canadian liga

snake

Perhaps. Eventually. But, not right off the bat. The league would have to grow to encompass all of the teams mentioned (and some would not likely be in a Canadian League).

For the sake of arguement, let's say the league began with eight teams. Those teams could be:

Vancouver

Calgary

Edmonton

Winnipeg

Toronto

Ottawa

Hamilton

Montreal

When the time is right, the league could expand - let's say by increments of two (East and West to balance travel).

One year you could add:

Victoria

Quebec City

then:

A Saskatchewan based team, be it Saskatoon or Regina

Halifax

then:

Kelowna

London

etc. etc. etc.

I don't believe that you would find a team from Thunder Bay in a Canadian League. The travel issues could be problematic.

Good question.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A Canadian league should be started with a base of 10 teams. Their shouldn't be any expansion for some time in order for them to have a strong base.

After that can moving into other cities be considered. At most, 12 teams would be sufficent.

quote:Originally posted by aussoccerfan

I AM ONLY THIRTEEN-YEARS OLD,

BUT, COULD THIS WORK AS A SOCCER LEAGUE ?

VANCOUVER

KELOWNA

EDMONTON

CALGARY

REGINA

SASKATOON

WINNIPEG

THUNDER BAY

LONDON

HAMILTON

MONTREAL

QUEBEC CITY

SAINT JOHN

HALIFAX

I am only 13 years old,

So, I could not start a new soccer league,

I posted that on the previous page,

asking if it could work, and maybe give someone else an idea.

Right now the best thing to do is to create 4 different province leagues. Like for an example:

( Being that top two teams from every divison play in a final tournament hosted by a city. Teams only play teams in conference twice. So twelve teams in random city in a one week tournament. its all knockout, lose and ur out.)

Canadian Premiership:

Eastern Conference:

OPSL Division

Toronto

Vaughan

Thunder Bay

Windsor

Ottawa

Hamilton

QPSL Division:

Quebec City

Montreal

Rimouski

Brossard

Dorval

Hull

NF/NBPSL Divison:New Foundland/ New Brunsick Professional soccer league:

St.Johns

Fredericton

Saint John

Moncton

Western Conference:

BCPSL Division

Vancouver

Abbotsford

Victoria

Vancouver

Kelowna

Kamloops

A/MPSL Division Alberta /Manitoba professional soccer league

Calgary

Edmonton

Medicine Hat

Red Deer

Winnipeg

SPSL Division

Regina

Prince Albert

Saskatoon

Moose Jaw

Its hard to say. The last few years seemed like they might be the dawn of a new league but alas, it never happened, and word on a Canada Open Cup has stalled to a seeming halt. But it is definitely possible that a system could be set up leading to a Canadian league within several years of development.

I think we'd have to resign ourselves to A-League style "tours" of certain areas for away games, for example a team from Ottawa playing away games against Victoria and Vancouver in the space of a few days for practical reasons. Scheduling could be done so the games aren't horribly unbalanced.

Since we are on the topic of plans, etc I post this URL for the newcomers to see where some of the discusssions have been before:

My CSL Plan (1999): http://members.shaw.ca/t.godwin/csl/

The CUSL Blueprint (2000): http://members.shaw.ca/t.godwin/cusl/

I am pretty sure there have been others but these were ones I worked on.

We have been down the path of what cities where and what sort of schedules many times.

Perhaps the forum admins might post an introductory FAQ for the forum that includes something like "Topics already done to death" with some sampling of postings or links to stuff like the plans I did and LOSF's history page.

quote:Originally posted by Champs

Right now the best thing to do is to create 4 different province leagues. Like for an example:

( Being that top two teams from every divison play in a final tournament hosted by a city. Teams only play teams in conference twice. So twelve teams in random city in a one week tournament. its all knockout, lose and ur out.)

Canadian Premiership:

Eastern Conference:

OPSL Division

Toronto

Vaughan

Thunder Bay

Windsor

Ottawa

Hamilton

QPSL Division:

Quebec City

Montreal

Rimouski

Brossard

Dorval

Hull

NF/NBPSL Divison:New Foundland/ New Brunsick Professional soccer league:

St.Johns

Fredericton

Saint John

Moncton

Western Conference:

BCPSL Division

Vancouver

Abbotsford

Victoria

Vancouver

Kelowna

Kamloops

Calgary

Edmonton

Medicine Hat

Red Deer

Winnipeg

SPSL Division

Regina

Prince Albert

Saskatoon

Moose Jaw

NEW BRUNSWICK AND NEWFOUNDLAND ARE OVER A THOUSAND KM APART.

quote:Originally posted by ted

Perhaps the forum admins might post an introductory FAQ for the forum that includes something like "Topics already done to death" with some sampling of postings or links to stuff like the plans I did and LOSF's history page.

Yeah, I've been thinking about that for a while. If no one else does it I'll try to get to it eventually, but it will probably be a while.

Though I know what would happen: people would skip the FAQ just like they skip the search feature that already exists.

Drillers81,

Thanks for digging that up! I still feel that way - put collective efforts into a real open cup, producing a legitimate Canadian champion. This will do wonders for generating enthusiasm for soccer at all levels in Canada - which eventually will create the demand for a national league. To do it backwards risks repeating history.

quote:Originally posted by martin lechelt

Drillers81,

Thanks for digging that up! I still feel that way - put collective efforts into a real open cup, producing a legitimate Canadian champion. This will do wonders for generating enthusiasm for soccer at all levels in Canada - which eventually will create the demand for a national league. To do it backwards risks repeating history.

A cup won't do anything these days. Fans expect much larger things compared to an Open Cup Competition. The odds and conditions are far much better for a domestic league then for an Open Cup.

That's a good idea.

Does anyone know how far it is from Halifax NS to Laval PQ

( How many hours )

Moncton to Montreal approx 10-12 hour drive, Moncton to Halifax 2 1/2 -3 hour drive = Halifax to Montreal 12 1/2 to 15 hour drive. Not including finding parking etc. Usually at a nice leisurly pace, stopping for food , coffee etc. From my home in Moncton to inlaws in Pointe Clair........13-14 hours:( They one day will fix the part from Edmunston to Riviere Du Loup , that's not a highway:(

Oh ....yeah, you can deduct an hour for the time zone change;)

I don't know why you'd add Winnipeg into your Alberta division; it makes far more sense to add Winnipeg into the Saskatchewan division. Unless, of course, you're concerned about the fierce Winnipeg vs. Province of Saskatchewan rivarly getting violent. In which case it makes sense to fly them over Saskatchewan for away games and into the safety of tranquil Alberta.

However, I am very glad to see that Medicine Hat has made the cut; I'm sure that the franchise/club there could do some serious marketing to the British Army Training Unit Suffield (20 miles away) and pack the stands at Athletic Park, adjacent to the beautiful South Saskatchewan River.

And I'm equally glad to see that Lethbridge didn't make the cut, what with them and their ****ty-ass Fort Whoop-up Flag!

Blair

quote:Originally posted by Champs

Calgary

Edmonton

Medicine Hat

Red Deer

Winnipeg

SPSL Division

Regina

Prince Albert

Saskatoon

Moose Jaw

quote:Originally posted by argh1

Moncton to Montreal approx 10-12 hour drive, Moncton to Halifax 2 1/2 -3 hour drive = Halifax to Montreal 12 1/2 to 15 hour drive. Not including finding parking etc. Usually at a nice leisurly pace, stopping for food , coffee etc. From my home in Moncton to inlaws in Pointe Clair........13-14 hours:( They one day will fix the part from Edmunston to Riviere Du Loup , that's not a highway:(

Thank You!

argh1 is there a New Brunswick senior league ?

Thank You!

I read some of the above posts,

Could this work ?

west

VANCOUVER

KELOWNA

EDMONTON

CALGARY

WINNIPEG

east

TORONTO

OTTAWA

MONTREAL

QUEBEC CITY

SAINT JOHN

HALIFAX

Who thinks someone will ever make this list a soccer league ?

Vancouver

Victoria

Calgary

Edmonton

Winnipeg

Hamilton

Toronto

Ottawa

Montreal

Quebec City

Saint John

Halifax

quote:

Thank You!

Yes there is an NBSL consisting of boy's and girl's U12 up to senior levels , no website ?

Locally the Codiac club and I don't want to leave any others out but registaration is not due 'till May 1 for teams so we won't know 'till then what teams will play. But usually South East N.B. usually has a few teams , I won't speak for Fundy region, Capital region , North East or North West regions or Miramichi.

I maybe wrongly assuming the aus in your moniker stands for Atlantic University Sport , but as you know there is UdeM AIGLES BLEU, MT A MOUNTIES, also in the Moncton area, and Atlantic Baptist University BLUE TIDE, playing in the Atlantic Colleges league, The local teams have a strong rivalry with UPEI as it's only an hour and a half away. Try www.soccernb.org www.atlanticuniversitysport.com or www.acaa.ca for other info

Yes there is an NBSL consisting of boy's and girl's U12 up to senior levels , no website ?

Locally the Codiac club and I don't want to leave any others out but registaration is not due 'till May 1 for teams so we won't know 'till then what teams will play. But usually South East N.B. usually has a few teams , I won't speak for Fundy region, Capital region , North East or North West regions or Miramichi.

I maybe wrongly assuming the aus in your moniker stands for Atlantic University Sport , but as you know there is UdeM AIGLES BLEU, MT A MOUNTIES, also in the Moncton area, and Atlantic Baptist University BLUE TIDE, playing in the Atlantic Colleges league, The local teams have a strong rivalry with UPEI as it's only an hour and a half away. Try www.soccernb.org www.atlanticuniversitysport.com or www.acaa.ca for other info

yes, aussoccerfan does stand for

Atlantic University Sport Soccer Fan.

Thank You for answering my question.

Archived