canadian liga

snake

Bettermirror:

i might just do that.

afterall there is nothing better going on during Gregorian XMas for a Ukrainian:)

Free kick:

the idea is to generate revenues by first sparking interest. What if, lets just pretend, the 10k the gov gave the cpsl was instead donated to the csa to help rent out a major complex like Landsdown or commonwealth or somthing. Thereby allowing fans to come for free in the first year. If the game was good maybe those fans might just return for the next years final. If there are enough fans attending, maybe some big sponsors might want to have their name flashed infront of them The point I'm making is that sacrifices (Financial that is) will be required in the first few years of any endevour. Therefore making looser affiliations at the beggining may help to keep costs lower.

Furthermore using a broadbased approach, by that I mean as many entries as possible spreads the risk involved. This is something that is done at the highest levels of all sport and buissines for that matter. The more investors the more stable the project.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by argh1

[}:)]Simple rules of economics.

Supply and Demand. When the market demands, supply will follow.

There will be a Canadian league when the market demands one. This I believe , there will one day be a canadian league, as I believe QPR will one day be EPL champs , FA cup holders , League cup holders ,and Champions League champs all in the same year !Ooops that's being a fanatic not a fan[:o)]

Thank you... that makes sense to me

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

I do not see what "interconnecting" leagues accomplishes. To run a club in a professional manner you need REVENUES

Revenus mean clients ( clients to see the games, buy merchandize etc). The CPSL or any other similar league do not have clients.

the reason they don't have clients:

one could probably write an essay on this one but four reasons are:

1)facilities

2)marketable talent or product

3)lack of required investment capital.

4)sizable market

I do not see how interconnecting solves anything.

Sorry but I don't mean to sound condescending. Its just that this topic has been rehaashed a million times over the many years. I am just frustrated when I have to hear time and time again the idea that you could magically pluck some soccer team in one of a gazillion tiny centres accross canada and poof you have something that will keep players in canada and turn us into next soccer power.

Thank you Free Kick! So back to my original question, can we exchange more business ideas please?

Impact Supporter: Yet another great format.:D

I still think the Cup format might be the simplest way to go. The League would be great and I am a big supporter for a League but it will take some effort, not impossible just effort. The key, I think, is to get a team into a CONCACAF event. A National champ, with an all expenses paid trip to obscurity;)! Give these teams a chance to sell their players. I assume more money can be made off one Lars Hirschfeld or Owen Hargraves than 5 years of 3,000 bums in bleachers. The bigger the event, the bigger the scouts; am I right?

The current landscape has 5 A-League teams in big markets. I think it would be very easy for the CSA to step up to the soccer community and say, "Hey, we want to showcase the best domestic talent in Canada to the Canadian and CONCACAF media and we need your [the SA's] help in making it happen." The Cup format lends itself to sudden-death excitement. Win and move on, lose and go home.

The format is simple, 16 teams played in single elimination format on two double header long weekends (Sat-Mon). First round has 4 hosts. To utilize the best facilities and recognize the top clubs, 4 of the A-League teams would host the 1st and 2nd round matches (VAN, EDM, TOR, MTL). Allow winners and losers to play in 2nd round matches, the losers are not getting a 2nd chance just a guarantee of 2 matches for the effort of travel. Semis and Finals would be played at least a month latter to allow for travel plans to be made and hype to build. Hosts could be selected as a bid or drawn.

5 A-League teams

3 PCSL reps

3 CPSL reps

3 Challenge Cup reps

2 CIS reps

I did leave off the PDL teams just to use this as a starting point.

All said the Cup would have a minimum of 15 games and a maximum of 20. I'm thinking of CSA reps, refs, supports staff, etc. The final could be televised as Spotsnet is not sure where their next be ratings event will come from. In as many as 5 cities. When you look at a League senario, even 10 teams will play at least 18 games (if a balanced schedule is used).

Thank you Coppercanuck for seeing the light!

Why stop at sportsnet. CanWest-Global could probably be lobbied too. My only suggestion is instead of Challenge cup and CIS reps, include PDL sides then play down (meaning entries from all three) regionally in pre tourney play. You then slot the 'qualifiers ' in accordingly.

So thats 5 a-league

3 PCSL

3 CPSL

5 Amateur Qualifiers

Now we're on to something. I'd love to watch Halifax's King of Donair or Edmonton Victoria (AMSL) play the Montreal Impact in a Canadian Open Cup Final (or any other combination for that matter). This would help build awareness of the quality of Second Division (Canada - third Division N.A.) football and help build revenue bases for those clubs. It would also help to drive awareness of the various pieces of organized soccer in Canada and would drive greater coordination and cooperation in the future among all of the leagues ... perhaps leading eventually to the demand for a truly national Canadian premier league [i also am a fan of promotion/relegation ... but we won't go there for now].

OK here's my idea:

Form leagues in each province. For example, NS would have its own Premier League, Div 1, etc with promotion and relegation.

The champions of each provincial league would play in a Canadian Champions league. Maybe you could even expand that to the champion and the runner-up.

As provincial leagues basically already exist, this format would be based on a foundation of grass-roots soccer and would mean that all areas of the country would have soccer. Granted, PEI might be the perennial Faroe Islands of the Canadian Champions League, but I think it could work.

coppercanuck:

For a Canada Open Cup, what about this as a format:

Round 1 : Provincial Cups played over the summer

10 provincial cup winners

Round 2 Around August, the CSL division 2, or Canadian teams that play in the PSL(USL D3 Pro League) enter to face the provincial cup winners.

Round 3: End of August, the CSL division 1, plus the CIS and CCAA winners (or PCSL and CPSL winners)or Canadian A-League teams enter to face the Round 2 winners

September regional playdowns

October semis and final

Just a thought.

I like impact supporters idea allot. Except that CCAA and CIS winners have the potential of losing allot of players between November previous and August. You'd have to have a clause that let all the players of the championship team play in the next year's tourney, eligible for the next CIS season's play or not. Universities might have a problem paying the way for players having already left their respective programs.

However these are minor changes and those teams probably wouldn't go past that round anyway;)

ok. it seems we have a tonne of great ideas.

who is/are the boss(es) of this little group we have?

we need to sit down somewhere and hammer out logistics and then propose it to the CSA. talk is cheap. can we get something done or are we truly canadian? (reference to the maher arar situation when we didn't get anything done for an infinity)

You are right, talk is cheap but out of little acorns, mighty oaks grow.

Another thing: Say no to a North American wide league. For god sakes, we have been virtually thrown out of the NHL, a sport we invented. Every other country has its own soccer league, and Canadians should aim very modestly indeed to make sure that we have a league/leagues that can exist financially but more importantly reach all of the country. A league that only serves large cities is doomed. Look at the Québec Major Jr League with such teams as Mirimichi, Cape Breton etc. That's what our soccer should represent. You only need teams the size of Toronto if you are competing against New York and other mega-cities. Aim locally. If you look at the Scottish leagues, some of their first Div have attendances in the thousands, which is something a multitude of Canadian cities could deal with. How many of you want to support Montreal just because it is the closest team (a mere 1000 km away).

This rant could go on and on....[8)]

canadian premier soccer(cps)

western league

victoria

vancouver

kelowna

calgary

edmonton

saskatoon

regina

winnipeg

eastern league

windsor

st catherines

hamilton

toronto

ottawa

montreal

quebec

kingston

maritime league

fredricton

moncton

st john

st johns

halifax

charlottown

cape breton

maritime league is div 2

Movement is good. Even though I just joined this forum, it is something that I have been thinking about for at least 2 years.

I think the idea comes just from the simple observation that others have made about the problems with soccer in Canada (another thread in the General discussion I believe): ie geography, money, etc. It just does not make sense to have teams flying all over the country, unless you are talking about the elite teams of a series of regional leagues that have broad grass roots support.

Count me in to go beyond the dreaming stage. Maybe get several people to sign on to something and present it to the CSA or something?

quote:Originally posted by Highbury

Movement is good. Even though I just joined this forum, it is something that I have been thinking about for at least 2 years.

I think the idea comes just from the simple observation that others have made about the problems with soccer in Canada (another thread in the General discussion I believe): ie geography, money, etc. It just does not make sense to have teams flying all over the country, unless you are talking about the elite teams of a series of regional leagues that have broad grass roots support.

Count me in to go beyond the dreaming stage. Maybe get several people to sign on to something and present it to the CSA or something?

If you were to look at an ideal setup for a Canadian league (10 teams) you would notice something. Up to half the league wouldbe placed within a single geographical area (Windsor-Quebec City corridor)

A team can set up their travels out to the other end of the country by grouping a series of matches in a way you would only have to make 2 trips to the opposite end during a season. One can then balance it out with matches against teams in their own regions.

Since teams would be similar to the current A-League setup, the costs for a league could easily controled.

I think if people here in this forum are serious about one day having a Canadian league, we should start writing out a proposal to the CSA.

Personnally, I think to start with a small 8 team league would be great. Elite regional leagues already exist so provincial leagues would do little to enhance what we already have. If we would have regional; league they would have to be limited to maybe 4-6 teams per region otherwise the talent would run thin. Use the CFL as an example.

Maybe the "Execs" of the voyageurs would like to step in at this time to take the floor?? We could actually create an official letter??

quote:Originally posted by massimo

I think if people here in this forum are serious about one day having a Canadian league, we should start writing out a proposal to the CSA.

Personnally, I think to start with a small 8 team league would be great. Elite regional leagues already exist so provincial leagues would do little to enhance what we already have. If we would have regional; league they would have to be limited to maybe 4-6 teams per region otherwise the talent would run thin. Use the CFL as an example.

Maybe the "Execs" of the voyageurs would like to step in at this time to take the floor?? We could actually create an official letter??

I typed up a blueprint of my own, but I lost it when I overhauled my computer.

Oh well.

Back to the keyboard.

quote:Originally posted by massimo

Maybe the "Execs" of the voyageurs would like to step in at this time to take the floor?? We could actually create an official letter?

Well, by choice there are no Voyageurs "execs". There are only people who have volunteered to lead projects or take control of things as representatives of all Voyageurs. As one of the people who, in particular, has experience in initiating and implementing a Voyageurs project, the following is what I would suggest.

Voyageurs projects have typically been led by those who initiate them, with help from others who are interested. So the people in this thread can take on the project themselves. HOWEVER, you need approval from the majority of Voyageurs before making the project an "official Voyageurs project". Therefore you need to clearly explain to us what it is you want to do, how you're going to go about doing it, etc., and then we will probably have to vote on it. Therefore, you guys should first get together and prepare something to present to the rest of us. Keep in mind that both forums have to be addressed.

Of course, another option is for the people in this thread to do this project themselves, without using the name "Voyageurs".

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived