CP - Radzinski blasts CSA for travel

marcl_19

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why is it that the millionaire is complaining about the tickets. Buy your own. You aren't playing for Canada for the money (obviously) so if you truly care about it, go ahead an fork out the extra grand(3?) or whatever it'd be to get a first class return ticket. There are more important things to spend the money on than coddling immature soccer players.

Just my two cents.

Alex

quote:Originally posted by marcl_19

http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/news_story.asp?id=97274

9/2/2004

EDMONTON (CP) - Although Canadian shoot-from-the-lip striker Tomasz Radzinski is still appealing a fine for criticizing his former English soccer club last month, it didn't deter him from lining up the Canadian Soccer Association in his sights Thursday.

Radzinski, Canada's best offensive threat in Saturday's World Cup qualifying game against Honduras, said it's ``lots of bull and a big pile of crap'' that the CSA doesn't provide overseas players with first-class tickets to fly to Canada for games.

``They should stick their finger out of their ass and actually do something towards the players,'' he said. ``We have examples of guys flying 24 hours . . . in economy class and getting here and playing a game and going back to their club teams. It is just impossible to perform then,''

He said flying economy class ``is just very, very difficult.''

Radzinski complained that players don't know until they get to the airport whether their free upgrades from Air Canada will be honoured on any given flight.

``That is just unacceptable,'' he said. ``The travelling arrangements are just crap.''

Coach Frank Yallop and several players blamed the air travel and lack of preparation time for a shocking 2-0 opening-round loss to Guatemala in Vancouver two weeks ago.

CSA officials said they sympathize with the players, but Canada's $13 million national team budget can't cover any more travel costs.

``We don't have a $40-million budget that U.S. Soccer has,'' said Kevan Pipe, the CSA's chief operating officer. ``We're already putting as much as we can into this.''

He said the CSA buys more expensive economy tickets from sponsor Air Canada on the condition that if there is room on the plane they will be upgraded to business class. But if business class is sold out, they have to fly economy.

Pipe said that arrangement enabled Radzinski to fly first class from England for Saturday's game in Edmonton.

``We're still trying to explore every possible option,'' he said. ``We want our players to arrive relaxed from Europe to Vancouver or wherever. We want them ready, fit and able to play the game. We're certainly cognizant of the fact they have to go back to their clubs in the same type of condition.''

He said flying 12 to 14 players out of Europe first 10 times a year would cost the association $500,000 to $750,000.

``There is no easy solution,'' Pipe said. ``We're doing the very best we can in a very difficult situation.''

Radzinski is still fighting the fine of two week's salary levied against him by his old English Premier League club Everton for spouting off in the media over a contract dispute.

He said he doesn't regret anything he told the British newspaper, but he plans to fight to have the fine quashed or reduced at a Sept. 29 hearing.

``I don't think it was a big outburst,'' he said. ``It was just bad timing maybe and that's why I was got fined. I thought it was really not fair to me after the service I provided to Everton for three years.''

In the article he was quoted as saying that rising teenage English soccer star and teammate Wayne Rooney should leave the Liverpool-based club ``to better himself.''

Rooney was shipped to Manchester United this week for a transfer fee of more than $70 million.

``I think it is good for Wayne that he is leaving because for a young guy with his talent and that great a media attention, he was becoming too big for Everton,'' Radzinski said.

``Now with his move to Manchester United he will just be one of many, many stars on that team and I think it will help with his future career because I think they will leave him a little bit alone. He can have a normal 18-year-old private life now.''

Radzinski ended up turning down a three-year contract offer from Everton and signing with Fulham.

``I am enjoying it. Every single day is a new adventure. The training is fun. It is just a different setting. . . . it's a really good move for me.''

Notes - The Hondurans closed their practice Thursday, but the Canadians - dubbed the Men in Pink - invited media to come out to watch them work. They were wearing pink ribbons to show their support for the Canada Breast Cancer Foundation. . . Honduras has never played in Edmonton previously. . . . Edmonton Mayor Bill Smith declared the week Edmonton Soccer Week. In addition to the World Cup qualifier Saturday, 85 teams from across the province are in the city to compete in the senior provincial championships.

Anyone else find it weird that its the Rat coming out with complaints.....I just flew from Brussels to new yokr (8 hours) and then new york to halifax (2 hours) in economy calss and its really not that bad if you're on a decent airline. Radz get over it and get us into the world cup!

I do however understand where he is coming from....however lets face it, the article is rite, the csa just doesnt have the money that other FA's have

Honestly folks, if Charmaine Hooper can be held out to be a hero (which she has been on the V-board over the years) for demanding that our women's team get paid more money to beat up on the likes of Haiti & Jamaica 11-0, then it should be perfectly acceptable for Radz to complain that the CSA/corporate Canada aren't doing enough to ensure that our players are able to perform to the best of their capabilities for World Cup qualifying.

Actually it should be perfectly acceptable for him to do that even without the women threatening to go on strike to play Women's Gold Cup matches against Carribean nations.

And yes, maybe it would have been nice if Onstad, as captain had made these comments on behalf of the team, but he was given an opportunity to do so at a press conference and he said nothing, despite this being an important issue. If he's not going to then I've no problem with one of the highest-profile members of the team doing so instead. If it's affecting their performance adversely it needs to be remedied.

Guest Georgio

The fact that Radz has not been with the squad a great deal in the last 10 years is not relevant IMO either. He is high profile, is on the current team that is working towards Germany and is respected by the players in THIS WCQ!

Also why should Devos, who is not the captain be the MNT's resident 'boat rocker' every time there is a problem the whole team is facing. Didn't help him maintain his position as captain with Yallop thus far. So it's gonna have to be a player with nothing to lose, and with all the clout.

The only other person I could see complaining and who has done so in the past about problems is Stalteri.

I hope Radz puts in a couple goals against Honuras and everyone who has long flights gets first class from this point forward.

For the record, I disagreed with what Hooper did as well. I generally don't believe in "rock the boat" approaches to solving problems.

But if they're going to do it, I'd at least like to see it be someone who has proven that they really care about the team.

Guest Georgio

I guess we'll have to wait and see. If he sucks he'll have accomplished one thing - getting the first class flights for the fellas. If he scores he'll have a double wammy! [xx(]

If he accomplishes nothing, you have a free 'rub it in' on me, ok K-head?

Satisfied? You'll win the argument and Canada's Nats will be the same or worse off.

But Radz got himself a first class flight over here did he not, so if he sucks anyway he can't use that as an excuse. He's given the other Canadians an excuse to come out and play as crappy as they did against Guatemala though.

I don't want Canada to lose, and I don't hate Radz. I do however hat e that lying reporter who claims that Swangard was full of foreign fans.

Guest Georgio

Who said anything about Radz complaining that he in particular had to fly economy. He is complaining about an issue affects other players that is in dire need of addressing if the players are to perform to there full potential.

You either

a)wait till the end of qualifying when the players have not played at full potential and we likely do not qulaify and complain with 'excuses' or

B) you address the problem immediately and take the chance to have real concrete action taken by the CSA NOW and all parties recover from the outlash. If the team doesn't qualify in this scenario, atleast they'll have played that much closer there potential.

I agree with you about Swangard and that reporter who has to take a dig at Vancouver or read negative comments on this board and assumed the worst. But I also agree with many easterners (I live in the West) that more games should be played in the East because it makes sense. I am not saying zero games be played in the West. Like in this series of matches against Honduras and CR, it makes fine sense to have games in Swangard or Commonwealth. The Guat game should have been in Montreal or Quebec city.

Guest Georgio

Ok, Ok. Maybe he could have waited until after this series of games where the mood, chemistry and unity of CSA and players is pretty important. Then lash out afterwards and the CSA gets some time to think about it.

But on the flip side you do know that if we lost in that scenario people would all be saying at that time that Radz is just making excuses. You can't win when you are losing. So just say it and get it out of the way. I don't have a problem with Radz' decison to lash out, I think the players are professional, they know what is at stake and they will band together. I think by him lashing out now it shows confidence in the unity of the team behind his efforts so chemistry won't really faulter.

Ok, Anybody see how many flights Jazic had to go on to get to canada.

11 connecting flights. Now any guy who is willing to do that is passionate about his country and the CSA really needs to step up a provide better flights. No wonder Radz blasted the CSA. Now Radz is not the greatest spokes person but he is the highest profile of the players to the media. So I can only commend him on bringing attention to that.

11 flights in one/two days is just totally rediculous!

Guest Georgio

I believe Radz and Jazic are pretty close friends from what I hear, they have roomed together and keep in contact a lot. I think this is what spurred the criticism, but I am sure flying from Germany to Vancouver/Edmonton in economy is not sitting well with the team either.

quote:Originally posted by Georgio

why should Devos, who is not the captain be the MNT's resident 'boat rocker' every time there is a problem the whole team is facing. Didn't help him maintain his position as captain with Yallop thus far.

This got me thinking about something. Call me a conspiracy theorist, but Yallop has started to look a bit like a CSA crony lately, always towing the party line. Devos lost his captaincy under Yallop soon after going public about the need for changes (read: "get rid of Osieck") following the loss to Cuba at the GC. Could taking the captaincy away from Devos be CSA payback for JDV rocking the boat?

I certainly hope not, but given the murky and Byzantine manner in which the CSA operates, such things are within the realm of possibility. It might be interesting to have a private chat with someone close to the MNT and find out what really goes on.

Guest Georgio

I've always thought along the same lines Dave, but never mentioned it, because it can not be proven true or false. It is something that I wish we could explore too, then we would know for sure if Yallop is making decisions because they will help us win 100% of the time. Or if he subject to appeasement on the very issues that belongs entirely within his control, the selection of players and there roles. My general feeling is those outbursts by Devos didn't help, the CSA probably wasn't impressed and these feelings of displeasure were expressed to Yallop but not in the explicit manner of telling him that Devos should have the armband removed. And Yallop actually really, really digs Onstad - look at the faith he put in him at San Jose when all of there supporters were saying "get rid of Onstad". A goal keeper that could lose his designation as captain as soon as Lars is a legitimate Premiership keeper should not be the captain. It should be someone who has no chance of losing there position because of there sheer leadership and value to the squad. And that is Devos my friends.

quote:Originally posted by kokanne

Ok, Anybody see how many flights Jazic had to go on to get to canada.

11 connecting flights. Now any guy who is willing to do that is passionate about his country and the CSA really needs to step up a provide better flights. No wonder Radz blasted the CSA. Now Radz is not the greatest spokes person but he is the highest profile of the players to the media. So I can only commend him on bringing attention to that.

11 flights in one/two days is just totally rediculous!

I think he had 4 connections...

1) From Krasnodar to Moscow.

2) From Moscow to London.

3) From London to Calgary.

4) From Calgary to Edmonton.

...four connections ...and then play at 100% is ridiculous. I am not sure where the reporter got the 11 connections from.

Hi,

I have no problem with Rad’s outburst, and if can fix the problem now then great. Why should he wait until the end of WCQ to bring it up? The problem exists now. Think about it this way: buy bringing this to the attention of the public he is shaming the CSA into action (I hope). Obviously a 99th ranking isn’t enough to shame the CSA into action.

Rad has my full support on this. Perhaps this is the crappy treatment that has kept him from wanting to be involved in the past. Sure, he can pay for his own ticket, but why should he have to. That aside, he is helping the up and coming players to be treated better. These guys put their jobs on the line to play for Canada and they are being shoved in economy. If Air Canada is as bad as Air Transat then they have my utmost sympathy.

He is a little test for you all. Tell a non-soccer fan, or even one who is that doesn’t follow Canada, that our players have to fly economy to qualifying games for the World Cup. Everyone that I told was stunned.

It is time for some of you to stop defending the CSA and 18 years of stagnant leadership. Happy thoughts ain’t gonna change a god dam thing.

My dad worked for AC for over 30 years so I'm a bit more in support of them and other employees. At least those who weren't Canadian employees before the merger.

The real complaint about AC here is the lack of international flights. We don't even have a regular service to London with the exception of with Zoom. A flight from Edmonton to London would be about 8-9 hours.

Radz should try buying his own ticket as he would be able to get a flight on his terms.

quote:Originally posted by soccerbeast

There is nothing wrong with economy flights, a seats a seat paid for

by joe taxpayer. No special privliges. No we are not England,Brazil etc

who could afford these little perks. Why didn't Radz complain about this prior to the Belize ties? Why now? Something sinister is going on?

No we are not England, Brazil or more applicable; Mexico or U.S. or will we ever be close to that unless we aspire to higher things. Champagne results on a beer budget??? Get a little realistic. With the funding, commitment and mentality that "we do enough" for them to succeed we will be closer to Belize than we ever are to Mexico or USA.

Let's save some taxpayer's money and have the player's take public transit to the stadium and have their Moms pack them peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

You see what a lack of funding got us in the Olympics. By not competing off the field (first class travel, organization, nutrition, massage therapists, trainers etc.) we will never compete on the field with the U.S.A and Mexico or C.R., Honduras, T&T, Guatemala and Jamaica. If we do pull off the miracle of making it out of CONCACAF, on a beer budget, what types of results face us at the next level where we will then be against England and/or Brazil. Have "we done enough" to get them there, or are we leading lambs to a slaughter.

Champagne budget (Brazil) 6 - Beer budget (Canada) 0

"We did enough" to get our athletes to Greece. How many gold medals did that get us?

Hey fellas, does anyone know if there's a Motel 6 in San Jose Costa Rica? I was thinking about flying down in steerage and meeting the players at Denny's for breakfast?by the O

quote:Originally posted by Have Flag-will travel

One other point.

``We don't have a $40-million budget that U.S. Soccer has,'' said Kevan Pipe, the CSA's chief operating officer. ``We're already putting as much as we can into this.''

I hope that Pipe and the Executive are flying economy. It is imperative that the players </u>are rested. Who cares about the executives at CSA. He even admits it in this statement:

``We want our players to arrive relaxed from Europe to Vancouver or wherever. We want them ready, fit and able to play the game. We're certainly cognizant of the fact they have to go back to their clubs in the same type of condition.''

If anyone at the CSA is flying first class the should resign or be fired. If the players are not flying first class, they better not be. If they are flying economy I tip my hat. Somehow I don't picture these guys clammering into Economy though.

He said flying 12 to 14 players out of Europe first 10 times a year would cost the association $500,000 to $750,000.

``There is no easy solution,'' Pipe said. ``We're doing the very best we can in a very difficult situation.''

There is an easy solution you moron. Talk to your sponsor. I hope he is banging the phones, or flying out (economy) to Air Canada's head office to work a deal. If the cost is $500,000 to $700,000, work a deal. Put an Air Canada patch on the warmup jackets.

Tell them,

"Hey Mr. V.P. of Finance for Air Canada, these seats mean that it can help us qualify for Germany. If we make W.C.2006 do the math on 3,000 Canadians travelling at $1000.00 a pop."

V.P of Air Canada with $$$$$ in his eyes: "Thank you Mr. Pipe for bringing that to our attention. We are going to do everything we can to get your boys to Germany."

If Pipe is not doing any of this he should get fired. I will take over for him and get a deal done with Air Canada and then resign and let someone else take over. The only thing I would ask is 2 tickets to Germany (not economy). Air Canada probably don't even know what is going on. Actually I have a relative very high up in Air Canada. I am calling them tomorrow about this farce.

Hey, Mr. Pipe if you read this and want to steal this idea please do so. Just get something done you moron.

should read: "There is an easy solution," Pipe said. "We are doing nothing."

quote:Originally posted by soccerbeast

What should the CSA do to raise funds them? Start their own lottery?

Getting big name sponsors is going to be hard cause we are ranked 99th

in the world.

Pipe should be banging the phones talking to people or if he is "too busy" hire a gunslinger to attract sponsors. Are these guys at CSA proactive and make any outgoing</u> calls? Or do you think CIBC called the CSA. How many companies out there would be a sponsor if they were only contacted? I know that if I grew my company to that point I would. (Not ready yet) Do you think the CSA would send any feelers out in the biz community? Not a chance.

I get calls from crummy junior hockey teams and the B.C. Lion calibre teams about this sort of thing, but I WOULD HAVE TO CALL CSA ABOUT SPONSORSHIP. How many organizations even know that the CSA needs sponsors. They probably don't know about the opportunity.

I agree that attracting sponsors will be hard, but it not because of our ranking it is because of the clowns at the CSA - what sort of sponsor wants to pay for this top heavy organization. A sponsor would have to be hands on and ensure that their money gets spent on where they want it (youth programs, National Stadium sponsor, Men's & Women's W.C. teams)not on CSA expenses and business travel for the executive.

Archived