Canada vs Morocco - Monday, October 10th - 10:30am Eastern / 7:30am Pacific - Jerez de la Frontera, Spain

Canada vs Morocco
Monday, October 10 2022
10:30am Eastern / 7:30am Pacific
4:30pm local
Estadio Municipal de Chapín, Jerez de la Frontera, Spain

Broadcast in Canada:
ONESOCCER (live - online)

Broadcast elsewhere:
TBD? - I cannot find any information about a Moroccan broadcast.

Canada's squad:
https://canadasoccer.com/news/canada-wnt-announces-squad-for-october-international-matches-against-argentina-and-morocco/
Since the above article was published, we have received news that Sinclair and Lawrence are out and Stratigakis is in.

Morocco's squad:
https://site.frmf.ma/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/دوري-إسبانيا.pdf (listed in Arabic)
https://site.frmf.ma/feminine-a/actualites/

Canadian players who played a full match in the previous friendly:
Beckie
Buchanan
Fleming
Zadorsky
Sheridan (GK)

Canadian players that didn't play a single minute in the previous friendly:
Burns
Jade Rose
Schmidt
Scott
Stratigakis
Sabrina D'Angelo (GK)
Lysianne Proulx (GK)

Turkey Breakfast for tomorrow morning!

I'd want to see Proulx start in goal for this one. I'd also like to see Stratigakis, and Rose start and Burns get some minutes.

Morocco lost 0-4 to Poland in their previous friendly and Poland just drew 2-2 with Argentina early today. Morocco is a team we should beat even without some of our regular starters.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

When playing 2nd tier World Cup bound teams, I was looking for Canada to impose their identity. But amongst Canada, Argentina & Morocco, Argentina imposed the most via their South American tactical nous. 

Canada's identity in its on half is set and has improved since the Olympics. It doesn't look like there is time to develop an identity in the opposing team's half by the World Cup. They don't press, they don't create enough chances, they don't shoot, they don't force good saves from keepers, they don't capitalize enough on transition opportunities, they don't navigate well in tight spaces in & around the box & they don't do set pieces well. It looks like Canada will again need to employ their Olympics tactics to get beyond the quarters.

Or you have hope for at least a couple of breakthrough performances at the club level this season as we have seen with the men. 

In watching England vs USA last Friday, from being at par with Canada a decade ago, England has leaped way beyond Canada such as in controlling tempo. They had 70% of the possession & over 2x more passes. They have Keira Walsh who knows how to pull the strings & Georgia Stanway who knows how to break the lines. 

Like Canada, the US play is more disconnected but they do have 2-3 precocious young talents who are top players for their clubs. While disconnected, the US is dangerous on set pieces, plays a Red Bull style press that most women's teams can't handle and plays with higher intensity overall that creates numerous transition chances.

Edited by red card

To me, the most disappointing aspect of Canada's performance in this window was their inability to move the ball forward on the ground through the center of the park, against two second-tier teams. Passes straight forward usually got pinged immediately backward. They had to move the ball wide, or over the top, to go forward from the back.

It feels like women's teams elsewhere in the world, especially Europe, have progressed significantly in talent and tactics in the last year or so while Concacaf teams have stagnated.

Edited by Pomoxis