Cash Call / Collapse of Aviators??

fishman

quote:Originally posted by torontosupport

Are they?

I'm sure Toronto's closing the gap what with the last crowd and the school day crowd, but as of July 4th Edmonton was averaging 2,665 a game and Toronto 2,458.

We also have to remember that Edmonton is deliberately under counting attendance. Take the last Edmonton game for instance. There was over 4,000 in the stadium and everybody got in using the same tickets. As far as I know they don't sell seperate tickets for the men and the women. Yet because it was a doubleheader in which the men played the first game they announced the mens crowd at 1,983 and the womens crowd at 2,000+. So if you consider that all Aviators games have been doubleheaders so far, and they have announced seperate crowds for both men and women, one could go to the USL site and add up both the mens and womens official attendances for each night and come up with a much higher total for each aviators game.

Why the Aviators try to divide the attendance numbers is beyond me.

Okay, somebody had to do it, so I did! It looks like of all the home games so far (and Edmontons only played 6, I believe the Aviators have 7 straight home games coming up soon so they have an influx of money coming up) only one match announced the same attendance for both games. Does that mean for that game they just split the number down the middle or that it was the total for the whole night? I'll assume they just split it down the middle.

May 30: Men 1,913-Women 1,512-Total 3,425

June 3: Men 3,107-Women 2,631-Total 5,738

June 15: Men 3,823-Women 3,453 Total 7,276

June 21: Men 2,044-Women 2,044 Total 4,088

June 28: Men 2,437-Women 2,130 Total 4,567

July 13: Men 1,983-Women 2,106 Total 4,089

I really doubt that's the case Krammerhead. I attended the games and there is no way they got the totals you came to, except for the July 13 totals. I think it was just miscounting, for whatever reason. It probably is the case that no one in the Aviators could tell you how they came to those figures[:o)]. The Aviators do not answer inquiries of this nature, so we may forever be in the dark about this particular issue amongst others[|)].

I'm guessing the game where they announced the same crowd for both the men and women was the game played at Clarke Park. I'm also not suggesting that those totals were all in the stadium at the same time. However some fans do not choose to watch both teams (I find doubleheaders a pain in the ass myself) so I'm sure that people were entering and leaving the stadium at different times all night, especially with those 6pm kickoffs. So of course it won't look like those totals were in the stadium at once.

Well, those totals don't take into account that the majority of the spectators are there for both games. So you're counting a lot of the same people twice. The June 21 game was the one that was held at Clarke Stadium which might explain why the counting was different.

In a double-header, there's no way of accurately counting the number of people attending the second game unless you count people leaving as well as the people coming in.

From my (unscientific) observations, I'd say attendance for the men's games is about 20-30% higher. When the women play first, about 80% stay for the men's game. When the men play first, about 65% stay for the women's game. You're paying for both games, so why leave? Some of the people who do leave are people who have small children. 10 pm is kind of late for them and 4 1/2 to 5 hours at the stadium is a long time, especially on a week night.

The problem with having double-headers on weeknights is that they start too early (6 pm) and end too late. I believe it was as late as 11:30 in once case, when both games went into overtime).

It will be interesting to see what attendance is like for the single games. It's too bad we never got to find out how big a draw the women could be by themselves -- the Foote Field game is not a reliable indicator.

I find it interesting that the attendance at Clarke Stadium was announced as 2,044 when the city's website claims the stadium's capacity is only 1300. It wasn't even full. Anybody know what Clarke's capacity REALLY is? I'm guessing it's close to 3000, which would make it a viable venue even without the proposed expansion, though it leaves no room for growth.

Foote Field, on the other hand, supposedly holds 1500, according to the university website, but we were packed in like sardines with an announced crowd of only 800.

quote:Originally posted by Chet

I find it interesting that the attendance at Clarke Stadium was announced as 2,044 when the city's website claims the stadium's capacity is only 1300. It wasn't even full. Anybody know what Clarke's capacity REALLY is? I'm guessing it's close to 3000, which would make it a viable venue even without the proposed expansion, though it leaves no room for growth.

Foote Field, on the other hand, supposedly holds 1500, according to the university website, but we were packed in like sardines with an announced crowd of only 800.

Chet, I remember speaking with Edmonton news-reporter Jeremy Loome over a year ago on the phone. He told me that Clarke Stadium was actually downsized when the city tore down one side of the stadium. The old attendance of the stadium, under the CFL records was actually 13,000. This is no longer the case anymore ever since the down-sizing. The capacity may now be about 5-to-6,000 seats.

I was in the grounds of Clarke the morning they were setting things up with the extra bleachers they had brought over from Northlands. One of the guys working there told me the grandstand holds 1,300, and the temporary bleachers they were putting in held 1,600, so the theoretical total would be 2,900. But as you say, if possible, we are talking sardine capacity. I guess more temporary bleachers could be brought over to increase the capacity further.

Clarke Stadium used to be the home of the Eskimos before they tore the old stadium down about a decade ago to build the present Clarke track/field and add to parking. Didn't it used to hold almost 30,000

, before they moved over to Commonwealth after the '78 games?

There were portable stands brought in to increase the capacity of Clarke for the game there.

Foote Field has two sides, the football (artificail turf) side holds 1,500. The game there was played on the track/soccer (grass) side.

Well, those totals don't take into account that the majority of the spectators are there for both games. So you're counting a lot of the same people twice.

Okay I have a question, How do the Aviators sell their tickets? Since all games I see advertised as 2 for 1 that indicates that they just sell one set of tickets for the night. Do they sell tickets printed up for just the men and tickets printed up just for the women? I assume not. So one ticket gets you into both games. So why would the Aviators announce different attendances for both games? It would be easier to just tally up all tickets at the end of the night. Like I mentioned in an earlier post they must be taking the total from the night and using and dividing by two, then just guessing which game had more people. Since each time an official number has been posted for the men there was an outcry that the crowd was a lot bigger than the USL figure I was just speculating that was the case. I don't see why the Aviators would be saying 1,983 were there for the men and 2000+ were there for the women if they weren't taking the total from the night and splitting it. Especially when fans at the game say there were 4000+ there that night. Would explain the totals.

I could be wrong. Maybe the Aviators do sell seperate tickets for the men and the women.

No they sold the same ticket for both games.

Some things in the universe are just meant to be what St. Paul called "a mystery that is nonsense to men." Such as the nature of the Trinity, how they get the Caramilk into the Caramilk bar, and how the Aviators, may they rest in peace, figured out their attendence. Forsake eternal torment and just accept. Amen.

Archived