canadian liga

snake

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, why not?

Oh yeah, money and stadiums.

Just need a nice, big, fat, league sponsor. Canadian Tire, or Safeway or something. Or Canadian Tire AND Safeway or something. Ohhh! MCM would love that! The Canadian Tire Westlands Division! The Safeway Eastern Division! The Can-West Global Cup!!

Gotta have a demand for TV rights to sell them for money. Methinks any Canadian soccer league would be buying television time on any of the sports networks then trying to offset the cost with advertising. I think we'd have to shelf the idea that there would be a bidding war for the broadcast rights.

the big question mark might be hamilton.what did they average in the csl.its amazing that a city the size of toronto has such third world soccer facilities,centennial or birchmount?have to go with birchmount.saskatoon drew 6200 for a calgary storm game last year,would be the only entertainment ticket in town during the summer.montreal and quebec form a natural rivalry.quebec drew 9000 for an impact game last season.halifax could easily be off this list because of travel costs.winnipeg would surprise people.could potentially average in the 6-7000 range.same as edmonton.calgary would have to figure something out stadium wise.would probably average about 2-2500 in the loop.vancouver would average 5000 in the league.8000 when they build their stadium.

quote:Originally posted by snake

victoria-windsor-regina-st john n.b. would all be considered expansion material.kelowna would average 3500 a game easy.what did the vistas average in the csl 2200.

The Okanagan Predators didn't draw well in the PDL, Okanagan Challenge didn't draw well in the PCSL, nor did they draw well when the Vancouver 86ers played a regular season game in Kelowna. Saying they'd now magiacally draw 3500 in a new Canadian soccer league is a stretch.

Victoria has a better facility.

quote:Originally posted by snake

saskatoon drew 6200 for a calgary storm game last year,would be the only entertainment ticket in town during the summer.

Yeah but they couldn't play out of that same stadium in a proper league, the pitch is way too small, they'd have to play out of the Gordie Howe Bowl, which has a capacity of 3954 (so I hear).

quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

Yeah but they couldn't play out of that same stadium in a proper league, the pitch is way too small, they'd have to play out of the Gordie Howe Bowl, which has a capacity of 3954 (so I hear).

Lots of room for butts on the grass around the pitch however. The capacity is an overstatement, likely, as you would need exclusively thin people to attend. 3200-3500 would be comfortable. With a little will, this stadium could be expanded easy enough. $s another issue of course.

Great F****N topic!!! I think that this is the best/only way to develop the game at the highest level in Canada. As far as expansion goes. I think London would be a better market then Regina or Saint John and should probably be let in from the start. As far as the Kelowna/Victoria debate. Why not let them both in. I think places like Winnipeg, Saskatoon and Halifax might be in tough financially because they'll have to do allot of flying. But all the power to anybody with the initiative (and resources) to start a club in a nationwide league!

The thing that I would also like to see is the establishment of academies with these clubs. Getting kids involved from the start would be a great investment in the future and overall stability of the league.

I think that 12 teams would be pushing it to start with anyways, so adding additional franchises off the get-go would make it even more of a stretch. While having multiple teams in a league would be great, I don't think you'd want the product too diluted.

I'd echo the sentiments about sponsors. I think the first guys you go after would be the airlines. See if you can cut a deal. Free travel for the teams for exclusive sponsorship(s). You solve the travel issue and you solve the biggest obstacle (outside venues) to a Canadian league. That would allow teams to sink money into player salaries and infrastructure. :D

:DYesssss, Bring back the N.S. Clippers, they lasted 1 year:(

Ain't it fun though;pro soccer in Canada lives! Speculation on new teams, watching old teams re-organize.Wishing for the good ole CSL, days[8D]November in Canada,Hockey fills our sportsworld.Come on give us 6-12 soccer teams to help fill those sport pages between hockey and hockey[^]

I wan't to expand this idea a little bit.

What about, at least for the first few years make it a regionally based league. By that I mean two conferences, West and East, each with two divisions.

West Conf

Pacific Division Midwest

Victoria Saskatoon

Vancouver Regina

Kelowna Winnipeg

Edmonton Thunderbay

Calgary

East Conference

Central Division Quebec-Atlantic

Toronto Halifax

Hamilton QC

London Montreal

Windsor Laval

Ottawa NB

Or something like that

Teams would play each team in there own division twice

and each team from the other division once.(With the exeption of the Midwest having to play some extra divisional games)

Then a single knockout cup takes place with the winner of each conference playing in a national final(pre determined site). OF course not all teams would qualify for the cup, there would have to be some sort or elimination criteria

This would hopefully eliviate some of the travel costs at the begginning to help out not so stable clubs survive until a more nationwide league can be established.

just a thought

the okanagen sun average 2500 for junior football at the apple bowl.westjet would be a great sponsor.expenses would be in can dollars.currently A league clubs have to submit a 50.000 non refundable cash deposit to the league office every year,if that kind of money was disshed out in the old csl it would still be here.

Why do these threads always end up talking about divisions and alignment? That is the most useless thing to talk about. When there are 4-5 A-League teams how are we going to align 16 teams in a Canadian league? From where are all these teams going magically appear?

I do like the airline sponsorship idea, I have thought of that before. It would make good sense for West Jet to cut a deal in exchange for national exposure. Sign boards on every field, maybe a logo on a jersey. That way any highlites on tv, newspaper pics, or live broadcast show off the logo. I don't know about free flights, but maybe a really good discount for sure.

Can we exchange more business ideas please? Cuz that's the only way this league is ever gonna get up and running.

If you didn't notice, the divisional proposal was buisiness minded.

Instead of hoping for a huge corporate sponsorship from the start, start the league regionally, potentially in concert with a youth devel system. Once it grows in popularity and capital wise, then integrate it onto a more national level. Limiting sponsorships to airlines exclusively may be smart in the short run, but may satgnate growth in the long run. I suggest keeping initial sponsorship more local at the start, as to garner a base of support. The key is to start small, gather strength, then grow. Canada's size makes it very difficult to start a nationwide league right from the start. That is unless someone with extremely deep pockets is willing to take a substantial loss to make the league viable. Bottom line, such a league is a five to ten year project. Unless an unknown savior presents themselves

Think you're on the right track but too many teams here. Think we need to stick to larger centres or the $$$ may not be there.

EAST

Toronto

Montreal

Hamilton

Ottawa

QC

Halifax

WEST

Vancouver

Edmonton

Calgary

Regina

Winnipeg

10 team league that could be developed in and then broken away from the A-League.

Just my 2 cents...

quote:Originally posted by Pony

If you didn't notice, the divisional proposal was buisiness minded.

Instead of hoping for a huge corporate sponsorship from the start, start the league regionally, potentially in concert with a youth devel system. Once it grows in popularity and capital wise, then integrate it onto a more national level. Limiting sponsorships to airlines exclusively may be smart in the short run, but may satgnate growth in the long run. I suggest keeping initial sponsorship more local at the start, as to garner a base of support. The key is to start small, gather strength, then grow. Canada's size makes it very difficult to start a nationwide league right from the start. That is unless someone with extremely deep pockets is willing to take a substantial loss to make the league viable. Bottom line, such a league is a five to ten year project. Unless an unknown savior presents themselves

Who said I was limiting sponsorship to airlines? I said it was a good idea and we need more like that. An airline sponsor is not the saviour but its a start. Having grass roots development is great, but who or what is going to take it to the next level? That's the problem with cpsl and pcsl and such leagues. It grass roots but that's it. You need a business plan, that's all I'm saying.

Archived