Jump to content

NWSL Preliminary draft list


MrsC
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/26/2017 at 12:39 PM, MrsC said:

The preliminary draft list is out, and Rebecca Quinn is not on it. Perhaps she is looking at Europe? http://nwsl.us/2BK1Nlb

She's not on the updated list either released Jan 5 but she is listed on the NWSL website as one of the 11 to watch for at the draft : http://www.nwslsoccer.com/news#college-draft-preview-11-players-to-watch

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, BreadBoy said:

She's not on the updated list either released Jan 5 but she is listed on the NWSL website as one of the 11 to watch for at the draft : http://www.nwslsoccer.com/news#college-draft-preview-11-players-to-watch

I know very little in NWSL procedures so I'm asking here but if she's one of the CSA subsidized (not ever sure if subsidized is the proper term) players does she enter the draft or do they (CSA) get a say in where she goes to play?

Edited by Rheo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Rheo said:

I know very little in NWSL procedures so I'm asking here but if she's one of the CSA subsidized (not ever sure if subsidized is the proper term) players does she enter the draft or do they (CSA) get a say in where she goes to play?

1. She is on the declared list now;
2. Based on the past few drafts players that are being allocated do enter the draft (Beckie, Prince & Sheridan were all drafted) - I...don't think the CSA can do anything wrt to who drafts her.

Edited by carolynduthie
Link to comment
Share on other sites

[ 1 ]  In the early days of the NWSL ( 2013 ) , an allocated Canadian player and the CSA had more say about what teams a Canadian player could go to. But presently, I believe that  the NWSL has taken that  ability to choose away from Canada. Now the NWSL strictly control who gets into the league via  the college draft or other player distribution  processes . Stated differently, the NWSL does not want to be stuck with Canadian prospects that they didn't ask for.

[ 2 ]  Last year's ( 2017 ) NWSL  roster rules:

http://www.nwslsoccer.com/2017-roster-rules

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A couple of questions for though is the know:

1. What is the level of play between European vs NWSL? Why would Quinn (or Buchanen) choose one over the other?

2. Can top level CIS players get spots on European or NWSL teams or do they have to go through NCAA to maintain their competitiveness?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, BreadBoy said:

A couple of questions for though is the know:

1. What is the level of play between European vs NWSL? Why would Quinn (or Buchanen) choose one over the other?

2. Can top level CIS players get spots on European or NWSL teams or do they have to go through NCAA to maintain their competitiveness?

 

1. Top Europeans teams are stronger, but are less challenged in their respective league. And I think it comes down to money. Buchanan and Lawrence are probably making more than they would if they were in NWSL. 

2. For Europe, it's possible. Look at Marie-Yasmine d'Alidou Danjou (UQAM), Arielle Roy-Petitcler (Laval), Gabrille Lambert (UQTR) and Pilar Khoury (Ottawa) who are playing D1 in France. For NWSL, I doubt that it's possible unless you are on the senior national team. I highly doubt that NWSL clubs would scout CIS talent, because most of them  count as  foreigners. The only way I see one making a NWSL team is if she's already on the senior national team. And even then, It's no guarantee that it happens looking at rare cases of CIS players on U-20 teams. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...