Canada - Czech U-20 Game Thread (R)

Gordon

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No boys, do NOT go for broke for a second goal. Czechs will be pressing forward now since they need to tie it to qualify. As things stand now we are *probably* into next round. If we go for broke with the Czechs coming forward we may well give up a goal, and then we are out for sure. We need to sit back and play for the counter.

There's been some talk on the Tranmere boards hoping that Canada does poorly in this tournament because:

a) They want Hume back ASAP; and

B) They are worried that he will be showcased too much in this tournament and be snapped up by a bigger club.

It sounds like he has had a good match in all 3 games (2 goals, a couple of chances vs. Brazil) so maybe B) isn't an unlikely scenario.

quote:Originally posted by matthew

Livescore says full time!!!!!!! There's only one Iain Hume! one Iain Hume oooone Iain Hume!

Full time in the Spain game as well. So we finish ahead of at least one other 3rd place game for sure. Have to wait on the outcome of the three groups we could still, theoretically, finish ahead of. The US group is improbable, and we need Japan to lose (and England to no better than draw) in the second. The Saudi Mexico group is the best bet as both Ireland and the Ivory Coast have something to play for. No "unusually lethargic" performances such as we saw from Burkina Faso today.

Oh, there are sooooooo many scenarios now.

Scenario 1: Mexico doesn't beat Ireland AND Saudi Arabia don't beat Cote d'Ivoire. We're in.

Scenario 2: Egypt beat Japan AND England do not beat Columbia. We're in.

Scenario 3: Group F does not look good for us, but if the US lose by enough against Korea, and if Paraguay lose against Germany, we could be in.

quote:Originally posted by sstackho

Oh, there are sooooooo many scenarios now.

Scenario 1: Mexico doesn't beat Ireland AND Saudi Arabia don't beat Cote d'Ivoire. We're in.

Scenario 2: Egypt beat Japan AND England do not beat Columbia. We're in.

Scenario 3: Group F does not look good for us, but if the US lose by enough against Korea, and if Paraguay lose against Germany, we could be in.

Damn, I am so frickin proud of our lads. Beating the Czechs is no mean feat, and how they played over the last two games is very positive indeed. Yes, they made some costly mistakes, but this young team has done well, has certainly shown their pluck and drive, and Mr Mitchell should be complimented on a fine job so far. We may not advance, but we are certainly making strides. And our future U20 teams looks even better. I hope Matondo gets a Euro contract, hope Marshall and a few others find good jobs in Europe or MLS, too. This was a tough group and we were not an easy team to play. Damn, I'm proud of these guys. Way to go, Humey! Get him playing with the Nats in front of Stalteri on the right. Very exciting.

In Group F, Korea could lose by a lot and we could get in. There are too many scenarios to consider in that group, but the simple answer is that it doesn't look good for Group F.

Group E is also pretty risky. If either team wins, we're outta luck from them.

In Group D, should Egypt beat Japan? I'd say no, but they beat England - both teams did.

Each scenario does not look very promising in and of itself. But add them together, and things don't look too bad for Canada.

I've worked out the odds statistically for Canada's chances of advancing. It's 50/50.

quote:Originally posted by sstackho

I've worked out the odds statistically for Canada's chances of advancing. It's 50/50.

Better than Mitchell must have thought after Australia given the following in a Sydney newspaper:

"Disappointed Canadian coach Dale Mitchell felt his team's tournament was essentially over following the loss, and bemoaned the fact that few of his players were playing in a full-time professional competition"

less likely Scenarios that get us in:

1. Germany beat Paraguay by 2 AND S. Korea beat US by 3

2. Germany beat Paraguay by 2 AND US beat S. Korea by 4

3. Paraguay beat Germany by 3 AND S. Korea beat US by 3

4. Paraguay beat Germany by 3 AND US beat S. Korea by 4

I really believe that we're going to the next round.We were in all the games.Once there I like our chances.I don't think that there is a team in the tourney that we don't have a chance against.

When you include the recent Olympic team win over El Salvador,those are 2 very important wins that we were unable to watch.Is there a more deprived group of fans?

quote:Originally posted by Vancouver Fan

I really believe that we're going to the next round.We were in all the games.Once there I like our chances.I don't think that there is a team in the tourney that we don't have a chance against.

I'm with you. In fact, I'm surprised that the Brazil result wasn't closer, and the Australia game was just a shame--I thought for sure we would've grabbed a point.

But really, being a Canadian soccer fan is like this all the time--in the dark, tense, full of suspense, wondering what's going to loom up and bite us next. Like a kid hiding under the covers. When's Sportsnet going to hear us crying and switch the light on?

Allez les Rouges,

M@

P.S. I believe I took my Clever Little Metaphor a little too far.

quote:Originally posted by mattbin

I'm with you. In fact, I'm surprised that the Brazil result wasn't closer, and the Australia game was just a shame--I thought for sure we would've grabbed a point.

But really, being a Canadian soccer fan is like this all the time--in the dark, tense, full of suspense, wondering what's going to loom up and bite us next. Like a kid hiding under the covers. When's Sportsnet going to hear us crying and switch the light on?

Allez les Rouges,

M@

P.S. I believe I took my Clever Little Metaphor a little too far.

On a day when Canada comes up with a great result such as the one against the Czechs today, I personally believe there is no such thing as taking a Clever Little Metaphor "too far." And plus, the irony made it clear that you were deliberately stretching the metaphor, which makes you some sort of comic genius...

Vive le Canada. Vive le Clever Little Metaphor.

Match stats:

CAN CZE Statistics

1 0 Goals

11 10 Shots

6 3 Shots on Goal

8 15 Fouls Committed

11 6 Corner Kicks

2 2 Free Kicks

0/0 0/1 Penalty Kicks

2 1 Offsides

0 0 Own Goals

1 3 Cautions

0 1 Expulsions

57% 43% Ball Possession

28 21 Actual Playing Time

OMG, Canada played a match with the majority of possession!!

Archived