2018 NWSL Season

tc-in-bc

Houston DashVerified account @HoustonDash 2h2 hours ago    Welcome to Houston, @lindsay_agnew! Dash acquire the forward and sixth overall selection from the Spirit in a trade for the third overall pick in the 2018 @NWSL College Draft. INFO: http://bit.ly/2mOGEjR

Washington SpiritVerified account @WashSpirit 2h2 hours ago   We've acquired the No. 3 overall pick in the 2018 #NWSL College Draft from the Houston Dash in exchange for Lindsay Agnew and the No. 6 pick. Read More:  http://bit.ly/2Dcwj7l

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[ 1 ]  No Erin McLeod in the NWSL this year . She signed with a German club:

Rich Laverty @RichJLaverty 6h6 hours ago

Change of heart, mind and location for @erinmcleod18. Canada international following Ella Masar to Germany, penned a deal this afternoon with Bundesliga side USV Jena which will keep her there until the end of the season.

Rich Laverty @RichJLaverty 6h6 hours ago

McLeod initially wished to return to the NWSL but there appears to have been some confusion about her rights, so the goalkeeper has decided to remain in Europe.

Rich Laverty @RichJLaverty 4h4 hours ago

As I now understand it, McLeod believed Houston Dash had waived her rights when she left the club for FC Rosengard two years ago. Dash also believed they didn't hold McLeod's rights anymore, but it came to light recently when McLeod looked at moving back to the USA that they do.

[ 1 ]    CONFIRMATION  of Erin Mcleod going to FF USV Jena:

https://www.dfb.de/news/detail/jena-knupfer-geht-mcleod-kommt-180998/

[ 2 ]   Erin Mcleod via Instagram  also confirms the move  and adds in  some  criticism for the NWSL :

QUOTE:     I admire the growth of that league but the bonus of playing in Europe is you are in control of where you go as a player. The one  that owns yours rights is you- the way it should be in my opinion.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BeXpOoxFamq/?taken-by=erinmcleod1

The CSA hasn't  allocated any Canadian players to the NWSL for 2018   yet. They tend to wait until all  the  Canadian  players are rostered  on an NWSL team and then allocate the players after the fact. Last year,  Allysha Chapman was allocated to the NWSL but Adriana Leon wasn't.  So the Boston Breakers had to pay  Adriana Leon's salary  and commit an international slot for her. But in 2018,  I would expect the CSA  to allocate both of them to the NWSL . Anyway , there's talk about a dispersal draft for the Breaker's roster:

Steven GoffVerified account @SoccerInsider 2h2 hours ago

Boston Breakers, an NWSL problem franchise for long time, are dead. League will formally announce soon. Player dispersal draft in works. Nine teams this season. Boston issue has been holding up schedule announcement.

That's what they did when the LA Sol folded this close to the 2010 WPS season - obviously not the same people in charge now but given that the league doesn't even have a commissioner "yeah just copy what they did last time" seems like a probable solution. 

(A note: Karina LeBlanc was taken ahead of Marta in 2010.)

Marta's contract was pretty steep back then, a lot of teams wouldn't have had the resources to take her on.

I'm sure players like Leon, Dowie, White and Lavelle will catch on, feel bad for the others who won't though. Crappy timing for them.

There  may be a last-minute rescue of the Boston Breakers in the works:

Beau Dure ?️?‍?Verified account @duresport 3h3 hours ago

So here's the deal on #SavetheBreakers ... 1. People involved don't want to go public just yet, but they insist they have the money. 2. Multiple names we know are involved. 3. Ball is in NWSL's court (and to a lesser extent USSF's) 4. No, I don't know what they're waiting on

Beau Dure ?️?‍?Verified account @duresport 2h2 hours ago

Also can verify that this group is aware of the operating costs -- as @thrace reported, it's up to $5 million for the year. I'm told that's pocket change for this group.

Archived