2018 NWSL Season

tc-in-bc

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, BreadBoy said:

Are you suggesting the league is more like a glorified showcase tournament? Or am I misreading you?

No not that exactly, just that, for instance, in 2016, they did a 20 game schedule, and to format it they each team play everyone twice (so that's 18 games) plus then an extra two games against your "local rival", which wound up kinda messing with the standings - WNY finished two points ahead of Seattle after a season where Seattle had to play Portland (shield winners) four times while WNY had four games against Boston (who were just really super terrible) - last year they did 24 games which iirc was just "you play some teams twice and some other teams three times" but I might be wrong. 

10 hours ago, carolynduthie said:

No not that exactly, just that, for instance, in 2016, they did a 20 game schedule, and to format it they each team play everyone twice (so that's 18 games) plus then an extra two games against your "local rival", which wound up kinda messing with the standings - WNY finished two points ahead of Seattle after a season where Seattle had to play Portland (shield winners) four times while WNY had four games against Boston (who were just really super terrible) - last year they did 24 games which iirc was just "you play some teams twice and some other teams three times" but I might be wrong. 

Well if they had 10 teams what they could do is form 2 conferences, say East and West. You play each team in your conference 4 times (16 games) + 2 times against the teams from other conference (10 games) for 26 games.

4 hours ago, BreadBoy said:

Well if they had 10 teams what they could do is form 2 conferences, say East and West. You play each team in your conference 4 times (16 games) + 2 times against the teams from other conference (10 games) for 26 games.

Yeah, the problem with that is there's a bunch of teams down the east coast (Boston, Jersey, North Carolina, Washington, Orlando) and then get pretty scattered further west (Chicago, Houston, now Salt Lake, Portland and Seattle) which makes travel costs significantly higher for west conference teams - I mean they could still do it but at least trying to keep it even(ish) and having people play their "local" rivals more often helps spread the travel costs evenly. 

So  the Boston Breaker rescue fell through on Sunday and a Dispersal Draft is scheduled for Tuesday, January 30, 2018  1:00 pm PT  /4:00 pm ET .

Link: http://www.nwslsoccer.com/news#nwsl-announces-dispersal-draft-order-and-available-players

Dispersal Draft Order:

1. Sky Blue FC
  2. Washington Spirit
  3. Seattle Reign FC
  4. Portland Thorns FC
  5. Utah Royals FC
  6. Houston Dash
  7. Chicago Red Stars
  8. Orlando Pride
  9. North Carolina Courage

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Supposedly some big shocks on there according to Charles Boehm.  Not sure what that means since I don't know the ins and outs of the program but I'm sure the shocks will be explained when it drops lol

Think it's the same players except that Quinn and Leon are now allocated. That also means that Kelly and Pierre-Louis are not. Also Steph Labbé is not allocated. 

So apparently at the TFC breakfast with season ticket type people this morning according to a couple of Tweets I saw,  President Bill Manning said TFC was looking into potentially starting a women's program, starting discussions in the next 18 months, with an eye towards the NWSL.  

If they go through with it, good, but wish it was a quicker timeline, or that they started the process a couple of years ago...

11 hours ago, Vic said:

For the sake of women, anyone but TFC. Anyone. 

Sadly this is what women's soccer has been reduced to. People who have never had a tinkers interest in you until you could put money in their pocket.

They not only have money, but top notch facilities and staff in them.  It just makes sense to extend that to the women, as well.  You've often pointed out how the Dutch women have benefited from similar relationships with men's clubs.  Who better than the MLS teams to mirror that here in Canada?

And I wouldn't call MLSE an organization that is only interested in making money.  The Leafs do that for them in spades.  They seem to be focused on winning hardware now.  They've used the profits from the Leafs to make TFC good, and I have no problem with them doing that for a women's team, as well.

There are a number of countries who mandate men's A clubs to have women's programs.  At a federation/country level it's not a great platform though as strong-arming people with no interest is never great design.

TFC are like ManU. Well maybe not as progressive. United actually had a weak program until Malcom Glazer bought them and killed it. And they actually have some weak youth girls programs who use crap facilities.

The women's game isn't the men's game. We don't need MLS D1 women's teams. What good is D1 women's?  How can you get there if you can't play at level to get there? What will end up happening? We'll have a couple token Canadians on the rosters. Whoop de woo.

We need D2 teams. And more D3 teams.

More importantly though we need programs run by people who believe in women's soccer and who's motivation isn't simply a dollar sign.

Especially from clubs who have demonstrated and communicated zero interest in the women's game (youth or adult).  As an organization you're either female-friendly or you're not. TFC isn't.

I'd rather hear about a group in London thinking of running a high-end elite women's program. That would be something to get excited about.

• 1 month later...

NWSL final opening rosters dropped earlier this week. By my count there are 14 Canadians ( 11 allocated by the CSA ) , 10 Australians , 7 Brazilians, 4 players from Japan, 4 players from New Zealand,  3 from South Africa,  2 from England and a variety of nations with just 1 player.

41 minutes ago, BreadBoy said:

Does anyone know if the Lifetime channel in Canada carries the game of the week? Or can we just stream here or watch it later on the weekend through the NWSL video channel?

They didn't last year, but the games (and all of the other games, which are on some weird streaming platform in the US) were all available on the NWSL website for international viewers. 

Archived