Canada will never be taken seriously until ...

nutmeg

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

It means something to us, as Canadians. Hockey is a part of our national identity. The World Cup created specifically so we can have bragging rights? Please, how pathetic is that. Sorry that the subtlties of the Canadian national identity are lost on you. Perhaps one day we will have a nice simple identity like that of the US or Korea in which there is lots of black and white and everything is spelled out in simple terms.

See although Canadians have a definite national identity, if you just look and read what the media has to say, you would think Canada is little more than the 51st state (and since Nutmeg is in Korea that might be the problem here). And I'm talking about the Canadian media especially. Everything that is primarily American or anything affecting America is pushed onto Canadians to no end, and that pi$ses me off! A nice example: what do you think the main title was in the Ottawa Citizen the day after Canada beat Czech Rep. in WC semi-final? Well, naturally the hurricane that is about to hit the USA. So a couple of trailor parks 2000 miles away from the nearest Canadian city might get demolished. That affects Canada how? You go anywhere else in the World (except maybe Asia) and its like the USA doesn't even exist. WHY? Don't tell me its proximity cuz that's BS.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by nutmeg

Hi everyone,

I've followed this board for some time now, but have refrained from posting, mostly to get a feel for the nature of the board. From what I've seen, especially over the past few days after the Honduras debacle, posters on this board range from rabid, borderline racist freaks to the more moderate, level headed sort. It would seem that any sort of criticism directed against the MNT, which does not even resemble flame bait, is greeted with jingoistic venom I thought was limited to our neigbours south of the border.

This is not a trolling post, nor is it flame bait. These are the observations of someone who has been an observer for a long time. If I've offended anyone, I apologize, but I think it's important for those who are still in Canada to understand what it's like to be looking in, on the other side. I will venture that those who take offense to this post will realize how close to the bone it cuts.

Regards,

nutmeg

Well, well, well. It seems like it is ok for Mr. Nutmeg to put down my country in order to try to make a point. Oh, that shot at all of (what he apparently considers" the--and I paraphrase a bit here--racist, venomous neighbors to the south.

Since this cuts to the bone, I guess I just assumed that he was talking about us Yanks. I know that he wasn't talking about any neighbors further south, say Mexico or further south--because, they like Mr Nutmeg are perfect. No. You can't find any racism south of the US. No venom to be found there.

Hey Mr Nutmeg. EVERY COUNTRY HAS RACISTS AND CLOWNS THAT EMBARRASS THEIR COUNTRYMEN. GROW UP. We Yanks are no better, nor worse then anyone else. We are people. Just like anyone else. I could do without your stereotyping; YOUR ABSOLUTELY UNECESSARY NEED TO INSULT AND DEMONIZE US WAS COMPLETELY GRATUITOUS.

It was an needless cheapshot and a self-indulgent tangent. You were commenting on a CANADIAN dilema. It had nothing to do with the States.

Maybe one day, we will all be as "homo-superior" as you. I hope not. I hope that I will always remember that every country deserves some modicum of respect and that it is unecessary to put down another country just so that I can feel better about my own.

You shared some interesting insights based on your ex-pat experience. Too bad you felt the need to inject anti-American sentiments into the discussion.

Before you give people lectures about excessive nationalism (which may be very well deserved because some of the poststhat you refered to were way out of line and incredibly offensive), why not check yourself first. To make sure that you aren't engaging in the sort of behaviour that you are objecting to.

Hope that this message reaches you in your ivory tower.

Sincerly,

Yanki

Just another venemous racist to the south

A couple more for fun: Daniel Nestor is actually ranked the number 1 men's double player in the world.

Jeremy Wotherspoon remains the number 1 ranked 1000 meter long track speedskater, and is in the top 3 for the 500. (I may have got these flipped, but the point remains. No Aussies to be seen even close to the top ten.)

No need to talk about curling, but once again, where are the Aussies.

Elricko, why do you hate Canada so much? Why did you come here? Did your parents force you to come here? Or did you come for a well-paying job? Why come to a country that you clearly do not respect? Is your real name SoccerBeast? You write and spell and form sentences much like he does. [}:)]

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

See although Canadians have a definite national identity, if you just look and read what the media has to say, you would think Canada is little more than the 51st state (and since Nutmeg is in Korea that might be the problem here). And I'm talking about the Canadian media especially. Everything that is primarily American or anything affecting America is pushed onto Canadians to no end, and that pi$ses me off! A nice example: what do you think the main title was in the Ottawa Citizen the day after Canada beat Czech Rep. in WC semi-final? Well, naturally the hurricane that is about to hit the USA. So a couple of trailor parks 2000 miles away from the nearest Canadian city might get demolished. That affects Canada how? You go anywhere else in the World (except maybe Asia) and its like the USA doesn't even exist. WHY? Don't tell me its proximity cuz that's BS.

Well, I hear you and share your complaint, but come on now: A devasting hurricane ripping through the southern part of our continent is certainly newsworthy, and I find no problem in such a story taking precedence over a sporting victory. Man, I love sports, especially when Canada wins, but human tragedy trumps sports any day. Still, I know what you are getting at--its just the example that sort of falls flat. To be fair to our media, however, the Globe and the Van sun and the fascists over at the National Post ALL had at least something about the big hockey win on the front page.

I think a better example of what you are getting at is all the favourable press Hargreaves got because he chose to play for England, compared to the miniscule coverage given to Stalteri's great success in the Bundesliga last year, or the phenomenal rise of DeGuzman in that same league, or the play of Hutch and Hume at the WYC. Once again, Mother England trumps Canada in the press. We are hell bent on bowing to former and expired empires--England and France (in Quebec)--and cowering before current empires--the US of A.

I'm with you buddy, but I think the larger damage is done by all the US networks we carry on regular cable. The average Canadian knows more about US politics than they know about their own--and that is a problem, or at least the symptom of a larger problem. [8)]

I was so wrong, I thought that "The Province"s headlines on August 30 2004, " Rest Of The World Leaving Us behind" was referring to the lack of Canada's prowess in the sphere of international sports, and now this forum has been swamped with this country's achievements--boy we make Australia seem so much like the wimpy undreachievers that they really are. Yes I'm here for the $$$$$ ( or was it the climate--I forget??????). Maybe someone should point out Oz's record at golf-sans Mr. Norman, and Lennox Lewis-he chose to leave Canada behind, same as greg Ruzedski , Mary Pierce, Michael J. Fox, Paul Anka, Wayne Gretzky,Alex Beaumann.

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

Jeremy Wotherspoon remains the number 1 ranked 1000 meter long track speedskater, and is in the top 3 for the 500. (I may have got these flipped, but the point remains. No Aussies to be seen even close to the top ten.)

Bad example.

Wasn't it Wotherspoon who fell over in the last Winter Olympics?

Nonetheless, I have an issue with immigrants (there's a loaded word!) who tell us how great it is back home and then have to explain why they're still here.

quote:Originally posted by Whither Canada

Bad example.

Wasn't it Wotherspoon who fell over in the last Winter Olympics?

Nonetheless, I have an issue with immigrants (there's a loaded word!) who tell us how great it is back home and then have to explain why they're still here.

See, that's part of the problem--everybody remembers Wotherspoon's wipe-out in the Olympics but forget that he was World Champion that year, and last year and is favoured to continue as World Champ this year. On that note, Mike Weir wins the Masters, along with a slew of other PGA titles, and all people can do right now is say he ALWAYS chokes in big tournaments. Too many bandwagon-jumpers, not enough dedicated, rational fans. (Can one be a rational fan?)

quote:Originally posted by elricko

I was so wrong, I thought that "The Province"s headlines on August 30 2004, " Rest Of The World Leaving Us behind" was referring to the lack of Canada's prowess in the sphere of international sports, and now this forum has been swamped with this country's achievements--boy we make Australia seem so much like the wimpy undreachievers that they really are. Yes I'm here for the $$$$$ ( or was it the climate--I forget??????). Maybe someone should point out Oz's record at golf-sans Mr. Norman, and Lennox Lewis-he chose to leave Canada behind, same as greg Ruzedski , Mary Pierce, Michael J. Fox, Paul Anka, Wayne Gretzky,Alex Beaumann.

Elricko, you are so damned naive, and I'll assume this is because you are either very young or poorly educated or simply not a dynamic, deep thinker. Think for yourself, and dig deeper!! I mean, you are letting the Province dictate how you think about Canadian sports? The Province does NOT speak for all Canadians--not even close. Its political slant--its apparent bias--is amply clear, though I suspect you either do not see it, or blindly accept it as the truth. Come on--get critical. You knock this medium--the Voyageurs--but you are barely critical of what you read in the frickin rag-ass Province??

Sorry, what was your point regarding Lewis and Gretzky and Paul Anka? Why did they leave Canada? They left for the very reason you left your country--for a job. Nothing else. Same with Fox and Bauman etc etc. (Oh man, I can't believe I'm arguing with another dumbass. [xx(] Does that make me a dumbass. I suspect so.[^])

...chose to leave Canada behind: Michael J. Fox, Paul Anka

Wow. Paul Anka was a silly hockey player--great winger--1st line type! He also had a great serve and could almost competed in the 76 summer olympics.

Elricko is right. Time to abandon the ship. No decent prospects in CA. Just one question, Rickster, why didn't you include Celine Dion on that list? Was it because she wasn't a really good athlete or because you don't want to claim her as yet another "defection"...

Elricko should take over the Royal Department of Tourism... Geesh. And to think that I almost emigrated to Canada... :)

Hey Rickster, there must be something postive that you can share about one of the greatest nations on the earth... Sports is one thing but now you've crossed the line--throwing out Paul Anka.

Seriously Elricko, I'm just joking with ya.

I would love to live in Canada and almost emigrated many years back...

There is a lot to love about such a wonderful country. Sports domination isn't everything. There's a lot of quality of life factors to consider. I'm sure that you probably really love Canada but you're sort of coming off like you don't like being there.

PAUL freaking ANKA?!?!!

Canada will not be takin seriously untill some of you posters learn to understand the game. Some of your oppinions on matches are so friggin far fetch, that me and my buddies have to wonder if any of you have played the game before, Or watch Bundasliga, premiership or the spanish league and so on. I was born into futbol and my family and friends lives pretty much revolves around futbol. Reading some of your posts shows me why Canadian soccer goes no where. Some of you are just stats guys and I bet you can't even pass the ball straight. Futbol is like a chess match, the most important thing is your mind. You have to have a good sense of the game. Its not all about kicking and running. After saying that, you guys can wright what you want about me but the people who understand this game know. Its either you know or don't know. [}:)]

the beaver--Nick Faldo ( the pommie) won 6 times as many golf majors as Weir, the "Shark" won 2 Brit. Opens . If only your Canadian sports stars showed half the passion of all you writers, but just maybe you perform too? I just know this farcical ice-hockey tournament was set up for a Canadian win-Christ it's on Canadian soil,they have to win sometimes, so let's start with 8 quarterfinalists, see if they can all qualify--wow they did-all for a MICKEY MOUSE so-called sport--WWF-ON -ICE!! I reiterarte I came for the $$$$$$$. Great country here, but it's pretty lousy at world sports. I have been thinking exactly what "The Province" printed for years, maybe my thoughts are starting to sink in, maybe just some of you are starting to realise. The head of this year's IOCC, after the summer Olympics ,even said Canada has to take it's sports programs more seriously, to try to gain more success, DID YOU HEAR HIM - ARE YOU LISTENING, it wasn't me that told him to say it. Or shouldn't one take notice of a radio report either? Why don't you guys WAKE UP and smell the world passing you by, why are you so,SO sensitive to criticism. It's true the Aussies are not too hot at speedskating, but they are good at most WORLD sports. Some clown on here mentioned Jaques Villeneuve, fair enough, but go and count the Aussie champions in Formula One. I like living here except for too much rain(Way,way more than England when I lived there--check the weather records), but I have said ever since I arrived, Canada lacks a sporting culture, there's no real competitive spirit which carries over to all aspects of life. It's sure been a slice , waking up some of that passion on this forum, I truly doubt it will do much good. I thought one only saw a true passsionate Canadian at a "midnight madness " sale!!!!

the beaver--Nick Faldo ( the pommie) won 6 times as many golf majors as Weir, the "Shark" won 2 Brit. Opens

God, you really are stupid. Weir is ****ing 31 years old, yet you're comparing Faldo and Norman's career stats against a man who's career is just getting started.

quote:Maybe someone should point out Oz's record at golf-sans Mr. Norman, and Lennox Lewis-he chose to leave Canada behind, same as greg Ruzedski , Mary Pierce, Michael J. Fox, Paul Anka, Wayne Gretzky,Alex Beaumann.

First off... Michael J. Fox and Paul Anka aren't even athletes, so how the hell do they come into this equation?

And Wayne Gretzky? Are you freaking kidding me??? Yes, he's really left Canada behind. For the love of God, you must be living under a rock, especially this week.

quote:Some clown on here mentioned Jaques Villeneuve, fair enough, but go and count the Aussie champions in Formula One.

Why don't you enlighten us. We're not as up-to-date on all things Aussie as you seem to be.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

One. There's been one Aussie World Driving Champion, and that was some 37 years ago. What does that have to do with my post (he challenged Canada's record in individual sport, I replied)? Who knows? I suppose a legitimate response to his ignorant rantings just wasn't part of his master plan - hence the reactionary slurs and pointless declarations.

Jayway-- Check your facts mate--There's been 4-YES -FOUR Aussie CHAMPIONS Jack Brabham 3 times and Alan Jones -once. Now count 'em again -VERY SLOWLY -that's right FOUR. Now admit your error

Indeed. But that still leaves Australia with two world champions. You see, we could deal in the stat-bloating argumentative style that you seem to prefer - popular with folks used to grasping at straws. *Or* we could actually focus on the issue: how much talent the country (Canada that is) has produced in said sport.

I'm not doubting Australia's pedigree in autoracing. I know, and very much appreciate, thier contribution to motorsport. You (I'll refer to you as representative of Australia, since you seem to still be so attached to the place) went through a bit of a drout in the past little while, but with the likes of Mark Webber, seem to have landed back on your feet. Nice work.

The point is not that Australia hasn't produced racing talent - it has. Rather, the point is that *Canada* has (that is what we're dicussing here, isn't it? Canada...). And it has done so in a very much "international" sport. I know this won't do much to dent your negative conception of Canada's sporting pedigree - after all the ranting you've done, I can only assume it's well entrenched beyond reason. But geez man, at least achnowledge the point. Calling me a clown and trying to divert attention to Australia isn't going to do much for your already wounded reputation on here.

Strange that you did not comment on the statement by the head of the IOCC, or did you conveniently choose to ignore that. You people here have such selective listening, the rest of the world were told of this re. Canada, and it's future hosting of the Olympics, did you not hear? I do apologise for calling you a clown.

Strange that you did not comment on the statement by the head of the IOCC, or did you conveniently choose to ignore that. You people here have such selective listening, the rest of the world were told of this re. Canada, and it's future hosting of the Olympics, did you not hear? I do apologise for calling you a clown.

It was very classy of you to apologize for calling our website comrade a clown but I am still waiting for you to respond to my question.

Why didn't you cite Celine Dion in the list of athletic "ex-pats"???

Why, huh? Many of the people that I know would love to send her back North.

Talk about selective hearing...

Where is our apology??? PLEASE TAKE HER BACK!

I have learned a lot about Aussie Motorsport during this discussion...

Thanks...

I am so pro -American that my B.C. friends and colleagues hate it, at least you Yanks get things done, instead of just talking. As for Celine DIon, I must admit that that paticular retribution was so devious, malicious and terrible, I can only assume the Canucks are trying send you all stark staring mad, then they can march in and take over, but just think they could also have sent the dreaded ANNE MURRAY!!!! Thank you for not being crude, rude or vulgar, unlike so many others on this forum . I do tend to "speak my mind", I'm really attempting to shake these Canadian fences, at least make some of these buggers take sides--one way or another. I feel this a great day for us hockey haters, well I should say another nail in the coffin of a lack-lustre Mickey Mouse past-time.

I am so pro -American that my B.C. friends and colleagues hate it, at least you Yanks get things done, instead of just talking. As for Celine DIon, I must admit that that paticular retribution was so devious, malicious and terrible, I can only assume the Canucks are trying send you all stark staring mad, then they can march in and take over, but just think they could also have sent the dreaded ANNE MURRAY!!!! Thank you for not being crude, rude or vulgar, unlike so many others on this forum . I do tend to "speak my mind", I'm really attempting to shake these Canadian fences, at least make some of these buggers take sides--one way or another. I feel this a great day for us hockey haters, well I should say another nail in the coffin of a lack-lustre Mickey Mouse past-time.

BRO, I was a 100% in your camp until you dissed the puck. We were bonding, I could feel it. Then you had to go and dis hockey, AGAIN (I'm really ticked off about the strike--screw the owners, the commish and NHLPA--I'm not running back when they decide to skate again).

I was realling feelin' ya until that salvo. To each their own. You got a lot of guts, dissing hockey living in BC. I completely disagree with you but I respect your firestarting.

I WILL TAKE ANNE MURRAY any day over Celine Dion, thank you very much for your apology though... Thanks for sharing the evil Canuck conspiracy I will begin spreading the evil plans via the internet--coz everyone knows that you can beleive everythingthing that you read on the net.[}:)]

Archived