Match Thread: July 31, 2022 - Atletico Ottawa v Forge

6 minutes ago, Ivan said:

It could actually be 3 CPL clubs should a team other than the League champ and playoff champ win the Voyageurs Cup. 

I wonder what would happen if say a CPL team lost to an MLS team in the Voyageurs Cup final, but the MLS team also qualified via MLS or Leagues Cup.

15 minutes ago, Ivan said:

It could actually be 3 CPL clubs should a team other than the League champ and playoff champ win the Voyageurs Cup. 

Probably will be occasionally. The Sacramento Republic are 90 minutes away from the CCL via the US Open Cup after knocking out three MLS clubs, which is more than CanPL clubs would ever have to do. Involvement in North American Cup groups during the CanPL regular season would have been better for drawing crowds (Atco Field in February anyone?) and being more competitive in the games. Money talks in CONCACAF though and MLS and Liga MX appear to have been able to get what they wanted.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

21 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Probably will be occasionally. The Sacramento Republic are 90 minutes away from the CCL via the US Open Cup after knocking out three MLS clubs, which is more than CanPL clubs would ever have to do. Involvement in North American Cup groups during the CanPL regular season would have been better for drawing crowds (Atco Field in February anyone?) and being more competitive in the games. Money talks in CONCACAF though and MLS and Liga MX appear to have been able to get what they wanted.

Which also adds to the intrigue, and expands on @narduch question.  What if a CPL team wins the VC, does the League or Playoff runner up then get in?  Would like to be a fly on the wall in the boardroom when that is all being hashed out!

I happened to be in Ottawa this past weekend so I went to this game.  Overall, it was a really fun atmosphere on a perfect night to watch a soccer match.  The crowd was very much into things despite the lop-sided score for the visitors.  (There was also a small but loud contingent of Forge fans at one end of the stadium who were having a fun time.)

The team and fans are doing well to make it a fun game day experience.  I'm hoping they can continue to build their attendance.