U-20 Canada-Brasil Match Reports

David C.

Brazil 2 : 0 Canada

(FIFA.com) 28 Nov 2003

Brazil confirmed their billing as one of the pre-tournament favourites after running out comfortable winners against a stubborn, well-drilled Canadian team in Group C’s opening match of the FIFA World Youth Championship UAE 2003 at the Rashid stadium, Dubai. Second-half strikes from Daniel Carvalho, after his twice-taken penalty had been saved, and Nilmar finally brought a smile to the face of coach Paqueta and hundreds of yellow-clad supporters following a disappointing opening half.

Canada opened brightly with Sita-Taty Matondo, looking like a slim DaMarcus Beasley, using his electric pace to good effect down the right flank. Brazil, playing three up front but without injured striker Dagoberto, were, typically, taking time to find their rhythm. However they almost went ahead inside the first ten minutes when Sao Paulo midfielder Kleber’s skimming shot was finger-tipped round the post by a diving Alim Karim.

The game was being played at a fast and furious pace in the early stages which suited Dale Mitchell’s Canucks. Iain Hume, sporting a red Mohican, jinked round a couple of defenders before his dangerously cross was cleared. Then, just before the half-hour mark, all-action midfielder Josh Simpson shrugged off two challenges and whizzed in a 25-yarder that cleared the bar by inches.

The young Selecao were slowly beginning to dominate and when the second half commenced they had a golden opportunity to make it count. Referee Eduardo Iturralde, who had seconds previously booked Kleber for diving in the box, pointed to the spot when number 10 Nilmar was brought down after exquisitely nutmegging his defender.

Daniel Carvalho stepped up to slot it home low to the keepers left, but as he turned to celebrate the Spanish official, spotting an infringement, called him back to take it again. This time Karim blocked the nervous shot to trigger the waving of a sea of Maple Leaf flags.

Sensing Paqueta’s team were about to turn it on, the Brazilian contingent together with adopted locals, turned the loudspeakers up a few decibels and the South Americans suddenly found their pitch. After a fine knock down by Nilmar, Daniel Carvalho made up for the penalty miss by cutting his volley high into the top corner (1-0, 56).

“They (Canada) were marking us tightly so at half-time I told my players to move around more and create spaces,” said Brazil coach Paqueta after the match.

Canada, who had been guilty of giving the ball away, now had a great chance to equalise. After racing onto a delicious through ball, the dangerous Hume beat one defender, but, one-on-one with goalkeeper Henrique Fernando, saw his left-foot shot pushed around the post (73).

“I cannot fault him. It was a good first touch and he hit the target. Their keeper pulled out a fine stop,” lamented Canadian coach Mitchell.

As the match entered its latter stages, the long legs of Flamengo’s Andrezinho were beginning to become more prominent. First, he scratched the paintwork with a curling 20-yard effort, then hit the side netting after a great through ball from Daniel. Left again in oceans of space down the left, his cross-shot was palmed by Karim to Nilmar, who coolly clipped it over the sprawled keeper and high into the net (2-0, 84).

“The first game of a championship is always difficult especially when you come up against Brazil,” said Mitchell later. “We played it defensively, just as we intended, but with their quality and patience they got on top of us.”

“This is the third game we’ve played together,” added Paqueta with a frown, “so we needed time. But we gradually got better. We have an advantage in that we possess experience but I’m almost preparing the team during the competition.”

Canada Vs South America at the U-20 WC:

1979 Canada-Paraguay 0-3

1987 Canada-Brazil 0-1

1997 Canada-Argentina 0-2

2001 Canada-Brazil 0-2

2003 Canada-Brazil 0-2

Very tough opposition. 5 losses in 5 games and still waiting for our 1st goal for. We got the same result against Brazil than 2 years ago. I'm just hoping to get more from the other 2 games. I don't want to live the same dissapointment against Australia than I got against Irak in 2001.

quote:Originally posted by Christian B.

Canada Vs South America at the U-20 WC:

1979 Canada-Paraguay 0-3

1987 Canada-Brazil 0-1

1997 Canada-Argentina 0-2

2001 Canada-Brazil 0-2

2003 Canada-Brazil 0-2

Very tough opposition. 5 losses in 5 games and still waiting for our 1st goal for. We got the same result against Brazil than 2 years ago. I'm just hoping to get more from the other 2 games. I don't want to live the same dissapointment against Australia than I got against Irak in 2001.

We lost to Argentina 2-1. Bent scored the goal.

Here's the CSA's version of things today.

Men's Youth (U-20) Team

Friday, November 28, 2003

Brazil Defeats Canada 2:0 At WYC

Canada’s Men’s Youth (Under-20) Team opened the 2003 FIFA World Championship with a 2-0 loss to a talented Brazilian team in front of 13,150 at the Rashid Stadium in Dubai, UAE, Friday. Canada thwarted the highly touted South Americans for the opening 75 minutes but Daniel Carvalho’s left footed volley from inside the area opened the Brazilians account and just under ten minutes later, Nilmar added a second to take the first three points of the group.

There was very little between the two sides in the opening 45 minutes with both teams failing to really threaten either of the two goalkeepers, although the pace of the Canadians on both flanks seemed to cause the Brazilians problems early on. However, in the 14th minute it was the Brazilians who had the first shot on goal when Kleber played a nifty one-two that opened space at the top of the Canadian penalty area. The Brazilian’s rasping shot along the ground seemed destined for the corner but an alert Alim Karim in the Canadian goal managed to push the shot around his right post.

Twenty minutes later, it was the Canadians who came extremely close when Victoria’s Josh Simpson skipped by two defenders on the left and knifed across the top of the box. Simpson took aim from approximately 20 yards out but his right-footed drive sailed just beyond the upper-right corner of the Brazilian net. The teams shared a few half chances after that but neither team could break down each other’s backline.

When the teams returned from the interval they did so with a little more invention and urgency. The Brazilians came close in the 46th minute when Kleber appeared to have found space behind Canadian defender Kevin Harmse. The Brazilian striker dropped immediately though after minimal contact and was immediately cautioned by the Spanish referee for play-acting. The Canadians quickly countered and when the ball fell to the feet of halftime substitute Elliott Godfrey at the top of the Brazilian area, the Watford-based striker lashed a shot just over the upright.

A minute later, the Brazilians again found themselves deep into the Canadian area and after some quick passing sprung a Brazilian striker in the area, Andres Arango’s mistimed tackle had the referee pointing to the spot. The left-footed Carvalho stepped up to take the penalty and hammered his shot to the right. Karim, despite guessing correctly could not keep the shot out. However, the referee had claimed a Brazilian had crossed in the area before the ball had been struck and ordered the penalty to be re-taken. This time Karim stood his ground and kicked the Brazilian’s strike out for a corner.

The Brazilians finally managed to pry open the Canadian defence in the 56th minute when Daniel sped down the left and delivered a cross to the back post that was nodded back for Carvalho, who had positioned himself just to the left of the penalty spot. His left footed side-volley sailed into the far left corner beyond a helpless Karim and the Brazilians were ahead, much to the delight of the majority of the 13,000 in attendance.

But the resilient Canadians would come extremely close to equalizing just less than 10 minutes later when a delightful ball off the boot of Franco Bruno released Iain Hume. Hume pulled away from the two towering Brazilian central defenders and from about 10 yards out, hammered a shot that looked to have beaten the Brazilian keeper to the near post. But, Fernando Henrique managed to just get a hand to the shot and the Brazilians were breathing a collective sigh of relief.

That save proved to be the difference as the Brazilians took advantage of a stretched Canadian side in the 84th minute by doubling the score line just minutes from fulltime when Nilmar tapped in a rebound after Karim had made the initial save off a Carvalho strike.

“It’s always difficult to know what you are going to get when you play Brazil but I am quite happy with how we played,” said Canadian coach Dale Mitchell during the post-game press conference. “When you play an opponent with that kind of quality, you know they are going to take advantage of one of their chances, and that’s what happened. Having said that, we had a real opportunity to change the face of the game when Iain pulled away from two quality defenders to create that chance, but the keeper made a superb save.”

“Now we must prepare for another quality opponent in Australia,” concluded Mitchell. “By no means has this group been decided and we knew that no matter what happened in our first game, that would be the case.”

November 27, 2003 – FIFA World Youth Championship

Rashid Stadium, Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Canada 0 (0)

Brazil 2 (0)

Goals: Brazil: Daniel Carvalho (56), Nilmar (84)

Canada: 1 – KARIM Alim; 2 – MARSHALL Winston; 4 – HARMSE Kevin; 6 – ARANGO Andres; 7 – DI TULLIO Jason (12 – BRUNO Francesco 66’); 8 – CHIN Gordon; 9 – HUME Iain; 10 – BELOTTE Wyn (16 – GODFREY Elliott 46’); 13 – HUTCHINSON Atiba (captain); 15 – SIMPSON Josh; 17 – MATONDO Sita Taty. Substitutes not used: 3 – LEDGERWOOD, Nikolas; 5 – DUTRA Waldemar; 11 – LEMIRE Chris; 14 – EDGAR David; 18 – ASANTE Richard; 19 – LINDLEY Thomas; 20 – WAGENAAR Joshua. Head Coach – MITCHELL Dale (CAN)

Brazil: 1 – FERNANDO Henrique; 2 – DANIEL; 3 – ALCIDES Eduardo; 4 – ADAILTON (captain); 5 – CARLOS Alberto; 7 – DANIEL Carvalho (19 – FERNANDINHO 75’); 8 – DUDU; 9 – ANDREZINHO; 10 - NILMAR; 13 – KLEBER (15 – JUNIHNO 84’); 14 – ADRIANO. Substitutes not used: 6 – COELHO; 11 – DAGOBERTO (injured); 12 – JEFFERSON; 16 – JARDEL; 17 – GABRIEL; 18 – RENATO; 20 – ANDREY. Head Coach – PAQUETA Marcos (BRA)

I'm glad Hume's got the mohawk again. You should see Belotte's hair. It looks like cornrows, but I think it's just vertical stripes, but two of them are redish orange and the rest are black.

Sounds like we did not too bad. Nice to hear Alim made some nice saves and we frustrated the Brazilians somewhat.

And the 'sea of Canadian flags' is probably a little writer's creative liscence, but it sounded damn good.

cheers,

matthew

P.S. There start times are going to kill me.

I have reconsider my views of this game played against Canada and Brazil after looking at the game on tape. It appears as some mentioned a relatively close game till the 1/2 time is true and I retract my statement that they got a whooping however, I firmly believe that Brazil took that position in the first half and a wait and see approach and changed it completely in the second half. It seems very certain that they must adjust there style of just trying to compete defensively to rather to a more offensive minded squad of keeping the ball in possession and not giving it up so many times they did. Unfortunately they did not score on that one and only chance but getting one chance won't win games for you. Most of the fouls committed by this team were given up in the natural zone, due to the lack vision and its position off the ball when brazil had possesion. If they can get a quick fix on these issue of positioning, maintaining more possesion, specially in the natrual zone were they were outplayed 90% of the time. Canada must control the ball in this area but just not defensively but rather offensivley. If they want to turns things around with there next opponents. But I believe we are asking a lot of them to this based on what i see in this game with Brazil. We wait and see!

http://www.fifa.com/en/comp/event/match,1046,2003,a,c,5.html

Dwayne DeRosario has some serious competition for the title of 'Hair Canada'. Alberto, give me a break. Canada had some chances. Let's see how the Aussies and Czechs do against Brasil.

The photo doesn't want to come up. Follow the links.

to 'Gallery' at http://sports.yahoo.com/sow for Wyn Belotte's new do.

quote:Originally posted by Alberto

Canada got a whopping today by the Brazilaian team had complete control of every aspect of the game possession, shot on net, corners, just failed miserably in all catorgies in the game. Very poor showing by this team and dispointing if the least, We be lucky to score a goal in this tournament, more to come agaisnt us if this continues.

I bet Julian Uccello would have won us the game single handed too! Save the chicken little routine until after we have a poor outing against a team that isn't representing the world power of the sport.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Dwayne DeRosario has some serious competition for the title of 'Hair Canada'. Alberto, give me a break. Canada had some chances. Let's see how the Aussies and Czechs do against Brasil.

The photo doesn't want to come up. Follow the links.

to 'Gallery' at http://sports.yahoo.com/sow for Wyn Belotte's new do.

capt.xkj10211281647.emirates_world_u20_xkj102.jpg

Nice.. thats quite the pair of striker hairdo's.. looking forward to seeing Mr. Hume's red mohawk

Ryan keay--------

your post has little to offer inregards to the game itself, I'm only outlining the facts of the game and the statistics behind them, this has nothing with a julian playing or not playing for the team after all he is only 16 you would'nt him to be the youngest Italian ever playing for Canada would you!. And beside that he not ready to play at this level of competation and nor as i was told is he interested!!! The fact is they will be lucky to score if they play the way they did today! Given the ball up as many times as they did nobody will be able to score on this team! 1 shot on net is not good with 19 committed fouls by this team is something to be disired . Its an observation and a fact of the game! SO no offence to thee~ but those are the facts

Regarding those pics, the one with Kleber going to ground is very likely the yellow card incident.

Daniel, no one is disputing that Matondo is slight, but Beasley is "all-world" in the skinny legs department so it seems funny to use him as a comparison.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Regarding those pics, the one with Kleber going to ground is very likely the yellow card incident.

Daniel, no one is disputing that Matondo is slight, but Beasley is "all-world" in the skinny legs department so it seems funny to use him as a comparison.

I think it's a bit of a joke to show how skinny Taty is and to describe his play at the same time.

Here's the Canadian Press report. All reports I've seen have been fairly complimentary to the Canadian effort on the day. We almost pulled off the draw, by the sounds of it. Sure beats trailing Iraq 3-0 at the half like we did in the 2001 opener. Belotte was played as a lone striker in the first half.

Canada opens world under-20 soccer championship with 2-0 loss to Brazil

2 hours, 9 minutes ago

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (CP) - Canada put on a solid showing but was still beaten 2-0 by three-time champion Brazil on Friday in the opening matches for both countries at the world under-20 soccer championship.

Canadian Press Photo

"We always knew it was going to be a tough start," said Canadian coach Dale Mitchell. "We're not too down about it."

The Canadians were not overawed by the occasion and had a chance to pull even at 1-1 late in the game before the Brazilians added an insurance goal.

A first-half penalty goal by Daniel Carvalho was disallowed because the Brazilian (news - web sites) striker's teammates moved into the box before the kick was taken. To the disappointment of thousands of Brazil fans in the crowd of 18,000, Carvalho sent his second attempt straight into the arms of Toronto goalkeeper Alim Karim.

Carvalho made up for his mistake in the 56th minute with a powerful shot from inside the penalty area that gave Brazil the lead.

Nilmar added the insurance goal in the 84th minute on the counter-attack.

"We defended quite well," said Mitchell. "Tactically we were pretty solid. We didn't have a ton of chances but we did have one very good chance when the score was 1-0."

Striker Iain Hume of Brampton, Ont., eluded the Brazil defence late in the second half but was denied by a good save.

"If it had got to 1-1, who knows what would have happened?" Mitchell said. "But as it happened, they got the second one."

In the other Group C match Friday, Australia and the Czech Republic tied 1-1.

"We've seen the other two teams play now, they're good teams but they're not Brazil," Mitchell said. "If we can perform as we did today and our confidence improves, then we'll have a chance in the next two matches."

The young Canadians play Australia on Monday.

Defending champion Argentina, another South American favourite, also opened with a win Friday. The Argentines came from behind to defeat another top contender, Spain, 2-1 in Group B.

By beating Spain, one of Europe's top teams, Argentina is in a commanding position heading into Monday's match against Uzbekistan.

In the other Group B match, Mali scored an injury-time winner to defeat Uzbekistan 3-2.

In Group A action, Burkina Faso edged Panama 1-0.

Brazil coach Marcos Paqueta criticized his team's first-half performance.

"The problem with Brazilian soccer is that often we play very nice, for the gallery, but with no results," he said. "The most important thing is that the team won. Now we have to concentrate on our training. This is a World Cup and we cannot underestimate our rivals."

But Mitchell was complimentary.

"They're a good side," he said of the Brazilians. "They'll be one of the better teams here, there's no question about it. They've got quality players."

Mitchell played Montreal's Wyn Belotte as the lone striker, with Hume playing just behind him. Belotte was replaced after the first half by Elliott Godfrey, who was born in Toronto before Britain when he was three.

Mitchell said the move to take off Belotte was tactical.

"He wasn't hurt. He was just playing against two good centre backs. We decided to make the change, bring Elliott in, to see if we could get a little but more possession and push Ian a little further forward.

"It nearly paid off when Iain got right through."

On Saturday, England takes on Egypt and Japan plays Colombia in Group D; the Ivory Coast plays Ireland and Mexico faces Saudi Arabia in Group E; while Paraguay plays Korea in Group F.

The three-week event, postponed in March because of the war in Iraq (news - web sites), is seen as the discovering ground for some of the sport's brightest young stars. The tournament has witnessed the rise of the likes of Argentina's Diego Maradona, Portugal's Luis Figo and England's Michael Owen.

-

Lineups

Brazil: Henrique Fernando, Eduardo Alcides, Daniel, Adailton, Carlos Alberto, Daniel Carvalho (Fernandinho 74th), Dudu, Anderzinho, Nilmar, Kleber (Juninho 40th), Adriano.

Canada: Alim Karim, Winston Marshall, Kevin Harmse, Andres Arango, Jason Di Tullio (Francesco Bruno 70th), Gordon Chin, Iain Hume, Wyn Belotte (Elliott Godfrey 45th), Atiba Hutchinson, Josh Simpson, Sita-Taty Matondo.

I am here in Dubai and was at the game...while you are right, Brazil dominated statisically, they did not dominate in the only statistic that counts. In fact, can you tell me a game where they didn't domninate in possession, shots, etc...if you want stats, play AE SPORTS. The chance that Hume had was a breakaway and the keeper made a helluva save...had that gone in, this game would have ended level.

Hey backstick, thanks for the report. We're all still behind the boys and I think the reports sound like we played them well. I don't see the sense in criticizing if you haven't seen the match. Glad you could set the records straight.

Do us proud over there.

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

Alberto, how did you get a tape of this game?

thru a friend of mine a brazil supporter :( unforutnately who tape the game and is in Dubai right now.

recieved it thru the net via web cam and watched the game last night from his tape.

A positive-(ish) report from the UAE:

http://www.gulf-news.com/Articles/news.asp?ArticleID=104072

Brazil boots right on target to sink Canada

Dubai |By Alaric Gomes, Staff Reporter | 29-11-2003

Print friendly format | Email to Friend

It was patience that saw things through for three-time champions Brazil as they collected full points to start their campaign with a 2-0 win against Canada in the 2003 FIFA World Youth Championship at Rashid Stadium yesterday.

If the Samba Kings were expecting a cozy start to their campaign, they certainly did not have one as the young Canucks matched them with some sturdy defence, especially in the first half.

"The first game is always the toughest and I am happy to pick up the three points," said Brazilian coach Marcos Paqueta.

Brazil's Danile (left) and Canada's Chin Gordon fight for the ball. ©Gulf News

In fact, it was the Canadians who made the first entry into the penalty area when Sita-Taty Matondo made a dash down the right and squared into the area for one of the defenders to clear to safety.

Brazil's first clear look at rival goal came in the 14th minute as Dudu sent in a stiff grounder only to see an alert Alim Karim parry away for an abortive corner.

Canada's band of overseas players, namely Atiba Hutchinson, Iain Hume and Wyn Belotte, proved more than a handful for the Brazilian defence. "They did create some problems for us early in the game," Brazilian coach Marcos Paqueta admitted.

In the 22nd minute, Hume - who plays for Tranmere Rovers in England - made a swift move down the left and relayed it inwards only for Fernando Henrique to consume it.

The best scoring chance for the Brazil came three minutes from half-time when Dudu came in possession at the edge of the box following a hasty clearance, but found his shot trickling over meekly with only the goalkeeper at his mercy.

The start of the second session heralded a frenzy of activity. In the very first minute, Kleber advanced into the area with the intent of scoring and came crashing down - off his own initiative to earn the first yellow of the game.

Two minutes later, Brazil got the best chance to forge clear when Nilmar was bought down by Josh Simpson. Striker Daniel Carvalho placed past goalkeeper Karim, only for referee Eduardo Gonzalez to disallow the goal because one of the Brazilians had entered the box before the kick was taken.

Carvalho re-took the kick and goalkeeper Karim brought off a valiant save to deny Brazil the lead.

But this euphoria following the narrow escape did not last long as the Brazilians literally camped inside the Canadian territory. And when the second session was exactly 10 minutes young, the near full stadium got a chance to witness sheer soccer poetry in motion.

Adriano made a swift run down the left and sent in a cross for Nilmar to deftly chest towards an incoming Daniel Carvalho to crash in a left-footed volley giving Karim no chance at all.

After this first goal, Brazil threatened to score at every given move.

Brazil put the issue beyond doubt five minutes from the end when Andrezinho worked his way down the left and crossed in for Kleber, who cleverly evaded it for Nilmar to chip into an empty goal.

Archived