships the next year as well.

How many times has your beloved Australia laid claim to that title? Zero.

quote:Nestor won with the help of a player from the Bahamas. How many tennis grand slams has a Canadian , just a Canadian, ever won--well I can help you with that answer mate, and it's ZERO? Do you remember Margaret Court from Oz, she won 62 , yes 62, grand slams as an Aussie!!!!!! How many golf majors has a Canadian won---ONE--now go and count how many have been won by an Aussie.

Margaret Court? Just how freaking long ago was that?

Either way, why are you ****ting on Nestor? He's an Olympic gold medallist in the mens doubles, although you probably never mentioned that because it goes against your ill-informed tirade against Canadian sporting achievements.

As for Aussies in golf, take away Greg Norman, and I'm sure you'll take away most, if not all, of those majors championships. Next you're going to tell us that Fiji is a better sporting nation because Vijay Singh is the current world number 1.

More Canadian champions of summer sports...

Autoracing - Jacques Villeneuve (World Champion, CART champion, Indy 500 champion), Paul Tracy (CART champion), Ron Fellows (24 Hours Of Daytona Champion), Gilles Villeneuve (a God in Italy; recognized as one of the greats), Greg Moore.

Boxing - Lennox Lewis, Eric Lucas, Arturo Gatti, Leonard Dorin -- all world champions in the last two years.

Archived