Sam Adekugbe
Kianz Froese
Russell Teibert

Jay Chapman

Jonathan Osorio

Maxim Tissot

Tesho Akindele

Cyle Larin

Good to see our boys getting some recognition. I'm sure quite a few will make the final 24.  If I missed anyone let me know.

Full list here

http://www.mlssoccer.com/24under24/2015

At first glance the list seems proportional ie. 8 out of 75 is about 10% - the same proportion as our population relative to that of the US. Then i looked at the list and many (half?) of the non-Canadians are foreigners. Obviously encouraging and a sign that we can develop players, but opens up alot of questions like why do Cdn MLS clubs only have to have 3 spots for Canadians? When will Canadians be treated like domestics (Garber has said the rule will be looked at when there are enough Cdns good enough to play in the league)? Why so few Americans when the system is geared towards their success?

In the final 24 I think we'll see: 

Russell Teibert

Jonathan Osorio

Tesho Akindele

Cyle Larin

For Whitecaps, with the most of the list of 75, we'll also see Laba, Manneh, Rivero and Techera. Incredible that Laba and Rivero are so young, bodes very well for their future.

That's just speculation.  Nobody knows who we will see.  Sorry - Couldn't resist!   :)

When will Canadians be treated like domestics (Garber has said the rule will be looked at when there are enough Cdns good enough to play in the league)?

Because MLS is an American league.  Canadians are not Americans, and therefore are not domestics. 

We can't forget that Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver are in MLS because MLS wants their money.  Not as some altruistic gift to Canadian soccer. 

Because MLS is an American league.  Canadians are not Americans, and therefore are not domestics. 

We can't forget that Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver are in MLS because MLS wants their money.  Not as some altruistic gift to Canadian soccer.

yes, yes and all that...but Garber has made statements that it is a non-issue because there aren't enough Canadians to make it one. Now if there are good prospects coming up at what point does it make it an issue? Or, what becomes the next excuse?

The MLS rules are simply poor CSA negotiation, lack of will and weak character on their part. It is obviously a biased and discriminatory rule that even your average American fan would agree is surprising and unnecessary. I am still amazed the CSA have not had the balls to put their foot down.

Agreed! It is shocking that successive CSA types have not made more of an issue here.  There could even be some exemption rule based upon the ratio of Canadian to American teams within the league. Since roughly 15% of the teams are based in Canada, then up to 15% of American team rosters could be Canadian players who do not need to occupy international spots.  Alternatively,  it could be mandated that each American team could have one Canadian player exemption, so conceivably, 17 Canadians could be signed by MLS in the US and not count as internationals.

Where there is a will, there is a way, and it behooves the CSA to get creative and insist on some sort of change.  The present roster rule is far too biased in favour of the US.

Archived