Today's SoccerCentral.....

Winnipeg Fury

Taken from the original Voyageur forum:

Speaking of January transfers, why not mention the Canadians who made some notable transfers:

Marcina from CPSL to PAOK, and Fernandes to PAOK (one of the big four in Greece).

Hutchison from Osters to Helsingberg in the Swedish Premier.

There was also a Canuck who signed in the Hungarian First Division (I wouldn't be surprised if there were a couple of others)

Come on Gerry and Craig, let's take a second to mention some great Canuck signings !

Little surprised Fernandez's signing didn't get mentioned. No matter what it turns out to be, it's a huge move.

And seeing how Everton were just on you'd thought they'd have brought up Blackburn's pursuit of Tomasz Toffee and Moyes refusal to sell.

Only so many tic-tocs in half hour I guess.

(Bloody Solano gets sold to Villa and would've netted me 5 desperately needed points in my pool, except I left him inactive. Crap).

PAOK have a ton of goalies signed. I will be surprised if he plays for the first team. Most likely will be loaned out similar to Marcina, which I think is the best move for his development, as he must play to improve.

Personally I was a bit surprised SC never mentioned Hutchison's signing in Sweden.

Well I posted this on the other forum under the same thread so have copied it here:

In addition.....

by Gian-luca

it would have nice if they had mentioned Julian De Guzman in the Olympic team segment, worthy not only for being our top player, but the tremendous devotion to his country by flying back & forth across the Atlantic just for the one match. He, along with Klukowski & Dunfield (and possibly Canizalez) deserved to be mentioned amongst the players who won't be participating at all or only in part - as it was only Hume was named. Our media should really doing a better job with their De Guzman coverage - the guy should not be known only to hard-core Cdn. soccer supporters.

It was also bizarre that they didn't mention Aguiar when listing the teammates of poor Feher at Benfica.

There have been a few of us rah-rah-rahing De Guzman now for a long time, and every day the cheering section gets bigger. It's especialy nice that Julian's growing crowd of admirers dosen't just include Canadians.

So yeah, you'd think our Soccer Central dynamic duo would try to stay on the front of the curve on this one. If JDG dose something, it's worth mentioning. Especialy if the something involves a return to a Canada kit. (which by the way, I personaly am so relieved to see. Get a little paraniod sometimes).

And on the subject of De Guzman fans. Got to watch the Bremen match yet. Only caught the first few minutes before the Liverpool derby but is it just me or is that commentator favorably biased towards Canada? Only ever speaks approvingly of our squad and to hear him talk you'd think Canada's WC team will have to be one to watch in CONCACAF. Certainly is a Diesel fan, that's for sure.

I do not know if he is biased, Cheeta, or just emphasizing Canadian or North American content, in view of his audience. He went on later in the second half to say to watch for a one-on-one interview with Stalteri upcoming. (I do not recall the name of the feature, but it sounds like a regular and I have never seen it).

As discussed here and on the other forum, perhaps Gerry and Craig should take a few lessons from our friends at FSW in emphasizing "Can-Con" if they want to increase the profile of the game here.

Another note, the announcer referred to our MNT as "ever-improving" under the new leadership of Frank Yallop, which I found a bit amusing. However, he is obviously very familiar with Yallop and this hopefully means more coverage for our boys.

The announcer is Allen Hopkins who does much of the Bundesliga broadcasting for FSW. I think he's been able to see enough of Stalteri and DeGuzman to form a favourable impression. As well, he does many of the FSW MLS broadcasts (although I can only tell he and Max Bretos apart when Max does his idiotic fake accents) and is a huge admirer of Frank Yallop as well as DeRo and Onstad.

FSW always throws in little tidbits about the North American players in their review and previews of the Euro leagues.

Hopkins is very knowledgeable of both the Bundesliga and North American players. He grew up in Berlin, and is a lifelong fan of Hertha Berlin BSC (unfortunately for him); I am surprised he didn't sound more disappointed with the scoreline on the broadcast yesterday. The feature on Stalteri is a new weekly thing where Hopkins interviews someone via the phone (yesterday it was Hamburg and ex-Leverkusen coach Klaus Toppmoller).

Archived