Women's OQ on TV

Massive Attack

quote:Originally posted by Mimglow

The reason the women's team can afford to play in Canada is because the player's clubs (if they are on one) play in North America, not out of the goodness of their hearts.

And why do they play in North America? Because the rest of the world don't place value on the women's game...yet. Another reason why the WNT is less appealing to me - quality of opposition is only on par in a few countries.

I agree with you that the rest of the world does not place value on the women's game....as a matter of fact I would venture to say many countries will not allow the their women to play.

Could they have the WWC in the U.A.E.?

While I believe if someone is not attracted to watching our women's coronation at the Olympic qualifying they may be the same who would say Canadian men's soccer sucks whether it be A-League or our World Cup Team.

The point of being a supporter of a NATIONAL TEAM is to support whether or not they are women or men.

As a male player can make a living from soccer while most women can't it becomes more endearing to me to follow a player such as Timko and the gang bring prestige to our country.

There is no point in comparing the quality of play as women are not men and I have no ambition for them to be similar.

The more support our women get the more support our men will get and we can congratulate ourselves for helping promote the beatiful game.

quote:Originally posted by Observer

I think you have missed the point
Truthfully, no I don't think I have.

The WNT has proven they can fill a stadium. They also have proven that they can attract advertisers for television.

The MNT has proven , that they hardly ever play in Canada, and that; the advertisers for television aren't willing to put up the LOONIES.

Now we can argue levels of play , and diversity of the mens game , but ..we still have to raise the profile of the mens game to that of the womens game to advertisers.

Edmonton sell-outs for the womens game , will reap advertisers $$ as will the recent World Cup for women. That the mens game may not see for a decade.Unless success is seen soon.

I realize you really can't compare the WNT and the MNT , but advertisers only see bang for the buck!

And , I will still, unconditionally support both.

quote:Originally posted by mtlfan

I am paying close attention and I suggest you could the same. My reply was to both quotes more to the one that mentions this is ridiculous.

I do recall that once Sportnet was bombarded with requests and they then calculated they could make a profit by televising Canada-Spain and they did.

The bottom line is Women's soccer is a winner for the advertisers and the network.

When I read I'll bet that the U-19 women's qualifying from Montreal and Ottawa will also be on TV this summer. I could interpet that as a complaint.

Yes you are correct the WNT is more important to Sportsnet. To complain that it should't be, it isn't fair or any other reason makes no sense to me.

Is the glass half empty or half full ?

Sportnet is the only network that produces women's soccer and they need to build on previous successes.

In another post people are complaining about the Canada/Belize dates rather than hounded Sportnet to make sure we get coast ot coast coverage regardless of Euro 2004.

I am confident that we will see more and more men's games in the future.

But this decsion to show the womens games but not the mens games makes me very cynical about the sports broadcasting business. Why is it that we watch soccer or any other televised sports on TV in the first place. Yes, we all want our team to win and be competitive but isn't it mostly all about drama and uncertainty that draws us to watching sports ?. It has nothing to do about equality and rights in our society amongst men and women. It has to do with being entertained. How in the world could anyone find it entertaining to sit down and watch soccer games that will end 8-0 and 11-0. Even if its the team that you are supporting that is winning. Is there any doubt that Canada will qualify for OLympics? You don't need to know very much about soccer to know about the humongous talent and development gaps in womens soccer and especially in this region.

quote:Originally posted by hamiltonfan

My thoughts are this, I think its great for the women to get their games on TV but i think it is a must for the men. Rogers should put the men before the women if they want to make money in upcoming years with soccer and even more so if Canada does well in WCQ. Im not tryng to say the womens game shouldnt be on but i think the mens games should be on aswell. Cant w have both!!!!haha

Everyone has good points, but gender-bias aside, what Can. Men's Games

should have been broadcast other than U20? Our Olympic team that

was admittedly underclassed? I'd still watch it if it were shown, but

would the advertisers and Sportsnet support it? Doubt it.

Sportsnet has shown MNT friendlies with Finland and Ireland in the past. Right now there's NO real match(friendly) scheduled, so the Women's Olympic team (which IS our World Cup team) gets top billing ...

It would have been preferable if the CSA has arranged something

with CBC, TSN or FSWC on games that Sportsnet would not pick up.

We must take note that Sportsnet, with or without our email campaign,

did show Canada-Spain U20 from UAE...

My position is that we are lucky to get any National Team broadcasts

at all, and that success will breed interest with the viewing public.

That means that Yallop's success will create that bandwagon support

including the media.

No one is actually saying that. The CSA & Sportsnet have decided that women's soccer is it, so we can watch the women win 11-0 & 15-0 against opposition that simply cannot play. One of our male teams was in the WC U-20 and we did not get to see a single game. What message is that sending to the public. We have to face a certain reality with th game in this country. What do you want a local identity or a global one. It is this mentality that has Canada's game at such a low in terms of the quality of opposition that wishes to play us. All you have to do is look at Jamaica, they are playing Brazil and Uruguay and we are playing Barbados. I like all soccer but there is a reality as to the World game.

Well said!!!

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

I guess The Voyageurs which is comprised mostly of men, we have been reluctant to give up on the men's sides. The support from this board could be even higher if not so many members were so critical of Pellerud style of play.

Sorry. But this is one of my pet peeves every time that the issue of womens soccer comes up on this board. Some will draw a link between comments on womens soccer and board members views or perceived views on gender equality and rights. Sports is entertainment? Thats why people buys tickets ( i.e.: to be entertained). If people question the style of play or the competitive balance, then how is that chauvinistic or bias? Its the entertainment value or style that counts and if the overall value was the same between womens soccer and mens soccer, then would there be any complaints? are there any complaints or barrier towards womens performers or artists in the entertertainment or music industy? the answer is no.

Its those who really like soccer who raise questions about the womens game. Its not because we are men, its because we soccer fans. Why can't people see that? When I sit down to watch a sports event on TV or live, you have to provide entainment. You cannot say that I still have to appreciate it because it women and I am suppose to be fair to both sexes. How would that advance Womens soccer as a whole? In fact, I would agru that those who question the entertainment value of teh womens game are doing more to advance womens soccer than those who don't or those who say nothing.

While I believe if someone is not attracted to watching our women's coronation at the Olympic qualifying they may be the same who would say Canadian men's soccer sucks whether it be A-League or our World Cup Team.

Since you used the word 'coronation' as I had, I'm going to respond to this. What the hell are you talking about!? Because I don't get as excited about a 11-0 win over Honduras' women or whoever than I would have to see Canada v Brazil at the U20s, I'm a bad Canadian soccer fan? Believe me I'll be watching all of the Canadian women's Olympic games. That still doesn't change the fact I would have been more excited to see the U20 WYC and the Olympic qualifying THAT WAS HELD IN CANADA.

Even if someone doesn't enjoy following the women's team, that doesn't automatically make them a chauvanist. Girls who don't really care about the men's program, are they sexist too? Are they bad for Canadian soccer?

The more support our women get the more support our men will get and we can congratulate ourselves for helping promote the beatiful game.

What are you basing that on? If you look at the people who post here and the people who post on Go Big Red there isn't a lot of overlap and I would say there are a lot of supporters who primarily support one or the other. Everyone prefers one or the other somewhat, it's a matter of degrees.

I don't think showing women's Olympic qualifying will garner support for the men like actually showing the Olympic team and the U20s would have.

Sportsnet has done well, but all I want is a little gender equity here and I made the same argument five or six years ago when it was skewed the other way.

cheers,

matthew

I am not saying NO! the point is it is easier to be competitive in the Womens game, so it was not difficult the raise the profile of the team. After all Canada remains number 2 in CONCACAF, it is a position we have always held. The difference is the CSA simply began to invest in the female talent pool, that was always present. The rest was simple because the female game on a World scale has less that 6 competitive teams. Where as in the mens game the 50th ranked team could beat number 1 (it happened at the WC). With this in mind the male side of the game needs more long term planning. It requires a player development program similar to the US and the WC squad needs lots of competitive International games. People were critical of our 3-1 loss against Ireland. Yet that same Ireland minus their best player Duff, held Brazil to 0-0.

We actually lost 3-0 as they (rightfully or wrongfully depending on who you talk to, moot now) disallowed the Canadian goal. But I'm being picky & would agree with your point - in fact I would emphasize it as the 3-0 scoreline highly flattered the Irish on the night and that was short-handed Canadian squad (no De Rosario, De Guzman, Brennan, Klukowski, Hume, Nsaliwa, Aguiar & a few others of note) that didn't even have a proper coach at the time.

Am I missing something? Is there a men's NT game on at the same time that Sportsnet is pre-empting because of the women's team? Or is there some wierd broadcast regulation that says if SN shows women's soccer, they can't show men's soccer?

Seems to me some people are going to extraordinary lengths to bend their logic balloons into proof that the women's NT is to blame for the lack of TV time the men's team gets. Must be feminists running Sportsnet, eh!

Here are few reasons Sportsnet might be more likely to broadcast women's games at the moment:

1) The women's team plays more often. Therefore they are on TV more often. Therefore they are more popular. Therefore they get better ratings.

2) The women play more often in North America. That means if they're on TV, they'll be on at a decent time. (Playing in NA also means it's cheaper to send a broadcast team to cover the games.)

3) The women play in Canada sometimes. When they do, they get coverage in local media. This is free publicity for the team that the men's team doesn't generate. It's free publicity for Sportsnet, too.

4) Broadcast rights for women's soccer are cheaper. You need less of an audience to break even.

5) This women's Olympic team is the same team that just concluded a successful World Cup campaign.

6) The women's Olypic team is the full national team. The men's Olympic team was an under-23 squad with key players missing due to club commitments. National Team vs U-23 'B' Team: which do you think is likely to get better ratings?

By the way, I don't believe the fact that women's NT games are on TV will make viewers less likely to watch men's NT games. And I don't believe that good ratings for women's NT games makes the networks less likely to broadcast men's NT games. I think the opposite is true.

You're right Chet. Sorry about the pissy rant. It's not the women's fault Sportsnet seems to only show the men when it's easy for them (they can send Craig and Gerry to Lauderdale for a camp and they can't send anyone to Kelowna?) but I'm just tired of the double standard.

What I would argue with is the idea that good women's ratings will lead to more men's games. The opposite has been happening lately and I think will continue to happen. Oh well, let's get ready to cheer on the women.

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by Mimglow

I've debated joining this thread because I don't want to come off as a chauvenistic woman-hater (which I am not).

Truth be told, the women's team is a pleasant diversion for me when the Men aren't playing (or being shown on tv), and nothing more.

I've never been a fan of women's sports as a spectator sport (except Tennis), simply because the level of play is so much lower than the men's. That's just a fact.

I DO watch the women and support them, but guess what I'd be watching should there be a men's and a woman's match at the same time?

Let the fallout begin...

P.S. The reason I enjoy women's tennis over men's is because of the style of play, not the style of dress. Just wanted to nip that one in the bud before someone found fit to compare me to Sepp Blatter.

I like to defend the women. To me the women team is not a pleasant diversion but a game of soccer played by highly skilled and hard working women that I respect for their dedication to represent the country, men and women alike.

Their level of play may not equal to that of the men, but their effort , training, pain and sacrifice is equal or higher. To expect a woman player to run as fast or kick as hard as men, does not deter me from admiring their game and be proud.

The reason i am angry at having the womens game on is plain and simple. I cant sit there and watch the game, its plain and simple very low quality soccer. I kno im gonna get burned here and please go ahead and tell me im wrong. But i really dont understand how people can watch a game like that on tv, when the mens national team shows alot more skill and the quality of soccer is alot better.

Im not trying to start anything, but this is my view. Im not saying that i want the womans game to be banned off tv. Im just mind boglled on how people can watch the womans game and then not the mens.

quote:Originally posted by SeanKeay

The reason i am angry at having the womens game on is plain and simple. I cant sit there and watch the game, its plain and simple very low quality soccer. I kno im gonna get burned here and please go ahead and tell me im wrong. But i really dont understand how people can watch a game like that on tv, when the mens national team shows alot more skill and the quality of soccer is alot better.

I don't think the quality of play makes me at all less interested in women's soccer. For me the problem is the quality gap between Canada and the countries we'll be facing in this tournament before Mexico and the United States. As has been mentioned already in this thread, I don't see anything interesting about 8-0 or 11-0 results. But when the teams can actually compete well against each other then I think it's fine, and sometimes great (eg. U19 WWC), regardless of the quality. Sure, our team's tactics are frustrating, but that's because of Pellerud, not because they are women (I can get just as frustrated with men's teams, too).

quote:Originally posted by SeanKeay

Im not trying to start anything, but this is my view. Im not saying that i want the womans game to be banned off tv. Im just mind boglled on how people can watch the womans game and then not the mens.

There are two reasons:

The first is the same as any other sport WINNING.

The second is for the very same reason that the Euro Snobs will not support the Impact or any other Candian version of soccer.

They claim the quality of play is not up to par with Man.U. or the Italian World Cup team so why bother.

Archived