World Cup u20

Unnamed Trialist

Semis this upcoming week, Israel vs. Uruguay and South Korea vs. Italy, who have been the only favourite who has lived up to the name. Being played in Argentina after they took it away from Indonesia. 

Anyone watching? I haven't been, but yesterday I saw on the livescore that Israel was tied with Brazil in quarter finals at the half, I had it on Gol, and watched the last half then extra period.

Spectacular really, the maturity, skill and mentality of the Israel team was impressive. Brazil went up 2nd half, you'd figure it was done; then Israel drew, Brazil was really nervous, but it went to extra periods. Brazil scored again straight out, m. 91, Israel got one back immediately. Then around m. 110 , a truly great goal, a slalom dribble in the box, 3-2. Then Israel got a penalty to kill it off, the keeper stops and on the rebound, the keeper fouls a player going in on it. Second penalty, different taker, he sends it wide. But Israel was still able to hold on. Recommended if you can find it.

Frustrating to think we can't be there because we weren't able to knock of Domincan Republic. Who went 0-3 not surprisingly. As did Guatemala. Between the two of them they got 1 goal in the group stage.

Have to say, on the official highlights I saw of the Brazil-Israel, incredibly they left out the game winner, the 3-2 isn't on that clip. Everything else but this amazing winner.

The semis go Thursday, I always prefer a team that has never won or is less storied, so an Israel-Korea final would be very original.

Also: people often assume that u-20 success pans out with the seniors, but I remember when Serbia won vs. Brazil in 2015, with a great team, and Paunovic coaching, and you can't say that vaulted Serbia to bigger and better things at all. Nor did it help Paunovic's coaching career, which I was suprised by. Just a bunch of solid top tier players, like Grujic, Eustaquio's teammate, who did not play that final, Rajkovic the Mallorca keeper, scorer Maksimovic at Getafe. The Milinkovic-Savic brothers. All top players, none of them in the very elite tier.

Wasn't going to watch but taking in the second half, 0-0. Uruguay more insistent, intense. Italy getting carded for diving, where did they learn you don't have to play? Both teams very physical and a bit of dirty play on both sides.

I think Uruguay has the edge because of the crowd, and some individual quality, with maybe 80% of the stadium in their favour.

Uruguay get a late goal after Italy had a red turned back by VAR, think they deserved it. They play with more spark and had a feel of being young, fresh, which I like. The Italians are overly tactical and some are too dedicated to gamesmanship, which is assinine. In the end you're not even showcasing yourself if you play like that.

First world trophy since they won the World Cup in 1950.