Simpson & Serioux likely to Millwall

Gian-Luca

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Millwall fans are not expecting much from him, basically saying hes coming from an amateur football team. Also one mentioned how he wished Bircham was back at Millwall. I guess we'll see what happens on Saturday, hopefully he gets to make an appearance. I'm sure he'll bring a spark to their squad with his pace, work rate, and skill.

I am so damned proud of Josh. And Adrian (I hope we get confirmation of his transfer soon).

Now imagine how this sort of event--the scouting and signing of two NA based players--will impact the A-league and our young players in the future. If other English teams come to Canada in the future for similar preseason warm-ups, then our lads in NA will be doing their damnedest to impress. This means doing their damnedest DURING the season, because the only way to get selected to this team is to impress prior to the tournament. The only thing the CSA needs to do--or the BCSA or OSA etc--is to set another similar tournament with a couple of UK teams at the beginning of the A-league season. Would that not be amazing incentive?

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

I am so damned proud of Josh. And Adrian (I hope we get confirmation of his transfer soon).

Now imagine how this sort of event--the scouting and signing of two NA based players--will impact the A-league and our young players in the future. If other English teams come to Canada in the future for similar preseason warm-ups, then our lads in NA will be doing their damnedest to impress. This means doing their damnedest DURING the season, because the only way to get selected to this team is to impress prior to the tournament. The only thing the CSA needs to do--or the BCSA or OSA etc--is to set another similar tournament with a couple of UK teams at the beginning of the A-league season. Would that not be amazing incentive?

This is what we need to exactly happen. Say, 3 or 4 teams from the UK, teams at the same kind of level such as Hearts and Millwall, ie; West Ham, Hibs, Wolverhampton, etc. Just coming here to play a couple of games, getting players from the A-League and other Canadians on the development team recognized by these clubs. Before we know it we could have plenty of Canadians playing in the English Championship (The old 1st division) teams. Kinda exciting when you really think about it!

Looks like the Simpson news is being spread pretty quickly. Theres an article on UEFA.com about him; this is great exposure for our Canadian pacey left winger!

From UEFA.com

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/UEFACup/news/Kind=1/newsId=212433.html

Josh Simpson in action for his country (©Getty Images)

Simpson snapped up by Millwall

Wednesday, 4 August 2004

UEFA Cup contenders Millwall FC have signed Canada defender Josh Simpson on a two-year contract.

He is very direct, fast and a player of real promise and ability

Dennis Wise

'Real promise'

The 21-year-old left-back, who can also play on the wing, impressed Millwall manager Dennis Wise during the English first division club's recent Canadian tour. Wise said: "Josh may only have just turned 21, but he has a lot of quality about him. He is very direct, fast and a player of real promise and ability."

Rapid rise

Simpson, who had been playing for the University of Portland in the United States, has made a rapid rise through the ranks of Canadian football. He impressed at the FIFA World Youth Championship last December before earning his first international cap in a 2006 FIFA World Cup qualifier against Barbados in January, which Canada won 1-0. He also played for his country in their Olympic Games qualifiers.

FA Cup finalists

Millwall will enter the UEFA Cup in the first round after reaching last season's FA Cup final, losing 3-0 to UEFA Champions League qualifiers Manchester United FC. The London club have also signed goalkeeper Graham Stack on loan from Arsenal FC and former Chelsea FC midfield player Jody Morris.

There's a few pieces on the Millwall official site you guys may not have seen (because you have to register before you can read it)

quote:

Den delighted to get his man

Dennis Wise has spoken of his delight after exciting young Canadian Josh Simpson put pen to paper on a two-year deal at The Den, subject to international clearance.

Speaking exclusively to www.millwallfc.co.uk Lions boss Wisey enthused: "To be perfectly honest Josh wasn't a player I was particularly aware of before we went on our Canadian tour. But he certainly caught our eye when we were there and really impressed me.

He gave us a hard time when we played Canada and then did exactly the same against Hearts. Josh may only have just turned 21, but he has a lot of quality about him; he is very direct, fast and a player of real promise and ability.

Not many people over here will have heard of him, but Josh is a young man with a bright future. He will join up with the other lads for training tomorrow and we'll take it from there."

and also

quote:

Josh's joy

Josh Simpson is relishing the prospect of making his mark in English football after completing a two-year deal with The Lions, subject to international clearance.

The 21-year-old, pictured here at The Den just minutes after signing, can't wait to meet up with his new team-mates at training on Thursday.

Speaking exclusively to www.millwallfc.co.uk Josh said: "This is just amazing for me. When Millwall came over to Canada for the tour a few of us were really keen to try and make a good impression."

That was clearly the case regards the left-sided player, and he jumped at the chance of joining up with The Lions, adding: "This is a dream come true for me. I'm really looking forward to the challenge and hope that I get a chance to play in front of the Millwall fans as soon as possible."

I do wonder if we're going to sign Serioux, actually. The strong rumours coming out of the club today prior to the signing was we were going to sign ONE of the Canadians we'd been looking at. It seems now that it was Simpson. Not that it necessarily counts Serioux out but I suspect we'd have done both deals at the same time.

quote:Originally posted by The HOFmeister

I do wonder if we're going to sign Serioux, actually. The strong rumours coming out of the club today prior to the signing was we were going to sign ONE of the Canadians we'd been looking at. It seems now that it was Simpson. Not that it necessarily counts Serioux out but I suspect we'd have done both deals at the same time.

According to Josh's parents, they mentioned yesterday that Adrian Serioux is now in London, England with Josh. This is perhaps a clear indication that Millwall, together with Serioux's former club (Toronto Lynx), are still sorting-out the transfer deal. Serioux is still tied to a club, and for this reason his release will take some time.

quote:Originally posted by sstackho

What happened to Josh's flowing locks? Is that some requirement of playing in England?

First Lars, and now this? At least Pesch is still holding out. :)

It was getting to the point where he needed to wear a headband, I think all round, it was just starting to bug him ;)

Maybe he'll grow it back out? ;)

quote:Originally posted by Luis_Rancagua

According to Josh's parents, they mentioned yesterday that Adrian Serioux is now in London, England with Josh. This is perhaps a clear indication that Millwall, together with Serioux's former club (Toronto Lynx), are still sorting-out the transfer deal. Serioux is still tied to a club, and for this reason his release will take some time.

I heard that too, but I haven't had a chance to talk to Josh since he landed in London, so I can't confirm that for sure.

Great news. Man, I still remember Josh beating his marker on the left

flank during the U20 game vs. Spain. The announcer was clearly impressed by him,Hume, and Andres Arango.

Unfortunately, now the club we'd love to hate is one we have to cheer for. Oh well, go Millwall!

Serioux Signings Ahead

By Lee Owen

Date: 5/8/2004

SNIPPET | Over the past week at MillwallOnline it's been our pleasure to read posts from the Canadian fans of Josh Simpson and Adrian Serioux. We welcomed Josh's brother with open arms and invite you to do the same on his site and recently Luis_Canuck has been informing us of Adrian's progress.

Luis_Canuck tells us "It has been unofficially confirmed that the other Canadian Andrian Serioux has now signed with Millwall. This unofficial news comes directly to me through a close contact of Adrian. Millwall is indeed expected to make an announcement soon, perhaps within the next 24-hours." View here.

"Guys, marked my word this guy is one tough defenseman. He's no ***** cat. He's one tough son-of-bitch on the pitch. He had a reputation of being the most lethal defenseman. He knows how to mark a man right-up to the last second of the game. I promise that he will NOT disappoint. Cheers Luis from Canada"

And a couple of days ago Louis informed us, "As per the other Canadian, Adrian Serioux: According to Josh's parents, they mentioned yesterday that Adrian Serioux is now in London, England with Josh."

"This is perhaps a clear indication that Millwall, together with Serioux's former club (Toronto Lynx), are still sorting-out the transfer deal. Serioux is still tied to a club, and for this reason his release will take some time. As for Josh, he was NOT tied to a club, and this is why his signing came first." View here.

So it would appear Adrian Serioux is set to sign within the next 24 hours. Visit Josh Simpson's website here.

http://millwall.rivals.net/default.asp?sid=937&p=2&stid=8355155

Yeah, and not to pounce too viciously on Luis, but heralding Serioux in such terms could lead to very silly expectations, especially if the claims are not remotely true. From Luis' posting, I get the impression that Serioux is more like Adam Foote than any footballer I know. Still, I guess not much can be lost my such claims. The Milwall fans may be misled, but Serioux will show his true quality and nature, and they can judge him on performance rather than hearsay. (I must admit, my Canadian nature was hoping for a more measured, savvy description from our Canuck ambassador to Milwall--Luis the Excited.)

Archived