Where will Canada play next?

Jarrek

I believe the next set date for Canada in it's World Cup Qualifying campaign is on the 18th of August. Where do you think it SHOULD be held? Where do you think it WILL be held?

We know that chances of the matches being held on fieldturf are next to none. Mexico, USA, Costa Rica and several other nations will NOT play on it.

Available Venues:

Commonwealth, Edmonton (60,000)

Richardson, Kingston (10,258)

Claude Robillard, Montreal (10,000)

Swangard, Vancouver (5,100 - 7,100)

Centennial Stadium, Victoria (6,000)

My theory is that all of these venues have a good chance of hosting matches, but I have a feelind that the nats will return to Vancouver on the 14th.

After the game, some "locker rooms" rumours said a game will be held in Edmonton (confirmed) and another one in Vancouver

But players said they prefer play in the East, because of the crowd (saturday) and the travel shorter from Europe

I'm sure the crowd will be supportive out in the east as well, the question is the travel time and adjustment that they will have to endure if they play in Vancouver. I think it will be either Vancouver or Kingston again. It would be great if Richardson Stadium was upgraded.

I asked Morgan Quarry and he said it was likely to be Vancouver, and that was also mentioned by Yallop to a number of the other Voyageurs who were in attendance. After the match we all went to the team bus to cheer on the team and talk to the players. A few got their photo's taken with them, most of which I suspect will make there way on to this board in the near future (I am particularly eager to see the one of Sean wearing a Bircham hairdo posing with Bircham while Ryan was holding up a cucumber behind their heads).

There were a lot of other fans also waiting there to get autographs, etc. which was nice to see. Lots more stories to tell later on but it's pretty late so I'll call it a night for now.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I asked Morgan Quarry and he said it was likely to be Vancouver, and that was also mentioned by Yallop to a number of the other Voyageurs who were in attendance. After the match we all went to the team bus to cheer on the team and talk to the players. A few got their photo's taken with them, most of which I suspect will make there way on to this board in the near future (I am particularly eager to see the one of Sean wearing a Bircham hairdo posing with Bircham while Ryan was holding up a cucumber behind their heads).

There were a lot of other fans also waiting there to get autographs, etc. which was nice to see. Lots more stories to tell later on but it's pretty late so I'll call it a night for now.

Looking forward to hearing the stories about Wednesday's game...

...as well as a trip to watch a game in the next round!

I haven't been around here as much as I used to be so I'm not sure if this has been

That said, has anyone seen the drawings for the new University of Windsor stadium:

http://athena.uwindsor.ca/units/athletics/athlrec.nsf/Front%20Page%20News/9DB76FC5626A567A85256EA9006D76C1

They, of course, are talking FieldTurf long term, but it will be grass to start. With expandable seating to 20,000 you would think that this place could be used by the CSA.

Although normally I would understand the desire for FieldTurf (Canadian university and junior football will be one of the main tenants), I'm a little baffled by it here. After all, track and Field is also high of the list of priorities for the new stadium. You would think that the javelin would be a little tough on the FieldTurf!

I sometimes think that the CSA could do a better job educating people on the value of grass over the turf. I'm sure the people of Windsor would be more than happy to bring world class soccer into their community, but I doubt that they have any idea that FieldTurf will be an obstacle for that. Windsor even has fairly temperate winters, so a grass field wouldn't be that much more difficult to maintain.

And to bring the thread back on full topic, I'm advocating for a Yellowknife fixture in November.

What about Winnipeg? Is the main field at the Soccer Complex a grass pitch? I'm keen to attend a Canada WC qualifier and am located in the Chicago-Detroit corridor, so I'm hoping for a Winnipeg match or another out east (Kingston or Montreal).

I'd like to see the three semifinal matches spread right across the country. The CSA would do well to use games to showcase the game as broadly as possible...one never knows when the next home match for Canada will be. Though I'm optimistic there'll be five more home fixtures in 2005!

quote:Originally posted by CanadianSoccerFan

kinda funny that we have a 16,000 seat grass stadium in Sudbury... and we'd never consider holding a game there. The market is a bit too small and inconvenient I guess.

I didn't know that. But what is Sudbury doing with a 16 000 outdoor grass stadium? Laurentian doesn't have a football team.

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

I sometimes think that the CSA could do a better job educating people on the value of grass over the turf.

On the contrary, the CSA have actually been promoting the idea of FieldTurf.

I remember visiting Laurentian once and I was schocked out of my mind to see the stadium they had considering they have no track team, no football team and the soccer team doesn't even used the field. It was built for some Junior Pan-American Track & Field Championship in the 80's I believe. It's a rather bare bones stadium but it's really big.

Archived