Cash Call / Collapse of Aviators??

fishman

As per Chet's post...

SPORTS Thu, July 15, 2004

That crashing sound

SCOTT ZERR, EDMONTON SUN

A turbulence that has enveloped the Edmonton Aviators may cause a crash landing before the inaugural flight has ended. The 19 investors in the first-year soccer franchise are scheduled to meet Sunday, at which time a major cash call will be required to keep the A-League team operational for the rest of the 2004 season.

While chairman of the board Tom Newton wouldn't pinpoint the specific dollar figure needed, he did tell the Sun yesterday that a significant influx of cash is necessary to keep the club going.

"There are a number of possibilities. It is possible we may have seen the last men's game," said Newton, referring to Tuesday's matchup against Vancouver.

END OF THE SEASON

"We may try to run it until the end of the season, but it will take quite a bit of money. I wouldn't rule out the possibility of us coming back next season, but it will take a dramatic increase in support before the end of this season.

"I just don't know how long you can keep flogging a dead horse. I'm trying right now to minimize the bad things that could happen."

The Aviator women's team wraps up its inaugural W-League regular season tomorrow night in a game at Foote Field. The men's team is slated to play Saturday night in Milwaukee (a makeup date from an earlier postponement) with its next home match scheduled for July 20.

"I have tremendous confidence in Tom. If anybody can make it work, it's Tom," said investor Eric Young.

Joe Petrone, the director of soccer operations, and men's head coach Ross Ongaro have been roundly criticized in the local soccer community and the pair's history of being affiliated with failed teams in Edmonton is undeniable.

Newton did defend their work with the Aviators to a point.

"I have the utmost respect for Joe and his ability to deal with his contacts," offered Newton.

"He opened doors that no one else could have, but I personally believe he's not an administrator. He's a people person and we need to have somebody document what Joe does.

"As part of our agreement (with EMSA) we had to keep a lot of local players and I know that Ross wanted to keep three or four players, but our policy said he couldn't. I think he's done a good job given the handcuffs that were placed on him but I think everyone underestimated the quality of the A-League."

Newton admitted the club has made several huge mistakes in its first year, maybe none bigger than choosing to play at Commonwealth Stadium, with the expectations of drawing 11,000 fans per game.

Newton said that Tuesday's attendance of less than 2,000 wasn't enough to cover the cost of running the stadium's jumbo screen, let alone pick up the tab of the players' pay and travel fees.

The team did play June 22 at Clarke Park and it was unquestionably a better fit. If the franchise returns next season, a revamped Clarke Park with seating of about 6,000 would be an ideal venue.

By having to rejig a large chunk of their schedule due to the priority given to the Eskimos and Churchill Cup rugby, the Aviators played only three weekend games instead of 11 as originally planned.

With the small turnouts for the weekday evening games and the fact that using Commonwealth is "about four times more expensive than any other team in the league pays for their stadium," according to Newton, the Aviators budget crunch came quickly.

NO ONE IN PARTICULAR

Newton, who also assumed the role of interim president when Wylie Stafford resigned last month, refused to lay blame for the team's financial woes on anyone in particular, although the Aviators' agreement with Edmonton Minor Soccer Association to put some 30,000 passes into the community has failed miserably. Being forced into playing weeknight doubleheaders during May and June certainly didn't help the cause.

"Our execution has not been as good as it could have been. We've dug ourselves a pretty big hole," said Newton.

Among the trail of debts the team is starting to leave is the fact that Aquila Productions, which operates the jumbo screen at Commonwealth, has been paid for only one of six games it has worked.

Newton has also become aware that a number of players on the team have not had the incentive clauses in the contracts fulfilled (such as $150 for dressing for a game) and that defender Claudio Salinas bolted last month when the team failed to follow through on the promise of flying his wife and child here from Chile.

"My No. 1 concern right now is making sure that our players are getting paid," said Newton.

"I have no problem paying them what was promised. When I stepped in I realized there was a lack of systems in place. If there is a problem with the incentives and bonuses it may very well be an informational process. I am not going to screw any of the players out of 150 bucks."

This is why football clubs in England hire CEOs that are not fans of the sport... you need someone with business sense to keep an eye on the bottom line.

And as for getting 11,000 seats filled per game.... any idiot could have told you how goofy that expectation was.

Hey, if idiots have $500,000 burning in their pocket, might as well let them blow it on an A-League expansion franchise. The league coffers probably aren't looking too bad right about now...

However, the club admits that Clarke Stadium is a much reliable option. These are actually comments coming straight from the management after the Aviators game on June 22/2004. If the club is planning to return (I hope), Clarke is surely on the agenda. Clarke Stadium is expected to get a face-lift next year by the the city, thus bringing the seating capacity of the stadium to 6,000 seats.

If that's the case, why in the hell did they select monster-size Commonwealth as a venue??? What were they thinking??? Even Rick Titus warned the management on that option. Titus even stated that this is economic suicide.

quote:Originally posted by fishman

As per Chet's post...

Joe Petrone, the director of soccer operations, and men's head coach Ross Ongaro have been roundly criticized in the local soccer community and the pair's history of being affiliated with failed teams in Edmonton is undeniable.

But what would a coach have to do with a clubs financials? Its not his job to sell tickets and control the costs. I am always amazed at who the media often digs up as scapegoats.

quote:Originally posted by Luis_Rancagua

However, the club admits that Clarke Stadium is a much reliable option. These are actually comments coming straight from the management after the Aviators game on June 22/2004. If the club is planning to return (I hope), Clarke is surely on the agenda. Clarke Stadium is expected to get a face-lift next year by the the city, thus bringing the seating capacity of the stadium to 6,000 seats.

If that's the case, why in the hell did they select monster-size Commonwealth as a venue??? What were they thinking??? Even Rick Titus warned the management on that option. Titus even stated that this is economic suicide.

Obvious you haven't seen Clakre Park.

I'll leave it at that.

Seems to me the A-League is as much to blame here. Had they taken Rick Titus and his partner as owners of this franchise they wouldn't be in so much trouble. Titus knows the fan base of the A-League, wouldn't underestimate the talent in the league, would have played out of Clarke Parke from the beginning, no need for an expensive jumbotron (how many A-League teams shave a frigging jumbotron in their stadium?) most likely wouldn't have taken on the added burden of a womens team) and generally would have known what he was doing.

quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

Seems to me the A-League is as much to blame here. Had they taken Rick Titus and his partner as owners of this franchise they wouldn't be in so much trouble. Titus knows the fan base of the A-League, wouldn't underestimate the talent in the league, would have played out of Clarke Parke from the beginning, no need for an expensive jumbotron (how many A-League teams shave a frigging jumbotron in their stadium?) most likely wouldn't have taken on the added burden of a womens team) and generally would have known what he was doing.

If worse comes to worse, what are the chance that Rick Titus and partner take over the club??? Surely this will come with changes of the name of the franchise. Perhaps the revival of the "Driller" name.

If worse comes to worse, what are the chance that Rick Titus and partner take over the club??? Surely this will come with changes of the name of the franchise. Perhaps the revival of the "Driller" name.

Haha, nice!

Geezus, people.

Get your **** together up there. And be quick about it. We need a couple of stable teams out Alberta way if we're ever going to get a club in The 'Peg.

It all dose sound oh, so familiar though. Nothing but bad news will ever come out of the media from now on. And if that's true, you're as good as sunk.

Nothing but the ghoulish death watch so all those baseball/football/basketball/hockey reporters can crow about how they told you so. How soccer would never fly.

Wonderful. Made my evening.

Hope you lot can find your feet sooner rather than later. Don't want to wait until after Germany 2006 to get some local pro (semi-pro?) footie in.

I shouldn't, but...

DoyleG, I know you, as well as many others, are committed to Commonwealth as the only viable venue.

If I take your argument as sound, which it may very well be (given the state of other potential venues) then does it not follow that the franchise itself wasn't viable in such a stadium? And that the ownership group should have worked with city council to try to augment Clarke Park?

Recent comments from Al Mauer, City Manager, shows they are willing to look at improving Clarke to meet league requirements.

Thus, one is left with the impression that the ownership group indeed felt that Commonwealth was required to host the large crowds they projected. Again, I know you feel that 11,000 was a long-term goal, but consider the recent comment about 2,000 not even paying for the Jumbotron...do the math. They needed large numbers in the stands to break even.

So...we are again left with the doom and gloom that perpetually follows professional soccer in Edmonton.

Facelift at Clarke? That is news to me? I haven't read anything in the papers here in Edmonton suggesting a facelift for Clarke Park. Here is what I think went wrong and you don't need a rocket scientist to figure it out:

(1) Commonwealth Stadium - Why play in 60,000 stadium when they are only getting 2,000 - 3,000 a Game, Doesn't make sense to me!

(2) Lack of Weekend Games

(3) Should played their games at either Clarke Park or Foote Field where they can get an intimate crowd of 5000 -6000 people and build from there. But will the cash strapped Edmonton City Counil pay the bill to make this a reality? I don't think so!!

It appears that Joe Patrone and those bozos will never learn from their mistakes. I don't question Mr. Patrone's love of the game and the city but everything he has done associated with a soccer venture in Edmonton has been a dismal failure and if nothing is rectified you can the Aviators to list with the Drillers, The Eagles and The Brickmen.

Don't get me wrong, I went to a few aviator games, but the organization had it dead wrong from the beginning.

How do we know anything about this "partner" he claims to have. We don't know who he is and Titus isn't telling us anything.

Sounds like the phantom "Mittendorf" from when the Oilers were up for sale.

Blah, blah, blah Doyle.

Lets face it, Edmonton has the wrong owners.

We have the right owners. Single ownership has been why soccer in Edmonton has failed in the past.

They should have people who are passionate about the sport running things. Not those who treat it as a business.

quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

We have the right owners. Single ownership has been why soccer in Edmonton has failed in the past.

They should have people who are passionate about the sport running things. Not those who treat it as a business.

So how did you end up in this spot if they are the "right" owners?.

Tell it to the USL.

quote:Originally posted by WhitecapsFCFan

So how did you end up in this spot if they are the "right" owners?.

Tell it to the USL.

I answered that already that the kind of owners needed are in place. What is your problem in understanding that?

I am not trying to take sides on this "ownership" thing...

But DoyleG...how can you actually say we ahve the right franchise owners in place?

Their spokesperson, Mr. Newton, has stated that neither Mr. Petrone nor Mr. Ongaro are responsible for the administrative decisions - read: ticket prices, stadium lease, advertising, strategic partnerships, etc., etc..

Well...I guess it is safe to say the those decisions lay with the ownership group. And as such, are they not the ones responsible for creating an untenable financial decision? How can you say this is the "right" group? You might say that they are the only ownership group, and you would be correct.

But please...don't be an apologist for them. They certainly have put up time and money, and I applaud them. But as Newton himself said...the approach of "if you build it, they will come" ain't working.

But DoyleG...how can you actually say we ahve the right franchise owners in place?

Their spokesperson, Mr. Newton, has stated that neither Mr. Petrone nor Mr. Ongaro are responsible for the administrative decisions - read: ticket prices, stadium lease, advertising, strategic partnerships, etc., etc..

Well...I guess it is safe to say the those decisions lay with the ownership group. And as such, are they not the ones responsible for creating an untenable financial decision? How can you say this is the "right" group? You might say that they are the only ownership group, and you would be correct.

But please...don't be an apologist for them. They certainly have put up time and money, and I applaud them. But as Newton himself said...the approach of "if you build it, they will come" ain't working.

Thank you.

We can question their actions, yet haveing an ownership group is much better. I've had it with all these single owners.

Archived