CP - Radzinski blasts CSA for travel

marcl_19

Guest Georgio

He is not only talking for himself. He is talking for the whole team. A player of his notoriety can and should do this (maybe with a little different tone though ...haha ... I find it so funny his broken english took some sting out of his comments though). Devos has done this too. Why can't some people here accept that a lot of things have to be addressed in the MNT and those in charge don't do enough. It shows leadership when something is amiss within the entire program and a leader on the team speaks out for everyone. Because if you only complain to the CSA, nothing gets done or it takes a really long time as we all know so bring in the media and the fans. Make the people at the top accountable.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Ref has a good point. WC qualifiers only come around every four years and an exception should be made for them. The financial fearmongering comments by Mr. Pipe really are a load of rubbish when you consider that since 1996 Canada has played only a handful of home WCup qualifiers. There is no doubt that Rad likes to stir the pot, however he is used to professionalism of the highest level in the EPL. The CSA are principally amateurs masquerading as professionals. When it comes down to it the World Cup is serious business, pretenders need not apply. I am sure Rad man and our boys want to be contenders to qualify, not pretenders.

If Mr. Pipe wanted to levy an extra toonie on my sons minor soccer registration in a World Cup qualifying year, I would gladly pay. Heck, I'd pay an extra $10 if it were explained properly. Maybe it would deter some parents, I don't know, however I am beginning to think the CSA are afraid of trying to levy extra money off youth soccer registrations BECAUSE THEY ARE AFRAID OF ANYTHING JEOPARDISING THEIR ANNUAL STATEMENT THAT SAYS SOCCER REGISTRATIONS GREW AGAIN THIS YEAR, ARE'NT WE BRILLIANT.

Maybe Rad is echoing sentiment in the rest of the camp, after all whether any of us like it or not he's still the only current Canadian squad member to have cut the mustard in the EPL and therefore can carry a big stick.

I for one am really, really glad to have Rad man lining up on our side on Saturday. I think Honduras really are worried about him.

When was the last time Canada went into a WC qualifier with one of our players actually striking fear in the opposition?

Guest Georgio

What I am wondering now is have they always flown economy?

Maybe in the past WCQ they always flew first class because:

a) not nearly as much money was put into the Youth programs (ie. european trips for u-17's)

B) the women's program has really demanded more attention and funding in the last few years.

and

c) there was less players flying over from europe/Russia/China in past WCQ.

It is hard to tell with Rad if he is whining but I think in this case he is speaking for everybody who is in that situation. Germany and Russia are particularly long flights. Maybe that is part of the reason Stalteri played horribly. Maybe he didn't get a wink of sleep one night a couple days before the game and his sleeping schedule never recovered compounded with jetlag and dealing with a new time zone (7 o'clock kickoff at swanguard is what? 5 a.m. the next day in Germany)

I am speculating of course because we don't have any details on this situation.

I don't think Radz is pampered or being a baby. He knows it is easier to keep his mouth shut but he is speaking passionately, just like most of us when we criticize something. On the surface it is easy to say "shut up you baby and just play for your country".

Radz is 100% right to criticize.

I felt bad for those guys from Belize coming up here with their rag-tag uniforms, no home soccer pitch, part-timers playing against professionals, etc.. These guys had no hope at all. I doubt whether they flew first class to Canada, but those guys are not going anywhere. Their goal was probably to score a goal or limit us to 1 or 2 a game. No offense to Belize but are we in the same category as them. It appears we are as far as our associations are concerned.

Believe me the seats make a huge difference. I don't know how many of you have had the opportunity to go on a LONG flight, but there have been times where I have had long Int'l flights in economy and my legs were jammed the whole flight. The next day it felt like I had been doing monster squats at the gym. I have even felt stiff 2 days later. Now you are probably thinking, come on it is just a seat we are talking about. Yes, but we are talking JAMMED in there. If the person in front of you puts their seat down you have even less room.

"Excuse me sir. My name is Tomasz Radzinski and I play for Canada's National Soccer Team. I am going home for a game in 2 days that could make the difference in our country qualifying for the World Cup, would you mind moving your seat up so I have fresh legs?"

"Maam, could you try and keep your screaming 1 year old twins from screaming in my ear? I need to sleep on this flight so I can adjust my body to Norh American time. Otherwise my body will feel like the 7:00 p.m. kickoff is actually 3:00 a.m."

How is this going to affect a player that is supposed to perform at his highest level for his country? You know the answer.

It is not like they give you champagne and caviar and give you a pedicure, which is what most people think. On long flights I pay the extra money and fly in Business Class. I have done the alternative and it affects you.

It is a necessity to have these seats, otherwise we are Belize.

One other point.

``We don't have a $40-million budget that U.S. Soccer has,'' said Kevan Pipe, the CSA's chief operating officer. ``We're already putting as much as we can into this.''

I hope that Pipe and the Executive are flying economy. It is imperative that the players </u>are rested. Who cares about the executives at CSA. He even admits it in this statement:

``We want our players to arrive relaxed from Europe to Vancouver or wherever. We want them ready, fit and able to play the game. We're certainly cognizant of the fact they have to go back to their clubs in the same type of condition.''

If anyone at the CSA is flying first class the should resign or be fired. If the players are not flying first class, they better not be. If they are flying economy I tip my hat. Somehow I don't picture these guys clammering into Economy though.

He said flying 12 to 14 players out of Europe first 10 times a year would cost the association $500,000 to $750,000.

``There is no easy solution,'' Pipe said. ``We're doing the very best we can in a very difficult situation.''

There is an easy solution you moron. Talk to your sponsor. I hope he is banging the phones, or flying out (economy) to Air Canada's head office to work a deal. If the cost is $500,000 to $700,000, work a deal. Put an Air Canada patch on the warmup jackets.

Tell them,

"Hey Mr. V.P. of Finance for Air Canada, these seats mean that it can help us qualify for Germany. If we make W.C.2006 do the math on 3,000 Canadians travelling at $1000.00 a pop."

V.P of Air Canada with $$$$$ in his eyes: "Thank you Mr. Pipe for bringing that to our attention. We are going to do everything we can to get your boys to Germany."

If Pipe is not doing any of this he should get fired. I will take over for him and get a deal done with Air Canada and then resign and let someone else take over. The only thing I would ask is 2 tickets to Germany (not economy). Air Canada probably don't even know what is going on. Actually I have a relative very high up in Air Canada. I am calling them tomorrow about this farce.

Hey, Mr. Pipe if you read this and want to steal this idea please do so. Just get something done you moron.

``There is no easy solution,'' Pipe said. ``We're doing the very best we can in a very difficult situation.''

should read: "There is an easy solution," Pipe said. "We are doing nothing."

A rather more positive spin on Radz' comments. In this article he sounds more like a patriotic guy standing up for his teammates than a whiner. The truth is probably somewhere in between, but it just goes to show how reporters can choose to spin a story however they like.... and believe me I know this from personal experience.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/Canada/2004/09/03/614650.html

Radz told them so

... Canuck striker weighs in on Rooney and flying home

By ROBERT TYCHKOWSKI -- Edmonton Sun

Tomasz Radzinski has never been one to bite his tongue, smile for the cameras and speak in mindless, politically correct soundbites.

Not when the honest answer is right there, tempting him like a slow rolling ball at the side of a wide-open goal, just waiting to be pounded home.

So when reporters approached the star striker and asked him about Everton teammate Wayne Rooney, Radzinski wound up and buried that slow roller into the heart of the mesh: The 18-year-old sensation is too big for Everton, he said, and the best thing he can do is get out as fast as he can.

You can imagine the chuckle Everton management got out of that one. It was like somebody on the 1982 Oilers telling Wayne Gretzky to bolt Edmonton.

"That advice cost me two weeks wages, unfortunately," grinned Radzinski, as he and the rest of Team Canada wrapped up their second-last workout before Saturday's World Cup qualifying match with Honduras.

But somebody somewhere along the line took it to heart because Rooney has just been dealt to Manchester United for a whopping $70-million transfer fee. Radzinski hates to say he told you so, but ...

"I think it's good for Wayne that he's leaving because the media attention was becoming too big for him in Everton. At Man United he's just going to be one of the many, many stars. They're going to leave him a little bit alone so he can have a normal 18-year-old private life now."

Radzinski, one of the best pure talents Canada has boasted in quite some time, also had a change of address. He turned down a three-year contract offer from Everton (the team that paid 4.5 million pounds for him in 2001, the highest transfer fee ever for a Canadian player) and was subsequently transferred to Fulham. He says the move is the best thing that ever happened to him, but is still appealing the Everton fine.

"Opinions are being asked about Wayne Rooney every day, so you give your opinion," he shrugged. "I thought it was not fair towards me after the service I provided to Everton for three years."

Now he's in Edmonton, for the first time since becoming a big-time Premier League striker, set and determined to help Canada pick itself off the ground, dust off that 99th-place ranking and play its way into the biggest show on earth.

"Everybody wants to play in the World Cup," said the 30-year-old Torontonian, who wasn't on the Canadian side during their ill-fated bid for a 2002 World Cup berth. "This time around it's something I've set my mind on. I spoke to every single guy on the team and they're going to do everything they can to get there. If you have that mentality I think you can achieve a lot."

Then we asked about the difficulty of bringing Canadian players home from Europe for these matches and, well, Radzinski pounced on that slow roller like a cat.

"Players are willing to be here, but the travelling arrangements are crap," he said. "We have examples of guys flying 24 hours in economy class, playing a game and flying back to their club teams.

"Coming over from Europe in economy class is very, very difficult. I don't know what kind of contract the Canadian team has with Air Canada, but to me it just seems like a lot of bull."

He says European teams have become reluctant to let Canadian players fly home because they're wiped out from the travel when they get back.

"I spoke to management and they don't have a problem with me going, as long as I come back fresh. Being on those stupid flights doesn't help."

So why come home? They could stay in England with their huge contracts, sold-out crowds and mass adulation, and blow off the Canadian call altogether. Why fly 20 hours from Europe to Vancouver to play for 6,725 fans, most of whom are cheering for Guatemala?

"The World Cup is the biggest event in the world for any sport and Canadians have only been to the big scene once, in Mexico '86. It's about time.

"And the young lads in this country who are going to the fields every single day and playing by the millions ... if we do get to the World Cup it's going to give a big boost."

And maybe he won't have to tell kids who idolize him that if they want to be players, get out of Canada.

"They pose the question, 'What can I do? The only answer I can give is: Any chance you get, get a try in Europe. Hopefully, if we do get to the World Cup, a small Canadian League can be formed and all the young kids who play this beautiful game can have a future."

Can this Canadian team deliver those goods?

"Definitely, quality-wise, we're better," he said. "I think there's a great deal of talent here and if I didn't believe we could get in I wouldn't be here, believe me."

I just flew Air Canada to Tokyo on economy..and it was absolutely brutal. No leg room, crappy service, crappy food. There is no way our soccer players should be subjected to this, as the recovery time is just too great.

However, I would gladly fly economy on many other airlines, as there is much better service, space and food. It is sad, but I now try to avoid Air Canada at all costs when I fly internationally.

Brilliant.

Well done, Radz.

Don't think Hargreaves has to worry about flying economy. And he's never spending 20 hours in airports and on airplanes, EACH WAY, and throwing his job on the line is he?

Someone should ask the CSA muppets who're defending this policy about that.

Hey, Mr. Sharpe, do you think Owen Hargreaves flys economy when he plays for England?

And realy I don't see what the big fuss is all about. He's not attacking Frankie, or a teammate, he's attacking the crap CSA which has shown it has no business and no interest in running the senior mens national team program.

Good on him. Need to hear more.

"Money , money , ain't it funny ...in a rich mans world " sorry ABBA

I really don't wanna defend the CSA . But the U's & the womens game , globe trotting as they do.

Corporate sponsorship needs to show returns . Without success how does the team reward the sponsors. Chicken and egg ....catch 22.

I dunno what the answer is..does any-one ?

Hey ! How much did that national stadium thingy cost ?

And the ARGOS will have a nice FieldTurf stadium with CFL lines ( excuse me a rectalinear field )

arghhhhhhhhhhhhh can we ditch the CSA and get a Dominion of Canada Soccer Ass'n :(

EDIT:

Oh yeah don't forget all the $$ The CSA shells out to support all the national amateur championships [:o)]

I would have to side with Radz on this. I am sympathetic to the CSA's claims of having no cash, but something has to be done, a way has to be found, especially if we are more often than not going to use Western Canadian facilities to play the games in. I had always assumed the players went first-class automatically, but I guess I was wrong. This is World Cup Qualifying, the most important event and the value of the benefits of qualifying for 2006 are beyond computation - priceless I think is the word. All stops must be pulled to accomplish this, and hopefully with his outburst that will be the case.

I also think his "a pile of crap and a big lot of bull" quote should be turned into a pro-Canada chant at Canadian soccer matches. :)

I will have to agree with Radzinski now as well. Not only is there a huge time difference between Europe and Canada, but the flight takes a long time as well.

I'm sure that being cramped in economy class doesn't do the players any good when they have to be fully rested for very important matches.

Complainer or no, the point is valid and applicable to all team members. Better still the messanger of said complaints be a player of Radz.'s status.

Would be so much easier to dismiss, oh I don't know, lets say a Tam Tsaliwa from future team selections were he to complain. Or a Jim Brennan. So on, so forth. But certainly not Radz. His complaints may just be an echo of others, and in fact I'm quite sure that they are, but he has the pull to present them.

quote:Originally posted by soccerbeast

When are you Radz fans going to seem him for what he is , trouble,

if one of the regular national team players wanted better seating,

then i would agree, but for this guy who only turns up once in a blue moon to play for the team, he has no right to complain.

Goddammit, would you read the damn article. It clearly states the following:

Pipe said that arrangement enabled Radzinski to fly first class from England for Saturday's game in Edmonton.

He's not looking for better seating for himself, he's looking for better seating for his teammates especially the one's that are coming from further away than the UK. He's using his status as a premier player to help out the rest of his teammates.

quote:Originally posted by soccerbeast

There is nothing wrong with economy flights, a seats a seat paid for

by joe taxpayer. No special privliges. No we are not England,Brazil etc

who could afford these little perks. Why didn't Radz complain about this prior to the Belize ties? Why now? Something sinister is going on?

Wow, you really are an idiot.

There is nothing wrong with Economy class if you fly for 4 hours or less. Anything more than that and your legs get severely cramped. And guess what part of your body you need most to play soccer with?

Jesus, stop the whining for the sake of whining. You don't like Radzinski, as you have repeated ad nauseum on this board. You are so blinded by this disdain for the man that you have to disagree with him on every stance he takes. I'm sure if he was quoted in the papers tomorrow saying that the sun rises in the east and sets in the west, you'd dispute that fact as well.

And think about it, if it's Radz or Pesch complaining about squeezing into economy, can you imagine what DeVos or McKenna have to go through??

Anyway boys, I'm off to Montreal for the weekend. Hope we all enjoy the match, and I'll catch back up here on Monday...

#99 - The Great Ones.

quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

Easy there.[}:)]

Well i can make a comparison here:

I flew last summer form halifax to belgium on Air Canada and the seats were so-so.

A week ago i came back accross the atlantic but i felw American airlines. More space, better seats and the lfight was actually cheaper, tho that had more to do with planning ahead more this time...

The second article definitly puts a different spin on his comments for sure. The only thing about His complaints is that it was him of all people, a guy who's blown off theteam on a few occasions....Now i'll admit he has shown better commitment to the team but that calf strain he had b 4 is still a bit iffy to me. And like some1 else said before, Why is radz complaining and deVos not? the guy's like 6-2 or something. Anyways, I suposed with how the CSA is run these days, public outcry maybe is the way to go...i just think that it would have more value if it came out of the mouth of one of the leaders on the team (JdV or Diesel etc...)

I just dont want the Rat to have any more excuses to not show up for s

us, cause lets face it, he's got a crap-load of talent and we probably need him to qualify. Here's to a couple goals from the Rat on saturday

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Wow, you really are an idiot.

The man should just accept his seat and get on with it, there is no reason any of them should be flying in business class. Just play football, leave the plane tickets to the CSA.

There is nothing wrong with Economy class if you fly for 4 hours or less. Anything more than that and your legs get severely cramped. And guess what part of your body you need most to play soccer with?

Jesus, stop the whining for the sake of whining. You don't like Radzinski, as you have repeated ad nauseum on this board. You are so blinded by this disdain for the man that you have to disagree with him on every stance he takes. I'm sure if he was quoted in the papers tomorrow saying that the sun rises in the east and sets in the west, you'd dispute that fact as well.

quote: So why come home? They could stay in England with their huge contracts, sold-out crowds and mass adulation, and blow off the Canadian call altogether. Why fly 20 hours from Europe to Vancouver to play for 6,725 fans, most of whom are cheering for Guatemala?

Absolute horse ****.

1) He didn't fly from Europe to Vancouver to play for 6,725 fans.

2) Most of the fans weren't cheering for Guatemala.

Absolute crap reporting once again from some prick reporter who wasn't at the game, so has to make up the story.

I sympathize, but I agree with all the posters who said that Radzinski is really not the guy to be complaining about this. If anyone, it should be the captain. But if not the captain, it should at least be someone who has shown commitment to Canada over the years. Radzinski has done nothing for Canada just yet. Instead, he continues to come across as someone who is too good for us.

Oh, and Tomasz, next time you give advice to young Canadians, please point out to them that we do have some good A-League teams. Telling them to give Europe a try is fine, but in this context there is no need to hope for a "small Canadian league" that might come as a result of WC qualification because such a league would be no better than what we already have! Then again, why anyone interested in Canadian soccer would listen to a guy who spends 11 months of the year in Europe and really hasn't been involved enough in the Canadian soccer scene is beyond me.

You are so blinded by this disdain for the man that you have to disagree with him on every stance he takes.

That kinda sounds like the attitude some people have towards soccerbeast. I happen to think that he does make some good points.

I sympathize, but I agree with all the posters who said that Radzinski is really not the guy to be complaining about this. If anyone, it should be the captain. But if not the captain, it should at least be someone who has shown commitment to Canada over the years. Radzinski has done nothing for Canada just yet. Instead, he continues to come across as someone who is too good for us.

Oh, and Tomasz, next time you give advice to young Canadians, please point out to them that we do have some good A-League teams. Telling them to give Europe a try is fine, but in this context there is no need to hope for a "small Canadian league" that might come as a result of WC qualification because such a league would be no better than what we already have! Then again, why anyone interested in Canadian soccer would listen to a guy who spends 11 months of the year in Europe and really hasn't been involved enough in the Canadian soccer scene is beyond me.

You are so blinded by this disdain for the man that you have to disagree with him on every stance he takes.

That kinda sounds like the attitude some people have towards soccerbeast. I happen to think that he does make some good points.

Archived