U19 WWCQ: Canada vs. Mexico [R]

DJT

Originally posted by Gian-Luca - 06/01/2004 : 21:32:18</u>

Belanger in the first half, Emily Zurrer (aka Kara Lang's twin sister) with two headers off corners in the 2nd.

The US & Costa Rica drew 0-0, so Canada will face Costa Rica after all, but only because of superior US goal differential. Sounds like Friday night's match will be no sure thing. They ought not to take them lightly now.

I opened my tv before the first goal

And shut it after the third

Only one team on the field

Which kind of field was it ? The reboubnds were terrible, it seems like the ball was a magic ball... Two rebounds and the ball still was over the head of the girls, even then langest

In sight : Bélanger, Zurrer, Thorlakson and Maranda

Good win for our girls, even though the three goals were all from set plays. But goals count the same. Hope we can win against the Ticas. They will need to change their game plan against Canada though and will not be as effective as they were versus the U.S. Zurrer was the only player jumping for the headers, the rest including the Mexicans were wearing lead boot it seems. The referee was inconsistant in her recognition of fouls and at the end her officiating didn't affect the result but earned us a couple of bookings.

I have been watching Canadian national team soccer since 84. And this display from a style along with getting a result perspective was one of the best - if not the best - showing by a national side.

I saw Canadian players willing to go one-vis-one, decent interplay between the midfield and strikers, speed with the ball to blow past defenders, nicely placed corners, constantly keeping up the pressure through the defenders purposefully putting the ball back into the box etc...

Granted all 3 goals were off set plays - though well executed - and no goals came from the run of play. Probably due to the fact that this team is missing the clinical finishing of the likes of Sinclair.

And Mexico is an improving side but not the best. But compared to the whitewash games played in u19s 2 years ago, this performance was still better despite only getting 3 goals.

I always opined that results matterered more than style in the initial stages of the women's game. Style will come with time as the game matures. No get to get huffed and puffed about it. And yesterday, we saw the first glimpse of Canadian women's soccer enetering a new phase.

Lack of depth at the back has been a weak point for our senior women's team (IMHO, this is what killed us against Sweden in the World Cup) - it's nice to know that we have a top prospect like Zurrer coming along. She was great at both ends of the pitch last night.

From my point of view, Katie Thorlakson was one of the best on the field. I was surprised that Lang was sweeping (I didn't see the previous matches). After having seen her creating so many opportunities in the last U19 and Senior World Cups, it looked strange to see her at the back...

I watched the game last night. Pretty solid team overall. The following three players really stood out to me:

- Belanger: made great runs and has a nose for the net (1 goal)

- Zurrer: very imposing defender and dangerous on set pieces (2 goals)

- Maranda: you gotta see her corner kicks (Zurrer 2 goals)

quote:Is there any way we can get Zurrer to play for the senior men's side? My word, is that girl strong on the headers form corners!

Actually the Men's side is not lacking in players who can convert corners but do we have anyone who can take corners and consistently place them as well as Maranda can?

quote:Originally posted by Bxl Boy

I opened my tv before the first goal

And shut it after the third

Only one team on the field

Which kind of field was it ? The reboubnds were terrible, it seems like the ball was a magic ball... Two rebounds and the ball still was over the head of the girls, even then langest

That is (or maybe better yet was) FieldTurf. Except it has been so overused, lines and ads painted on and removed so many times, that it's starting to look and play like old astroturf.

I was thinking while watching it that the next time FIFA inspects the turf there, that it won't get FIFA approval.

Ohhhh.... the anti-field turfists come out....

Watch any women's game ever played and you'll see tons of misjudging of bouncing balls that yo'd never see on the Men's side. For some genetic reason woman players have mental fits with that aspect of the game, even on plush grass fields.

Nothing to do with feildturf. (And yes I've sat though countless female soccer matches in my lifetime as a coach and parent)

AND

Varsity will be field turf. U of T needs that facility to accommodate it's students needs, not the CSA's. They'll use at least 200 days a year.

The idea of a "national" stadium for our NT's is European in concept. One that does not lead itself to our sports culture.

Do we have a national hockey team rink that is Olympic sized? If Scotland can play At Easter Road and Wales at the Racetrack, then Canada can play at CCR or Swangard.

Has nothing to do with being anti-fieldturf or not being able to understand bouncing balls etc. Watching the Mexicans lob some of those long balls that landed just inside the Canadian half and then rolled right out over the Canadian end line as if it was astroturf was easily noticed. Also looking at the field it was clear that the turf was not as lush as when it was installed, closeups of the pitch showed that you can hardly see the blades of fake grass.

No need to get into an argument over it, fact is next time FIFA inspects the pitch it will not get FIFA approval, and you won't be able to debate that.

well I think it will get approval. As we're both talking through our asses on this one, like we know anything about the FIFA approval process or the sacs on money that are exchanged during said process. But that's why boards like this are great. Anyone is an expert.

BUT you are right that feild turf needs to be "fluffed" often. They have a machine like a zamboni that puffs it up. And in Ottawa it doesn't happen at all during the winter and all football teams like padded down for it's running game and probably tell stadiums not to do it.

Puff it a few times and it'll pass.

You are right about that Zamboni thing. When the Seahawks are playing in their stadium they must not use the machine, as witnessed during late last year where their field turf was rock hard like astroturf. However looking at photos from Seattle this early season the turf looks like it has been fluffed up, and pretty decent.

quote:Originally posted by G-Man

Watch any women's game ever played and you'll see tons of misjudging of bouncing balls that yo'd never see on the Men's side. For some genetic reason woman players have mental fits with that aspect of the game, even on plush grass fields.

Was wondering this past week, with the two Aviators doubleheaders, why the female players had such a problem with control. Then it hit me. The best way to aggressively control high bouncing balls is to chest them, which females can't do without risking significant discomfort.

Archived