The Celtic Football Club

Cheeta

It wasn't all easy.  More than one match was touch and go and left for the late, the Cup final last weekend as an example but point taken.  And a valid point which has been made more than once over the last few decades.  Especially as revenue gaps have grown so much between leagues. 

Still a stupid impressive record, to my mind at least.  Hard not to stumble at some point during the season isn't it?  Otherwise we wouldn't see this sort of thing more than once every 120 years or so.

4 hours ago, dsqpr said:

In many ways it is a shame that there isn't one football pyramid covering all of Great Britain. I honestly don't know the rationale for allowing Welsh clubs to play in the English League but not allowing Scottish ones.

Celtic winning the Scottish title is like Man U winning League One. I hope Glasgow Rangers reach former heights after their bankruptcy to at least make it a two horse race again.

I think it has less to do with the Premier League not allowing Scottish teams in (although that would be a big hurdle) and more to do with the Scottish Football Association not wanting to give up controlling the league. If there were no separate national league then there would be less reason for separate national teams. And this gets into Scottish/British politics.

Hibs got promoted this year and Rangers should be better next year as they continue to rebuild their base.

It was a disaster there in recent years.  For all of Celtic's hate for Rangers, it's not as fun if there's no competition.

The usual order is returning to Scottish soccer and it should soon be back to the competitive dynamic they had for the past 15 years or so.

In 2-3 years they have a solid chance of having 2 Champions League spots again even.

3 hours ago, dsqpr said:

Wales still have their own league but the bigger Welsh teams all play in the English League. Presumably Scotland could do the same if the English FA allowed it. Celtic and Rangers have not been shy about expressing their desire to play in the English League. 

Wales does have a league , but I mean its more of a senior league. Average attendance is just a few hundred fans a game. They likely have trouble making enough money to pay for the gas. I think Scotland would do better then that if you took away Rangers and Celtic but no question it would be a struggle.

I think this potential situation somewhat mirrors the structure we could see in Canadian soccer. CPL with 3 teams in MLS compared to SPL with 2 teams in EPL. I think Scottish football has been held back because if players want to get their career to the highest level they need to ditch Rangers/Celtic and go to the EPL where they are not the hometown heroes. If Celtic and Rangers were in the EPL or Championship then top Scottish players would have teams to join to potentially play with their National team teammates and create some familiarity. 

3 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

I think this potential situation somewhat mirrors the structure we could see in Canadian soccer. CPL with 3 teams in MLS compared to SPL with 2 teams in EPL. I think Scottish football has been held back because if players want to get their career to the highest level they need to ditch Rangers/Celtic and go to the EPL where they are not the hometown heroes. If Celtic and Rangers were in the EPL or Championship then top Scottish players would have teams to join to potentially play with their National team teammates and create some familiarity. 

This is how I see the CPL as well; imagining the SPFL if Celtic and Rangers were to move to the EPL.

• 3 weeks later...

Great season overall, but like you guys already mentioned the lack of overall competition in the SPL make it a little boring. European inconstancy is baffling to me though - getting thrashed 7-0 by Barcelona, then tying Man City home and away. I realize Man City is not on the level of Barcelona, but it's still a little strange.

I'm hoping they can keep the scoring core with Dembele and Sinclair for another season to see how Celtic can perform in Europe with a squad that's a little more adapted to each other. Hate to say it, but Rangers improving a bit over the next few years should push Celtic and improve European performances.

• 1 month later...

Archived