Match Thread: June 14, 2022 - Edmonton v HFX Wanderers

6 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Salter looks to be a pretty strong finisher. Is he strong overall?

Are you asking if he's physically strong or a strong overall player?  I can try answer both 🙂

Physically I don't consider him strong.  He's tall and uses his height well but he goes down fairly easily, I think often by design as he's attempting to professionally simulate the foul in a key offensive position.  I have noticed at times he can overdue it and the usuals in my section sometimes yell for him to get up.  Personally I don't mind it, you've got to use your strengths and weaknesses to your advantage.  I think some would like to see him in the middle up front but I don't think that suits him physically and he's better in a front two or on the wing in a front three.

As far as skills go, I think he's great in hold up play, he does a great job getting the ball under control giving the time his team needs to join the attack.  He controls the ball well at his feet and links up with others.  He's not someone I've seen using his height to get his head the ball (at least that I remember).

Mid-Late last year he was someone who I enjoyed watching and was doing many things right but couldn't buy a goal.  He missed a few really good opportunities and seemed snake bitten in front of goal.  This year he's clearly found the net and has thankfully stepped up to fill part of the void left by Morelli.  He's scored against Cavalry and TFC and has 5 goals in all comps so that's finishing, whether or not it's strong I'll leave for everyone else to decide.

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

Are you asking if he's physically strong or a strong overall player?  I can try answer both 🙂

Physically I don't consider him strong.  He's tall and uses his height well but he goes down fairly easily, I think often by design as he's attempting to professionally simulate the foul in a key offensive position.  I have noticed at times he can overdue it and the usuals in my section sometimes yell for him to get up.  Personally I don't mind it, you've got to use your strengths and weaknesses to your advantage.  I think some would like to see him in the middle up front but I don't think that suits him physically and he's better in a front two or on the wing in a front three.

As far as skills go, I think he's great in hold up play, he does a great job getting the ball under control giving the time his team needs to join the attack.  He controls the ball well at his feet and links up with others.  He's not someone I've seen using his height to get his head the ball (at least that I remember).

Mid-Late last year he was someone who I enjoyed watching and was doing many things right but couldn't buy a goal.  He missed a few really good opportunities and seemed snake bitten in front of goal.  This year he's clearly found the net and has thankfully stepped up to fill part of the void left by Morelli.  He's scored against Cavalry and TFC and has 5 goals in all comps so that's finishing, whether or not it's strong I'll leave for everyone else to decide.

You might be close to my section (105). The old timers that sit next to me at the top of section 104 yell after him all the time when he is down. They call him "Salty".

When Fced when gives up a goal. İt's an atrocious defending. Alan Koch  can complain about travel and budgets but the goals that they are giving up are just sloppy week after week. Should have had a draw and win last week. This overall roster can compete but dropping points. 

Are the players under conditioned ? 

Starting to think Jeff Paulus and Colin Miller could get this team in the middle of the pack this year and CM doesn't know a lick about his team needs to score 😂

1 hour ago, Haligonian#1 said:

You might be close to my section (105). The old timers that sit next to me at the top of section 104 yell after him all the time when he is down. They call him "Salty".

Ha, “Salty”, I like it.  I’m in 103, close to 104. Could be part of what I hear but there’s definitely a few yells from 103.