Match Thread: Voyageurs Cup - Semi-Finals - CF Montreal v Forge - May 24, 2023

It would be tough for Forge to go there and get a result against this MLS side, Forge were nervous and careless at times but eventually Montreal exploited the gap in class, as I posted pre match Forge was going to be clinical up front to have any chance, that didn't happen but realistically Forge could have conceded 2 or 3 more goals!

My observation would be that both CanPL teams were not terribly overmatched by the personnel they were playing against (Vancouver was resting many of their top players), but both had trouble matching the opposition's speed of play at times, and both made a few costly mistakes. I look back to 2021 and by the time Forge played Montreal, they had already finished the first leg of their Concacaf League quarters. I suspect playing those games against better quality teams helped raise the quality of their play, and they really deserved to win that game against Montreal.

Pacific and Forge are so far the class of CPL and if they played more against better opposition I think they both could have raised the level of their game. There are some games in CPL where I feel Forge is rather complacent and play down to their opposition. Unfortunately, Champion's League is likely to be one-and-done for most teams, so I doubt it will do much to improve the level of the league.