Richie Ryan to The Miami FC in 750K Record NASL Transfer Deal

Sources: Armada send Richie Ryan to Miami in record transfer deal

http://www.empireofsoccer.com/sources-armada-send-richie-ryan-to-miami-in-record-transfer-deal-48052/

In an unprecedented NASL roster transaction, the Jacksonville Armada have completed the transfer of club captain Richie Ryan to Miami FC.

According to several sources, Miami FC are paying a record transfer fee of $750k dollars to Jacksonville for the Soccer Bowl winning midfielder. Northern Pitch was first to break the story. Empire of Soccer can corroborate the report.

When combining all of those numbers, this deal surpasses the seven figure threshold; a record total for the NASL and a number that likely obliterates any club-to-club transfers on the Major League Soccer level as well.

The transfer amount is as whopping as the fact that it happened. For a player they took off the Fury at no cost, they flipped him for a tidy profit.

Really nice to see this in NASL. Developments like this make the league look transparent and supports club freedom in developing their sides. You can build a hordcore base of fans that stay around for years based on running business in this way.

Have to think the money being thrown around by some teams (this transfer, the $150K per season for Heinemann as examples) are going to put FC Edmonton and Ottawa Fury out of business. $750K has to be close to the total FC Edmonton gets in gate revenue for an entire season...

1 hour ago, Red and White said:

The transfer amount is as whopping as the fact that it happened. For a player they took off the Fury at no cost, they flipped him for a tidy profit.

Really nice to see this in NASL. Developments like this make the league look transparent and supports club freedom in developing their sides. You can build a hordcore base of fans that stay around for years based on running business in this way.

Ottawa received money when he moved. Amount undisclosed 

1 hour ago, shermanator said:

Have to think the money being thrown around by some teams (this transfer, the $150K per season for Heinemann as examples) are going to put FC Edmonton and Ottawa Fury out of business. $750K has to be close to the total FC Edmonton gets in gate revenue for an entire season...

The weak Canadian dollar is hurting Fury and FCE more than anything. A $40k player contract hurts more if you're collecting revenue in Canadian vs US dollars.

I'm not even sure if Fury and Eddies pay in Canadian or US dollars.

12 minutes ago, Red and White said:

The weak Canadian dollar is hurting Fury and FCE more than anything. A $40k player contract hurts more if you're collecting revenue in Canadian vs US dollars.

I believe Steven Sandor mentioned that the Eddies pay in Canadian. Fury in US.

On 5/13/2016 at 9:10 AM, shermanator said:

Both clubs are going to fall behind in a hurry.  NASL is growing in leaps and bounds when it comes to player salaries.  They will have a choice - try to keep up, join the CPL assuming it happens, or fold.  

At one time the talk was the CPL would pay more than NASL.  But by the time it gets going, NASL will have surpassed them by a lot.

Jason

On 13/5/2016 at 6:22 PM, Red and White said:

As someone working between Canada and Europe, I defintely calculate what the exchange rate means for me, every time.

So I am sure you are right, it is calculated in, players know it, and it matters--so it does likely hurt our teams.

19 hours ago, Jason said:

Both clubs are going to fall behind in a hurry.  NASL is growing in leaps and bounds when it comes to player salaries.  They will have a choice - try to keep up, join the CPL assuming it happens, or fold.  

At one time the talk was the CPL would pay more than NASL.  But by the time it gets going, NASL will have surpassed them by a lot.

Jason

Let's be honest here. Both clubs have already fallen behind in competing for talent. We saw that this last offseason when seemingly everyone in Ottawa left after ownership refused to open their wallets to keep the winning squad together, and with Lance Laing leaving Edmonton after receiving "the bigger offer ever to an FC Edmonton player".

At least Ottawa draws decent crowds. Edmonton is doing this with an insane travel schedule and minimal attendance. Given that Edmonton's attendance is now dropping steadily, a few supporters I know think the club will be done after next year. Edmonton is a notoriously two sport town, and if you aren't the Oilers or Eskimos, people have no interest.

8 hours ago, shermanator said:

At least Ottawa draws decent crowds. Edmonton is doing this with an insane travel schedule and minimal attendance. Given that Edmonton's attendance is now dropping steadily, a few supporters I know think the club will be done after next year. Edmonton is a notoriously two sport town, and if you aren't the Oilers or Eskimos, people have no interest.

And for how many years in a row have we been hearing this? I really do not believe FC Edmonton will disappear any time soon. 

1 hour ago, shamrock said:

And for how many years in a row have we been hearing this? I really do not believe FC Edmonton will disappear any time soon. 

The only way FC Edmonton keep going on is if Tom Fath continues to lose money on the club, which has been the case for 6 years now. Outside of this fact, there is 0 reason to believe that the club will ever become sustainable to the point of breaking even. If Fath continues to keep the money at the expense of his pocketbook, then that's his choice, but once he's had enough no one will pick up the slack from him (unless a Edmonton Voyageur strikes it rich)

Today the league's big draw was in town, and they drew less than 2700 people to see the Cosmos. That's a pretty tell tale sign that there isn't much interest in the Edmonton sports scene. 

6 hours ago, shermanator said:

The only way FC Edmonton keep going on is if Tom Fath continues to lose money on the club, which has been the case for 6 years now. Outside of this fact, there is 0 reason to believe that the club will ever become sustainable to the point of breaking even. If Fath continues to keep the money at the expense of his pocketbook, then that's his choice, but once he's had enough no one will pick up the slack from him (unless a Edmonton Voyageur strikes it rich)

Today the league's big draw was in town, and they drew less than 2700 people to see the Cosmos. That's a pretty tell tale sign that there isn't much interest in the Edmonton sports scene. 

There's more than one way to make money you know.  As long as every newcomer to the league has to pay a bag of pennies, the Fath brothers are fine. Also, they could sell players. Something that will happen probably sooner than later. And I guess the whole investment is tax-deductible anyway, as an investment in sports in Alberta. 

Cosmos are drawing sh#t too (btw they have a nice team though, even the defenders are very crafted ball-handlers), Strikers are drawing even worse than Edmonton. 

23 hours ago, shermanator said:

That's what you get when you don't have a serious marketing arm. Can't rely on newspaper stories (most young people don't even read them) and word of mouth at this level.

23 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Not really. Just not terrible crowds. Lots of tickets are given away or sold for almost nothing.

Define "lots" and can you provide a reputable link to back that statement?

Some but not all children (registered soccer players 14 years of age and younger and enrolled in the Fury fanatics program) can get in free.

Other than that (and that's by no means a large amount) there's been no indication that there are an abnormal amount of free tickets given away by the club. The Fury has done a good job its first 2 years attendance wise in the league and to diminish that with a statement without a reputable backing of facts is bs.

All pro sports teams give away free or comped tickets as well to some degree.

15 minutes ago, CDNFootballer said:

Define "lots" and can you provide a reputable link to back that statement?

Lots is an exaggeration. I have no link to back that. I'm also not talking about every game. Besides the Fury Fanatics program I didn't get a sense there were discounted or free tickets for the last home game  (4317). I did get the sense there were a fair amount for the home opener ( 7023). My point was that in terms of the tickets being sold at the usual retail price - and therefore estimating the revenue the Fury take in - and in terms of a "decent average crowds" for @shermanator - I'd look more at the figures for that 2nd game than for the first.

On 5/13/2016 at 11:42 AM, jordan said:

Ottawa received money when he moved. Amount undisclosed 

I bet they didn't make a profit like Jacksonville did!

12 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Lots is an exaggeration. I have no link to back that. I'm also not talking about every game. Besides the Fury Fanatics program I didn't get a sense there were discounted or free tickets for the last home game  (4317). I did get the sense there were a fair amount for the home opener ( 7023). My point was that in terms of the tickets being sold at the usual retail price - and therefore estimating the revenue the Fury take in - and in terms of a "decent average crowds" for @shermanator - I'd look more at the figures for that 2nd game than for the first.

I bet they didn't make a profit like Jacksonville did!

here's a link regarding how to obtain your free tickets http://www.furyfanatics.com/#body . Wednesday nights game will be a good indication of how it works, last years wednesday game probably had 1000 max at the game.

They probably made a 10th of what Jacksonville did on the transfer which sucks.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived