NASL 2016 season

mianjo

Lineup yesterday

Romuald Peiser; Fernando Timbo, Rafael Alves, Lance Rozeboom, Kyle Porter; Marcel De Jong, Julian de Guzman (James Bailey 76'), Mozzi Gyorio (Jonny Steele 61'); Paulo Junior, Gerardo Bruna, Dennis Chin (Idan Vered 61')

the 2 subs that did not play were goalie Macrae and Eustaquio, missing were goalie DeBellis, defenders Balchen and Obasi and forward Haworth.

. Ottawa has 22 players listed on their roster  but we have been told that 2 players  Dyego and Ventner have season ending knee injuries, so that leaves 20 players, on the broadcast yesterday they said Haworth  was injured, where DeBellis, Balchen and Obasi where i dont know. injured i assume.

11 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Was looking at highlights and there were some empty seats, so I figure they must have gave a lot away for club opener. Still, a good NASL crowd, where they want to be.

Big walk up crowd, bigger than expected in OKC. People were filing in throughout the first half with long ticket lines and they had a shot of cars backed up on the interstate turning into the stadium location so it didn't fill up till late in the first half. There's usually some no shows even in a sellout and most teams have freebies to some extent but there wasn't a lot for this game. Hope they can keep up attendance although I wouldn't expect 6400 every game but if they can draw 4K plus over the season that would be good, heck, many were saying 3K average would be good for the first year club.

Rayo%204%20web.jpg

Week 4

Miami FC  2 - 3  Rayo OKC   Att. 2,168
Fort Lauderdale Strikers  1 - 1  Jacksonville Armada FC    att. 1097
Tampa Bay Rowdies  1 - 3  Carolina RailHawks   att.  5,948
Minnesota United FC  1 - 0  New York Cosmos    att.  9,078'
Edmonton 2 Ottawa 0  Att. 1500

On 2016-04-24 at 7:07 PM, mianjo said:

Week 4

Miami FC  2 - 3  Rayo OKC   Att. 2,168
Fort Lauderdale Strikers  1 - 1  Jacksonville Armada FC    att. 1097
Tampa Bay Rowdies  1 - 3  Carolina RailHawks   att.  5,948
Minnesota United FC  1 - 0  New York Cosmos    att.  9,078'
Edmonton 2 Ottawa 0  Att. 1500

Bad luck weatherwise for Miami FC (1.5 hour lightning delay,match finally started 9:40pm Florida time) and FCE (near freezing temps).

Good showing for the beIN Sports game of the week in Tampa and the match in Minnesota.

Not sure whats happening with the Strikers, seems the weak market that is Miami has affected them more than the Miami FC. Two clubs in a market that has shown it doesnt support its sports teams may not work out in the long run.

Week 5

Ottawa 2  Miami FC  0                 Att. 7,023

Fort Lauderdale  Tampa  1    Att.  1,086

Rayo OKC   1   Indy Eleven   2  Att.  4,729

New York    1  Carolina   0    Att   2419

Definitely looks like having a Miami team enter the league was very bad news for Fort Lauderdale, but I suspect the NASL already views South Florida as a lost cause, if as seems increasingly likely, Beckham's MLS team gets its stadium deal finalized. The bigger concern for them has to be 2419 for the Cosmos, because announced numbers tend to be inflated and that's their flagship franchise that is supposed to make the NASL name resonate.

13 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Definitely looks like having a Miami team enter the league was very bad news for Fort Lauderdale, but I suspect the NASL already views South Florida as a lost cause, if as seems increasingly likely, Beckham's MLS team gets its stadium deal finalized. The bigger concern for them has to be 2419 for the Cosmos, because announced numbers tend to be inflated and that's their flagship franchise that is supposed to make the NASL name resonate.

2 clubs in the Miami area do seem to be having a negative effect on the Strikers.

New York Cosmos game yesterday had poor weather with rain and cold temps, the ones who were brave enough to show up had umbrellas and rain gear on. East coast weather has been poor this year so far with even the Yankees calling off a game recently on the same day Cosmos played.

Problem for Cosmos is also poor stadium location and the good news is they will likely be moving to another temp stadium next year while moving on with their new stadium plan in another area if Belmonts $400 million stadium isn't approved soon.

Saturday May 7 Matches :

Ottawa Fury FC vs. Minnesota United
2 p.m. ET | Saturday, May 7
TD Place | Ottawa, Ontario
Watch  NASL.com (National – Canada), Rogers TV (Local – Ottawa)

Jacksonville Armada FC vs. Rayo OKC
7 p.m. ET | Saturday, May 7
Community First Park | Jacksonville, Fla.
Watch  TV beIN SPORTS Canada), beIN SPORTS CONNECT (National – U.S., Canada)

Carolina RailHawks vs. Fort Lauderdale Strikers
7:30 p.m. ET | Saturday, May 7
WakeMed Soccer Park | Cary, N.C.
Watch  NASL.com (Local – Canada)

Indy Eleven vs. FC Edmonton
7:30 p.m. ET | Saturday, May 7
Carroll Stadium | Indianapolis, Ind.
Watch  NASL.com (National – Canada)

Miami FC vs. New York Cosmos
8 p,m. ET | Saturday, May 7
Ocean Bank Field | Miami, Fla.
Watch ONEWorldSports.com (National – U.S., Canada)

• 2 weeks later...

Week 7

Fort Lauderdale 0  Indy 0   Att 1,048

Carolina 0 Miami 0         Att. 7,107

Tampa 1 OKC 1  Att.  6,702

Minnesota 2  Jacksonville 0  Att.  8,861

Edmonton 2 New York 1   Att. 2,688

Bye Ottawa

IMO that's a legit number for people through the turnstile with FCEd. This compared to the 2015 game against the Cosmos... I feel like this was a legit number of people in the stands. I feel like the new GM showed that he's willing to go that extra mile to get people into the stands (including putting on a mascot uniform to get families in the gate at minor soccer games). I think the fall season will show more of what Jay can bring to the club. 

Week 8

Indy Eleven   4 - 2  Minnesota United FC  Att. 9,076

Rayo OKC    1 - 2  Fort Lauderdale Strikers  Att.  3,712

Ottawa Fury FC  1 - 0   Jacksonville Armada FC  Att. 5550

FC Edmonton  1 - 0   Carolina RailHawks    Att.  1,338

New York Cosmos   2 - 1  Tampa Bay Rowdies  Att. 6,243

These teams deserve higher attendance, there isn't a large enough gap between MLS and NASL to explain some teams getting below 3,000 fans.  The league overall really needs to step up the way it presents itself.  

NASL.com screams "minor league", that's just one part of the equation but overall the general public is clearly viewing the teams as such.  

3700 for Rayo OKC is crazy when you look at the roster they have, current internationals, a few guys who have played in World Cups and major leagues.  That could very easily be an MLS roster, they should be getting 7000 minimum.  I wonder if it is once again people not wanting to support a team that purports itself to be a feeder team i.e. Chivas USA, NYCFC. 

Hopefully when our league starts we do things right.  Like CHL hockey, affordable entertainment with a modern social media presence, individual original teams etc.  

Doesn't OKC have a basketball team in the NBA playoffs right now (Don't follow it, just going with what I've seen on Twitter). I think they'll get up there again with the fall season (wouldn't hurt if they could actually win a game at home).

Strikers apparently have massive sponsors from China and Brazil. So I'm not too worried about them folding. Sounds like they're moving stadiums between spring and fall which might help as well.

Archived