Simpson & Serioux likely to Millwall

Gian-Luca

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man, this is great news, and further argument for more of these tournaments. This was a win-win-win situation. Frank gets a look at some fringe players, we get a couple of games on home turf, and our lads get exposure for possible transfers etc.

I'd love to see Simpson in Europe. He's got a sort of Macmanaman feel to him. (Not that I've felt him or anything--perhaps I should have said he's got a Macmanaman "look" to him.

It'll be interesting to see how they get into England given the visa difficulties. Milwall may be banging its head against the brick wall.

No one has answered the question about whether either have EU passports or British grandparents, or if the British have changed their visa policies.

I imagine that codegoat would be able to answer the question about Simpson. I didn't think Serioux had a Euro-passport and he wouldn't be able to get a permit under either criteria (Canada's ranking hasn't been on average aboe 75 in the last two years and he obviously hasn't played in 75% of Canada's matches in the past year). However, maybe he does have the Euro-passport, as Millwall must be showing an interest in signing for a reason

quote:Originally posted by snake

simpson is the real deal, its great that he will take the next step in his development in the english 1st division.also we should soon be getting bits about where hume will wind up this season.

What does "the real deal" mean? I see it frequently on Big Soccer and wonder exactly what it is intended to convey. Its an honest question, not an attempt to be a smart alec.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

What does "the real deal" mean? I see it frequently on Big Soccer and wonder exactly what it is intended to convey. Its an honest question, not an attempt to be a smart alec.

I BELIEVE THAT REAL DEAL MEANS ABOVE THE HYPE.

I would say that "real deal" means he has the talent, athleticism, conditioning, discipline, mental sharpness, focus, determination, and commitment to play the game well at the professional level. Whether or not he does remains to be seen, but he sure looks the part.

The "real deal" means something of substance, and not just of rumour or hearsay.

For example, the claim of "Simpson and Serieux to Millwall" is not the "real deal", since the only reference we have is a post from a web forum. (unless someone can vouch for the poster)

So let's not count our chickens just yet...

This confirms that the play of Simpson and Serioux did warrant the kind of praise and speculation that some of us having been giving them on this board. These games DID mean something and obviously Millwall took it upon themselves to consider those matches as good indicators of skill and talent level. I am sure that Yallop has too and all of this basically quashes any of the "meaningless friendlies" arguments put forward by some posters.

quote:Originally posted by nolando

This confirms that the play of Simpson and Serioux did warrant the kind of praise and speculation that some of us having been giving them on this board. These games DID mean something and obviously Millwall took it upon themselves to consider those matches as good indicators of skill and talent level. I am sure that Yallop has too and all of this basically quashes any of the "meaningless friendlies" arguments put forward by some posters.

Being at the game, I can definately confirm this. They both definately played very well.

Nolando, one thing has nothing to do with the other. No one said the friendly was meaningless, but it's not a full international, it's not a World Cup qualifier and it doesn't mean that anyone who played in it and looked good is better than any of the 18 that played against Belize. It doesn't mean they aren't better either. That friendly proved little other than the fact that Simpson has talent. But we knew that already. Serioux has been one of the better prospects in the A-League for awhile. They're good players, I don't think anyone is saying they aren't, but it's tough to say they're definitely better than the 18 pretty damn good players we're using already.

Transferring to a decent English 1st Div team doesn't change anything other than the fact it would be great for both player's development.

Having two players go to Millwall doesn't make them ready to start a World Cup qualifier. That was all I was ever arguing against.

cheers,

matthew

Please note that I (carefully) used the word "likely" in the title of the thread - I wasn't suggesting that this is a 100% confirmed "real" deal. Though I think it's true, unless there's a conspiracy amongst Millwall & USL Discussion posters to pretend Serioux caught the interest of Millwall, as we have reports from two different posters on two different boards.

Also, it might explain why Adrian was sitting next to us in the stands at the last game......

Yeah, they meant something to Simpson & Serioux, of course. But the guys who they were playing against didn't give a hoot. They were just looking to get into shape.

quote:Originally posted by snake

simpson is the real deal, its great that he will take the next step in his development in the english 1st division.also we should soon be getting bits about where hume will wind up this season.

Is he leaving Tranmere??

[?]

quote:Originally posted by Joe05

Yeah, they meant something to Simpson & Serioux, of course. But the guys who they were playing against didn't give a hoot. They were just looking to get into shape.

Were you at any of the games? Because if you were you could see the opposition did give a hoot. If not then you aren't in any position to make such comments.

Originally posted by The Beaver

Man, this is great news, and further argument for more of these tournaments. This was a win-win-win situation. Frank gets a look at some fringe players, we get a couple of games on home turf, and our lads get exposure for possible transfers etc.

I agree with the Beaver. But I feel that unless everything is in order with regards to passports and such there's no way either Simpson or Serioux will be able to play in England.

Am I the only guy who thinks that the matches versus Belize (albeit playing against the poor outclassed Belizeans playing their hearts out) were themselves pretty piss-poor indicators of our players' abilities? I mean really, think about that if you want to talk about quality of opposition (like discounting the players vs Millwall and Hearts while in the same breath lauding those who played in the dominant performance over mighty Belize)as a way of gauging Canadian players' "true" talent level.

Guest Jeffery S.

We have to remember that Simpson has a lucrative scholarship which he has not jeopardized at Boulder Rapid's Reserves, and with only a year left, what do you do: lose your university education and NCAA status, or speculate on going pro when you are going to be hard-up for 1st team action and will likely live on the reserves?

I think if you read all the posts on the other thread, you would have noticed that there were a number of posters who raised the Belize game as not being true test for those players who played in that game.

A better indicator of player value is objective third party opinion provided by the market for players as imperfect as it is. We have a number of players playing regularly at the top level in various European countries and three playing regularly in two of four leagues that are generally acknowledged to be the top leagues in Europe. I think if a professional team is prepared to put a Canadian player on the pitch it means something about their their quality.

If this development is true and Millwall has expressed interest in these two players, it also means something about the value or potential value of these players as does the fact that Yallop chose to play them. However, even Millwall will be sure to test these players further in reserve games and if they pass these tests, they are likely to dress as subs for a few games before ever getting a start. I would suggest that Yallop will likely do the same before giving them the start in a WCQ.

As said earlier, the work permit is not a slam dunk by any means unless they are eligible for euro passports. Heck, even Diego, a Brazilian midfielder getting playing time at this year's Copa America, did not qualify for a work permit when Tottenham wanted him.

As pointed out by Jeffrey, I think Simpson needs to think long and hard about scholarship issues. At Millwall, there are no guarantees. He could play NCAA for another year and make himself available to the National team. If he is capable of working his way onto that team and maintain his scholarship, it may be a worthwhile option to consider.

Am I the only guy who thinks that the matches versus Belize (albeit playing against the poor outclassed Belizeans playing their hearts out) were themselves pretty piss-poor indicators of our players' abilities? I mean really, think about that if you want to talk about quality of opposition (like discounting the players vs Millwall and Hearts while in the same breath lauding those who played in the dominant performance over mighty Belize)as a way of gauging Canadian players' "true" talent level.

Personally, I think Simpson should go pro now and finish his last year by correspondence/summer school if possible (not sure how possible that is). I think his development will be stunted by another year in college and from his performances in Victoria it seems likely that he should have a shot a cracking the 1st team at Millwall (or at least getting some playing time). If he can't crack Millwall at 21, then he is not as good as people think.

I wasn't saying he shouldn't go pro nor was I say that wouldn't get playing time if he went to Millwall. In fact, I would expect that he would and as a starter eventually. I was saying that he needs to carefully consider his options which I suspect he would be doing.

quote:Originally posted by An Observer

Personally, I think Simpson should go pro now and finish his last year by correspondence/summer school if possible (not sure how possible that is). I think his development will be stunted by another year in college and from his performances in Victoria it seems likely that he should have a shot a cracking the 1st team at Millwall (or at least getting some playing time). If he can't crack Millwall at 21, then he is not as good as people think.

quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

Were you at any of the games? Because if you were you could see the opposition did give a hoot. If not then you aren't in any position to make such comments.

Well that's a good point K,because I wasn't at the games. But I also have a basic understanding of how these athletes think, and while I'm sure there was some effort put out, I'm sure Millwall wasn't playing with the same intensity of the FA Cup final or in a league game vs West Ham. These pre-season friendlies don't have the same meaning to the players, so they don't go the extra distance to get the result.

Archived