As a Honduran...

Lilloco

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

Lilloco are you proud that your national team is made up of a bunch of diving pussies?

Like I said when I started this thread, I sympathise whith Canada cause its a great team and they outplayed Honduras in the second half and most of all cause that wasent a penalty..but its people like you that make me think..and to answer your question...(This is only for you by the way, I dont mean any disrespect to the rest of the Voyageurs who seem to be a class act)...so to answer your question..

Nahhh, actually now that you mention it, I am proud of one thing...no cards in two away games and 4 points..hope your happy with my answer...:D

Liloco... thanks!

Please don't take some of the comments around here too hard, we're all very upset right now. I understand what you're saying about the Latino mentality about "diving". Honduras is far from the only or worst team to fake injury or injustice - I seem to remember Canada playing Ecuador once which could've easily won gold in Syncornized-Diving.

You should also understand that Soccer is a 2nd (or 3rd) class sport here in Canada. Being a Canadian soccer fan is very difficult, as even most soccer-loving Canadians could care less about their own team. It's hard to feel like outcasts in your own country. If something like this were to happen in Honduras it would make the front page of every newspaper... in Canada we'll be lucky if a small paragraph is put on the back of the sports page. When something like this happens we can only shake our hands to the soccer gods and say "Why US?!".

We're lucky we have this board or most of us would just have to suffer in silence.

quote:Originally posted by Lilloco

Its all good..but dont think Canada is the only one to lose unfairly because of bad calls..I can name you many examples of calls that have kicked out Honduras of major tournaments (including a non-existant penalty like this one)

Regarding the players falling down..hey it all comes from the Argentinian game we try to emulate (to bad this is the only part we get right)..its true players do that and i dont think that will change anytime soon...

That is why I suggested in another thread that Canada should have friendlies in South America to get used to these things, cause unless your playing Italy, you will never see it in Europe...

I agree Canada should play friendlies vs South American teams doest have to be Brazil or Argentina but there are countries that would be glad to face Canada like Colombia,Peru,Bolivia ect so we can get use to this types of refs!

Dreaming.

Any Canadian born and bred in the hockey culture, and whether you follow hockey or not it's there and effecting you, is never going to get used to the bitch dramatics you some times see. You expect it. You know when you're going to see it. But it won't change anything you're going to do, or how you react, or how you'll want a play to evolve.

Sorry. Just the way it is.

Had written in other posts that the Hondurians weren't that bad except on a couple of instances, those daming ones in particular.

Wee Elf was speachless. Told her it wasn't that bad for the most part. Is way, way better than it used to be.

But it's 95% of what's discrediting the game in NA. And now without reason.

If FIFA went back and examined those videos and retroactively punished this sort of cheating you'd see it cleaned up fast and some creditability restored to the game. At least in my eyes.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

Lilloco are you proud that your national team is made up of a bunch of diving pussies?

MA...he's on our board giving respectable posts, unlike a couple other guys ie: guatemala01 + soccerbeast (maybe the same guy who knows)

You could have posted what u said a lot more respectfully i think. Having said that, if u hadnt gotten any sleep since thegame i can't blame you form being frustrated as i know last nite iw as pretty mad myself.

And Lilloco: thanks for your posts, you're well informed and respecable....we've had problems in the past with opposing fans (guatemala and finish ones ot be exact) but you're a good source for a POV of the other side.

I have a right to ask him is he's proud of the conduct of his team, don't I? In retrospect I shouldn't have used such harsh words, but I'm a hothead and I was under duress. I actually enjoy reading Lilloco's posts and I hope he continues to post here.

By the way, I slept 4 hours last night because I'm still mad about the result.

Ya i didnt get much sleep either...and thats what iw as getting at....the whole idea of the post wasnt a bad one.....it was just the way you wrote it, but i do wonder the same thing too...

as my arginitinian friend put it this morning when i told him about the game...."that's football" i think thats what many central and south americans think about the diving and what not......and seeing my friend play soccer i can say that he takes that saying to heart....

Interesting and open comment by the Honduran coach.

http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/news_story.asp?ID=97613

Concerning replays, I ended up helping in the control booth at the match anyway, and the FIFA Match Commisioner Neil Mollineux of Trinidad and Tobago came in 20 seconds before kick-off and ordered us not to show the replays on the Jumbotron (which we had been planning to do) and not to announce the cards or ejections on the P/A (which we weren't going to do anyway). Replays at the Commonwealth are a respected tradition at Commonwealth, including past FIFA matches. The tech guys sure had to scramble to stop the replay feeds from the tv broadcast from automatically being played on the Jumbrotron.

Hmmm, I know this is often done in FIFA matches, but the timing sure makes me wonder whether this Warner bum boy had a good idea of what was going to be happening in terms of the officiating?

yeah, I noticed the replay thing....they quickly put the CSA logo on it..but I think it was from the last experience at Commonwealth where the players started to show the replay to the ref on the screen when he was saying that the hand ball had occured outside of the box. The ref still refused it then back in 2000 but it sure challenged his authority.

First time poster here.

Heving witnessed the travesty that occurred on Saturday night, I felt compelled to comment after reading many of your posts during the past few years.

First of all, what occurred on Sat. is not surprising in the least given the background of the other nations in CONCACAF. Corruption and cheating is a daily way of life in most of these countries, which clashes with our ideals of hard work and fair play. Having been to Central and South America before, I have seen this first hand. Given the reputation of the fearless Mr. Warner in his home country Trindad, it is no surprise that this corruption rears its ugly head in WCQ. And as for any complaints being lodged with FIFA, it won't do much since Warner is a very close ally of Sepp Blatter (an evil political alliance if I've ever seen one). Obviously, FIFA won't want to rock the boat in CONCACAF, otherwise Blatter might not get their votes for re-election.

Secondly, I do agree that pulling a team out of qualifying would come with sanctions from CONCACAF and FIFA, even possibly going so far as jeopardizing Canada's hosting of the U-20 World Championships in 2007. We may have to grin and bear it as usual and just support our boys to play hard and hope for some good results in the future qualifiers.

Thirdly, I do believe though that there must be a complete sweeping out of those in the CSA and replace them with those with some influence and passion. Having a friend who has attempted to get into the CSA but to no avail for many years (despite having qualifications and experience in sports admin as wide as this country), has given me more insight into the political nature of the organization. It seems that they behave not unlike the old admins at the CFL: protect your ass, don't rock the boat, very few new ideas.

Finally, as fans what can we do? Simply, just badger those at the CSA into action. For those of you involved in soccer, either at the youth level or higher, try to bend the ears of those in power at your particular club or if you are in power, then you have great power to effect change at the CSA. Remember, the largest percentage of revenues of the CSA come from player registrations. You may have to become political (not something most of us wish to do). Remember the CSA is as political as any organization in this country. That means treating those who are bringing soccer down in this country as the enemy. Backstab, be two-faced, do whatever it takes to effect change. For those not involved in the game currently, if you do not wish to become more involved on an administrative level then voice your concerns in every way possible, through the media (even though most outlets don't listen or respond), at matches (berating the referees when warranted, berating players for cheating), through your spending (ticket sales, merchandise etc). Other nations within CONCACAF may not change their ways but at least we will make our ways heard loud and clear.

P.S. I am very intrigued by the idea of relocating of WCQ matches to Europe, specifically England. Unfortunately, it is just not practical as they wouldn't draw enough supporters to make it feasible.

My only comment on the match and this thread is to say I am disappointed the Voyageurs present didn't put the boots to the Honduran knob who sailed into their crowd when they scored on the PK. A rare time I agree with Krammerhead. Cry me a river Lilloco. I would be ashamed to call myself Canadian if my players acted like the Honduran synchro diving team I saw Saturday night. Peace out.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

My only comment on the match and this thread is to say I am disappointed the Voyageurs present didn't put the boots to the Honduran knob who sailed into their crowd when they scored on the PK. A rare time I agree with Krammerhead. Cry me a river Lilloco. I would be ashamed to call myself Canadian if my players acted like the Honduran synchro diving team I saw Saturday night. Peace out.

Ed, I almost agree with you, but having cooled down a whole helluva lot since then, I have to say I am pretty proud that we did not get into it with the dumbass. We would have had an outright brawl, and that would not have done us any good at all.

To be honest, I almost clocked the guy myself. Instead, I yanked his frickin flag out of his hands. A few guys told him to get the frick out of our area, and a couple guys pushed him out. What I didn't know at the time was that when we scored our first goal, a couple of our guys had stormed into their area with a flag and taunted them. We ain't innocent, and in the end, we acted appropriately despite high emotions. Sometimes you've gotta fight, I agree, but it should always be a last resort, and it should always be based on good information. [^]

Archived