goalkeeper position

love Canada

When Labbe was playing in the NWSL, she had the second worst goals against average, with Sheridan having the worst in the league.  D'Angelo never got her starting spot back after getting injured earlier this year.  So, I don't think there are any clear winners for the starting position for CWNT.  If Herdman thinks Labbe is the best based on what he knows, I'm okay with that.

I don't think that we have a clear #1 an Sheridan and D'Angelo haven't proven that they're better than Labbé. If they were, they would be starting for us right now. I'm hoping we see Richard in the camp against Norway to compare herself to the other national team goalkeepers. And while her NWSL stats in GAA were bad, I think it's mostly because Labbé was on the worst team in the league, not due to her fault, but because Washington is a dumpster fire.

The weakest position in the team is that of the goalkeeper.  I don't care what Herdman thinks or knows, if he knows anything about goalkeeping.  Should Sheridan and D'Angelo not being better, Herdman and his cohorts should be looking for a genuine starter keeper.  Why is Herdman so ingrained with Labbé is beyond me.  She is without question a far cry from McLeod or even LeBlanc.  I remember too Taryn Swiatek who also had superb performance in crucial games.  Herdman IMO has dropped the ball in the goalkeeping department.

12 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

Labbe is a decent keeper. I prefer my keepers to be a bit taller and her handling of the ball and decision making can be a bit suspect. But she is a good shot stopper and that is an important attribute. And, as others have mentioned, we do not have anyone else who is clearly better.

Agree with all that and I think Labbe may be a better communicator with the defenders.  She is the best distributor of the ball. Also I remember a moment when she went out of her way to console Zadorsky for getting red carded in the Olympics against Australia, it showed composure that she was into the overall picture and not worrying about herself being down a man.

I too like the big keeper idea and would like to see Sheridan as the future.  I was never a fan of LeBlanc except when she was going out and intimidating people, it was the best part of her game, and seeing Sheridan around her teammates, she is a big girl.

Haven't seen much of Stephanie Labbe lately but early on she was ok on the low stuff but a flapper on high balls.

Lots of players have soft parts to their game when they come in and improve as they age. Some players accelerate their game at rapid paces, some never do. That's the mystery of scouting, to try and read where players are on that spectrum. Again don't have any idea where Labbe is, or any of these, I don't watch US school soccer.

Having a world class #1 can win you games outright that you have no right to win. So a crucial, crucial part of a Canadian platform.

The main things for me in a goalkeeper are reading the play, presence, fearlessness, explosiveness, quick thinking and great hand/eye. Strong character of course goes for every player, far more important on the women's side.

Like males, North American females have good well-rounded athletic upbringing for goalkeeper development and have a history of good skills on a world standard.

As I mentioned months ago, tall females goalkeepers are becoming more common around the world, for the same professional reasons as on the men's side. You can't coach height.

That said, heading from crosses into the box isn't a big part of the women's game. There aren't many women out there who can snap and drive a ball like a man, it's generally more redirection, so perhaps height is less important there.  But having someone tall enough to take down those crosses will save you the pinball goals when the balls more frequently come down and bounce around in the box.

Our future regular may not even be playing goalkeeper right now. Hope Solo scored 100+ goals and was an All-American striker in high school. Or she may be just developing her skills. It may not just be 15 year-old's playing in the middle of the park.

Whoever they are, and how old they are, let's just hope we're lucky enough that someone somewhere becomes world class and there is no doubt or argument in anyone's mind.

1 hour ago, Vic said:

The main things for me in a goalkeeper are reading the play, presence, fearlessness, explosiveness, quick thinking and great hand/eye. Strong character of course goes for every player, far more important on the women's side.

I always liked Erin's attitude towards penalties.  A goalie should never be nervous on penalties, the shooter is supposed to score, the keeper should look at it as their chance to be a hero.  It's like taking the last shot in basketball, no one ever remembers the guy who missed the last shot so there is no reason to be nervous.

Archived