Simpson & Serioux likely to Millwall

Gian-Luca

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

Why is he called a starlet? Is he female?

I have always found that a strange term as well, as it means a female film star in North America.

It is a common UKism meaning "young potential football star". It probably comes from the 70's where the fresh faced longhaired new recruits seemed almost feminine in comparison with their grizzled older teamates. It's also a popular term for that in Asia and Australia:

http://www.soccerhut.net/home/read.php?id=8940

(see paragraph 8th from bottom)

Good lookin' coverage from the Star on this one today.

Lynx defender Serioux gets his big chance with Millwall

MICHAEL CLARKSON

SPORTS REPORTER

Defender Adrian Serioux of the Toronto Lynx has won a tryout with the English first division club Millwall in London.

Serioux, 25, is in his sixth season with the Lynx of the A-League and impressed Millwall when the Lions lost 1-0 to the Canadian national B team last month in Burnaby, B.C.

Millwall has also signed midfielder Josh Simpson of Victoria, who scored the only goal in that game, to a two-year deal.

"Both played very well for us," said Morgan Quarry, director of communications for the Canadian Soccer Association and off-field manager for Canada's World Cup team.

"Adrian is hard working, very athletic and a very good tackler. He's quite versatile as a defensive midfielder."

The 6-foot, 180-pound Serioux, a native of Scarborough, has never played for Canada's first team. Four years ago, he was an A-League second team all-star and Toronto's defensive player of the year.

Simpson has impressed Millwall's playing coach Dennis Wise.

"To be perfectly honest, Josh wasn't a player I was particularly aware of before we went on our Canadian tour," Wise said on the club's Web site.

"But he certainly caught our eye when we were there and really impressed me.... Josh is a young man with a bright future."

Simpson, 21, played this past season for the University of Portland. He'll join Millwall when it plays Plymouth tomorrow.

The Lynx host Vancouver tomorrow at 7:30 p.m. at Centennial Stadium.

quote:Originally posted by Varsity Tyler

Good lookin' coverage from the Star on this one today.

Lynx defender Serioux gets his big chance with Millwall

MICHAEL CLARKSON

SPORTS REPORTER

Defender Adrian Serioux of the Toronto Lynx has won a tryout with the English first division club Millwall in London.

Serioux, 25, is in his sixth season with the Lynx of the A-League and impressed Millwall when the Lions lost 1-0 to the Canadian national B team last month in Burnaby, B.C.

Millwall has also signed midfielder Josh Simpson of Victoria, who scored the only goal in that game, to a two-year deal.

"Both played very well for us," said Morgan Quarry, director of communications for the Canadian Soccer Association and off-field manager for Canada's World Cup team.

"Adrian is hard working, very athletic and a very good tackler. He's quite versatile as a defensive midfielder."

The 6-foot, 180-pound Serioux, a native of Scarborough, has never played for Canada's first team. Four years ago, he was an A-League second team all-star and Toronto's defensive player of the year.

Simpson has impressed Millwall's playing coach Dennis Wise.

"To be perfectly honest, Josh wasn't a player I was particularly aware of before we went on our Canadian tour," Wise said on the club's Web site.

"But he certainly caught our eye when we were there and really impressed me.... Josh is a young man with a bright future."

Simpson, 21, played this past season for the University of Portland. He'll join Millwall when it plays Plymouth tomorrow.

The Lynx host Vancouver tomorrow at 7:30 p.m. at Centennial Stadium.

Just to clarify: Josh Simpson scored against Hearts in second half injury time. Olivier Occean scored the goal against Milwall. Regardless, Simpson plyed well in both games, and he had a hand in both goals as he set up Occean's strike with a fabulous thread-the-needle pass.

Cheers!

Well, it looks as if Simpson will play against Plymouth if cleared in time:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/preview?id=151967&cc=5901

Plymouth v Millwall: Preview

PA

Plymouth are without last season's 15-goal top scorer David Friio for their Championship opener at home to FA Cup finalists Millwall.

Friio and new summer signing Lee Makel are both suspended, and will also miss Tuesday's trip to Brighton.

Former Motherwell star Keith Lasley is set to make his debut in midfield while David Worrell will start at right-back in the absence of Paul Connolly, who is recovering from a virus.

Central defender Hasney Aljofree (knee) is ruled out meaning skipper Paul Wotton, Graham Coughlan and summer signing Matt Doumbe will battle it out for the two central defensive positions.

Josh Simpson is awaiting international clearance to make his Millwall debut.

The Canadian wing-back signed a two-year contract this week and will feature if he is cleared to play in time.

Aston Villa striker Stefan Moore is also pushing for a place after completing a three-month loan switch.

But Paul Robinson and skipper Kevin Muscat are both still recovering from knee ligament operations.

Player-manager Dennis Wise has been nursing a calf injury but is expected to play a part.

quote:Originally posted by Chuck

Well, it looks as if Simpson will play against Plymouth if cleared in time:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/preview?id=151967&cc=5901

Plymouth v Millwall: Preview

PA

Plymouth are without last season's 15-goal top scorer David Friio for their Championship opener at home to FA Cup finalists Millwall.

Friio and new summer signing Lee Makel are both suspended, and will also miss Tuesday's trip to Brighton.

Former Motherwell star Keith Lasley is set to make his debut in midfield while David Worrell will start at right-back in the absence of Paul Connolly, who is recovering from a virus.

Central defender Hasney Aljofree (knee) is ruled out meaning skipper Paul Wotton, Graham Coughlan and summer signing Matt Doumbe will battle it out for the two central defensive positions.

Josh Simpson is awaiting international clearance to make his Millwall debut.

The Canadian wing-back signed a two-year contract this week and will feature if he is cleared to play in time.

Aston Villa striker Stefan Moore is also pushing for a place after completing a three-month loan switch.

But Paul Robinson and skipper Kevin Muscat are both still recovering from knee ligament operations.

Player-manager Dennis Wise has been nursing a calf injury but is expected to play a part.

Josh was cleared late last week, or early this week.

I talked to him yesterday, he trained with Millwall Thursday, and travelled with them this morning to Plymouth.

Both SoccerNet and the BBC are reporting that Josh is waiting for clearance, but they are both wrong, not sure where they are getting that from.

-Travis

perhaps I've missed it, but has anyone scoped out where you can catch the game over internet radio? I dunno about div 1 (or whatever its called now), but I'm able to get every weekend Saints game on internet radio.

I don't mean to sound negative, but I think its a little unusual that a 21 year old raw rookie will be starting a competitive game with a team he's barely trained with. Man, they must really, really, REALLY be high on him. I sure hope he does well if he gets a chance!

quote:Originally posted by shaku_bert

perhaps I've missed it, but has anyone scoped out where you can catch the game over internet radio? I dunno about div 1 (or whatever its called now), but I'm able to get every weekend Saints game on internet radio.

You can listen to it through Millwall's site, but you have to subscribe (£35).

Guest Can. in UK

The Millwall web-site has announced that Serioux "will sign in the next 24 hours" but won't have international clearance to play until the weekend.

Guys, straight from the club's official website:

Breaking News:

Serioux set to sign

The Lions are set to land their second Canadian. Following the arrival of Josh Simpson last Wednesday, 25-year-old defender/midfielder Adrian Serioux is expected to sign on the dotted line within the next 24 hours. Like Simpson, Serioux, formerly of Toronto Lynx, starred for Team Canada in their 1-0 win over Millwall during the recent pre-season tour. Dennis Wise's latest acquisition will have to wait for his debut, however, as international clearance will not be received in time for him to be involved against Wigan Athletic on Tuesday night. Adrian is pictured here in action for Team Canada against Millwall's Kevin Braniff.

Guest Can. in UK

From Sky Sports:

Millwall are set to sign their second Canadian player in a week by snapping up defender Adrian Serioux.

The 25-year-old, who can also play in midfield, is expected to put pen-to-paper with The Lions this week after impressing player-manager Dennis Wise during the club's pre-season trip to Canada's West Coast last month.

The Toronto Lynx player featured against the Championship side when he played in a Canada 'B' squad that beat Wise's men 1-0 in Vancouver, British Columbia.

The Scarborough, Ontario native will follow fellow compatriot Josh Simpson in signing with the South East London club for the new campaign.

Simpson also impressed The Lions with his displays for the Canada 'B' squad against them and Scottish Premier League side Hearts in July.

The midfielder signed a two-year deal with Millwall last week and appeared on the bench in the club's season-opening draw at Plymouth Argyle on Saturday.

Guest Can. in UK

Serioux played in a reserve match last night... against ARSENAL. The Gunners line-up included Robert Pires, Freddie Ljunberg and Robin Van Persie.

Millwall lost 4-1, but apparently Serioux "gave a good account of himself". Sounds positive.

Archived