Canada - Czech U-20 Game Thread (R)

Gordon

quote:Originally posted by sstackho

Holy crap, the Czechs had a penalty!!!

Karim for Prime Minister!

Hume for Minister of Laying Down the A$$-kickings!

This story is just getting better and better. Imagine if (gasp!) it had been televised!

Allez les Rouges,

M@

P.S. Just so we're clear, I do see Hume as the greater player, but I really think he'd excel in that kind of a cabinet portfolio.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By my calcs:

quote:Originally posted by L.T.

less likely Scenarios that get us in:

1. Germany beat Paraguay AND S. Korea beat US by 2

- unfortunately, the US would still be ahead of us by virtue of scoring 4 goals (equal on +/-).

quote:

2. Germany beat Paraguay AND US beat S. Korea by 3

- this could mean a coinflip for us against Korea/Paraguay

- the interesting thing if Korea beat US 3-0 and Germany beat Paraguay 1-0, then Korea and Paraguay would have to flip a coin to determine who finishes in 3rd, and then the winner of that coinflip would have to flip a coin against Canada to determine who gets 4th place in the rankings of 3rd place teams!

quote:

3. Paraguay beat Germany by 2 AND S. Korea beat US by 2

- again, here we'd lose to the US on goals scored (equal on +/-). Korea would need another goal.

quote:

4. Paraguay beat Germany by 2 AND US beat S. Korea by 3

- here Germany would be ahead of us by virtue of scoring 3 goals (equal on +/-).

Guest Georgio

If we get through considering how tough our group was this has gotta be the best thing Canada soccer related that we never got to watch. I saw the 86 World Cup, I saw Gold Cup 2000, but this will be the best I never seen. :)

BTW, is there absolutely no way of catching games from the next round ie. EuroSport connection

quote:Originally posted by sstackho

- the interesting thing if Korea beat US 3-0 and Germany beat Paraguay 1-0, then Korea and Paraguay would have to flip a coin to determine who finishes in 3rd, and then the winner of that coinflip would have to flip a coin against Canada to determine who gets 4th place in the rankings of 3rd place teams!

Wait, Paraguay beat Korea, and that would factor into the Group tiebreaker, so there isn't a chance of a double coinflip. :(

Malaysia 97 was pretty good I'd say. Close losses to Argentina and Spain right? And we beat the Aussies to get to the second round? I would have loved to watch that. At least this is faster than waiting for the paper the next day like I did in 97.

cheers,

matthew

PS can you tell I'm too happy to want to do any work.

quote:Originally posted by Georgio

If we get through considering how tough our group was this has gotta be the best thing Canada soccer related that we never got to watch. I saw the 86 World Cup, I saw Gold Cup 2000, but this will be the best I never seen. :)

BTW, is there absolutely no way of catching games from the next round ie. EuroSport connection

We did get through in the Malaysia 97 u20 World Cup.We had Bent,DeRosario,Stalteri at the core of that team.We came out of a group with Argentina then lost to Spain 2-1 inthe 2nd round in a game that Bent scored on a great free kick.I don't think that it was televised in Canada.

Guest Georgio

So I'd say that's about equal to our accomplishments so far (if we get through) especially considering we can't see a bloody thing.

I can't work either, this is all me and my Aussie work mate can think about. He rubbed in our loss but some of the Aussie luck must have rubbed off on us too.

Oooohh the waiting . ...

quote:Originally posted by Jarrek

So under what circumstance do we get in? If any? (I'm too lazy to go through all the scenarios myself)

Technically, its still possible for us to be the second best of the third place finishers. We need to finish ahead of the third place team in at least one of the 3 remaining groups.

However, Group F has every tied on 3 and Paraguay is the worst in goal difference at -1. Very unlikley that things will work out in such a way that we finish ahead of their third place team.

Japan at 3 points and -2 goal diff, and England at 0 points -2 goal diff though) is a group that we can finish ahead of provided Japan loses and England gains no more that a tie. Both Columbia and Eygpt have something to play for as well.

The Group with Saudi and Mexico may be the best bet as they are both on 1 point and are playing teams with a whole lot to gain by winning (Ireland & Cote d'Ivoire). If nether win, then we finish ahead of them.

I imagine there are some blowout scenario's that work for us too, but won't be bothered to calcualte those.

Canada wins to keeps alive hopes to continue in world under-20 soccer event

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/shownews.jsp?content=R120415AU

r2847966527.jpg

posted December 4 @ 15:15, EST

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (CP) - Facing elimination, the Canadian under-20 soccer team upset the Czech Republic 1-0 on Thursday to stay alive at the World Youth Championships.

Thanks to Iain Hume's goal in the 80th minute and a penalty save by Alim Karim, the Canadians have a chance to advance to the round of 16 as one of the four best third-place teams.

There are six groups in all at the 24-country tournament, with three pools having completed their first-round schedule. The other three wrap up Friday.

The Canadians (1-2-0 with three points) already have the edge over Mali, the third-place finisher in Group A, by virtue of goal difference. So they just need to be better than one other third-place finisher in Groups D, E or F to progress.

Group E is perhaps Canada's best bet. Mexico and Saudi Arabia are both mired in the basement with one point from 0-1-1 records. The Mexicans play Ireland (1-0-1) while the Saudis take on the Ivory Coast (1-0-1) Friday.

Group D is also a possibility with third-place Japan (1-1-0) having the same points and goal difference as Canada prior to its game Friday against Egypt (1-0-1).

The only other time Canada has survived the first round at this tournament was in 1997 in Malaysia.

"We're extremely proud of them," coach Dale Mitchell said of the young Canadians. "Whatever happens (Friday) in terms of the other results and us getting through, you can't take the win against a country like the Czech Republic away from them at the World Cup."

In Group A action Thursday, it was the United Arab Emirates 0 Burkina Faso 0 and Slovakia 1 Panama 0. In Group B, it was Argentina 3 Mali 1 and Spain 1 Uzbekistan 0.

Hume scored from 10 yards out to cap off a sorry night for the Czechs, who missed a penalty and had central defender Petr Knakal sent off in the 63rd minute for picking up his second yellow card.

When Knakal was sent off, Mitchell sent on substitutes Sita-Taty Matondo and Chris Lemire to stretch the Czechs.

Hume, a native of Brampton, Ont., who plays for Tranmere Rovers in the English Second Division, has been Canada's most dangerous attacker at the tournament.

He had another chance in the first half that was cleared off the line and was also stopped on a free kick.

"He's come through up front for us and scored goals like we thought he would," Mitchell said.

The Czechs (0-1-2) exit the tournament after finishing last in Group C with two points following earlier draws against Australia and Brazil.

Australia (2-0-1) won the group with seven points after a surprise 3-2 win over three-time champion Brazil (1-1-1).

Hume's goal was a rare highlight in a lacklustre game. It followed a sharp pass from Matondo.

Czech striker Pavel Fort had his 51st-minute penalty attempt saved by Karim, his second penalty stop of the tournament. Referee Horacio Elizondo from Argentina awarded the Czechs the spot kick after Canadian right back Richard Asante fouled Czech midfielder David Limbersky inside the penalty area.

-

Lineups

Canada: Alim Karim, Winston Marshall, Kevin Harmse, Andres Arango, Jason Di Tullio, Gordon Chin, Iain Hume, Atiba Hutchinson, Josh Simpson (Chris Lemire, 76th), Elliot Godfrey (Sita-Taty Matondo, 64th), Richard Asante.

Czech Republic: Tomas Grigar, Petr Knakal, Roman Hubnik, Tomas Sivok, Milan Zacharias (Michal Hubnik, 83rd), Martin Latka (Vaclav Prochazka, 46th), David Limbersky, Petr Sima, Pavel Fort, Ladislav Volesaki, Milan Petrzela (Emil Rilke, 66th).

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

Damn Sportsnet and their horrid little hobgoblin ways. Turn on the lights!

Why castigate Sportsnet, they do more than any other network to bring soccer to Canada, even when it may be against their financial interests? Why not TSN, TLN, the Score, etc.? CBC is the biggest villain, at least they have an official mandate to serve Canadian identity. They should be forced to cover any major international sporting event a Canadian team is involved with, unless some other network is providing coverage.

I actually enjoy figuring out this kind of thing, so I think I determined all of the scenarios where Canada gets through. Group F is complicated and has the greatest chance of an error, and is also the least likely to occur.

Canada needs only one of the scenarios below to occur.

Group D

8:45 EST Columbia - England

11:30 EST Egypt - Japan

if Japan lose and England do not win - Canada are in

all other scenarios - Canada finishes behind Group D 3rd place finisher

Group E

8:45 EST Saudi Arabia - Ivory Coast

11:30 EST Ireland - Mexico

if neither Mexico nor Saudi Arabia win - Canada are in

all other scenarios - Canada finishes behind Group E 3rd place finisher

Group F

8:45 EST Korea - US

11:30 EST Germany - Paraguay

if any matches result in a draw:

- Canada finishes behind Group F 3rd place finisher

if Korea and Germany win:

- if Korea win by 3 or more and Germany win 1-0 - Canada and Paraguay are tied

- if Korea win by 3 or more and Germany win by 2 or more - Canada are in

if US and Germany win:

- if US win 3-0 and Germany win 1-0 - Canada and Paraguay are tied

- if US win 3-0 and Germany win by 2 or more - Canada and Korea are tied

- if US win by 4 or more and Germany win 1-0 - Canada and Paraguay are tied

- if US win by 4 or more and Germany win by 2 or more - Canada are in

if Korea and Paraguay win:

- if Korea win by 3 or more and Paraguay win by 3 or more - Canada are in

if US and Paraguay win:

- if US win 3-0 and Paraguay win by 3 or more - Canada and Korea are tied

- if US win by 4 or more and Paraguay win by 3 or more - Canada are in

- all other scenarios, Canada finishes behind Group F 3rd place finisher

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

Why castigate Sportsnet, they do more than any other network to bring soccer to Canada, even when it may be against their financial interests? Why not TSN, TLN, the Score, etc.? CBC is the biggest villain, at least they have an official mandate to serve Canadian identity. They should be forced to cover any major international sporting event a Canadian team is involved with, unless some other network is providing coverage.

Well, first, the post was in the spirit of some of the previous. But I will castigate Sportsnet particularily as they are the official braodcaster fo the CSA, they have ample reason to believe that soccer is a product they can develop and if we advance, they will be kicking themselves for not doing so. I'd laugh at them if it wasn't so sad for us viewers. CBC, I release from blame simply because a succession of cuts to their budget by various canadian governments over the past 2 decades has essentially made them unable to take on anything of this nature. Unlike Sportsnet, who have something of an interest in developing a viewership for soccer, the CBC needs a profit guaranteed. TSN and the other sports networks are also guilty, but they do not have any particular commitment to Canadian soccer and as such, I hold them to a lower standard.

Well Sportsnet is the exclusive rights holder for all Canadian national team games. It's only after they decide they're not going to show something that someone else can jump in. I agree that they certainly do more for Canadian soccer than anyone else, but they paid for that right. With it comes some responsibility and I many people feel they are letting us down at times.

If they can afford to rent an empty house in Regina for a month, set up a set on a scaffolding in the front yard and stick Marty York and Jody Vance in said treehouse once a night and put them up for a week, I think they can afford to buy the right to our games. They did in 01, how expensive can it be?

cheers,

matthew

Archived