Tough year for the Whitecaps U-18.

Dub Narcotic

The new roster was announced today, only five players returned, no signings to USL or MLS, nor are there any rumours of anybody making the jump. A rare fallow year for the program, and I think a lot of players got tossed for disciplinary reasons halfway through the season. Luckily the U-16 group looks very promising.

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/post/2015/08/20/whitecaps-fc-announce-u-18-residency-roster-2015-16-season

Was just about to ask a similar question: who is the next Whitecaps residency player to sign with the MLS side? Haven't had any since the Froese/Carducci/Bustos group and then Ben McKendry from the college ranks.

Daniel Sagno and Kadin Chung are the only possibilities that I can see on the U-18 roster. Chung played LB for Canada at the U-17 level but is listed as a mid and forward now. 

I see some buzz building around Alphonso Davies and the U-16 team. Does anyone know anything more about these players?

Maybe this thread needs a little perspective.

The team this season (1996/97) as a whole had a better winning percentage than they had the year before in the USSDA regular season and were without 4 players that signed MLS and USL contracts for a good chunk of the season.

The graduating class out of the residency of '96's ('97's still have one more season) included Froese, Carducci, and Bustos that were signed to first team contracts at the end of last season and Haynes to a USL contract this year. Add in that Zanatta signed in Scotland adds to the depth of this group.

To say that this crop had a tough year is poorly worded and poorly researched.

Andre Baires will make the jump to the full team. He's got the character and the skills. A Manitoba kid from the same cloth as Marcos Bustos, grew up in the Latin Leagues of Winnipeg since he could walk. Although, he was always a midfielder seems he's done well in defense for the Caps

The new roster was announced today, only five players returned, no signings to USL or MLS, nor are there any rumours of anybody making the jump. A rare fallow year for the program, and I think a lot of players got tossed for disciplinary reasons halfway through the season. Luckily the U-16 group looks very promising.

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/post/2015/08/20/whitecaps-fc-announce-u-18-residency-roster-2015-16-season

What disciplinary issues? Can you elaborate?

Munir Saleh joined the u16 team last year and was a stud. Now he's back in league one Ontario. A bit strange.

Was just about to ask a similar question: who is the next Whitecaps residency player to sign with the MLS side? Haven't had any since the Froese/Carducci/Bustos group and then Ben McKendry from the college ranks.

Daniel Sagno and Kadin Chung are the only possibilities that I can see on the U-18 roster. Chung played LB for Canada at the U-17 level but is listed as a mid and forward now. 

I see some buzz building around Alphonso Davies and the U-16 team. Does anyone know anything more about these players?

There will be a lot more buzz building up around Alphonso. After his performance with the National U15's in Mexico and the first few weeks with the program, he's already been called up to the U18's and it looks like he will permanently be part of the U18 residency program. He trained with the first team today (very impressive for a 2000 born player).

There will be a lot more buzz building up around Alphonso. After his performance with the National U15's in Mexico and the first few weeks with the program, he's already been called up to the U18's and it looks like he will permanently be part of the U18 residency program. He trained with the first team today (very impressive for a 2000 born player).

Where you with Edmonton strikers or St Nicholas?

A kid I coached said he was playing a game earlier this summer and a bunch of kids he knows from Whitecaps u18 were there - all were cut. I didn't ask how many. Apparently at least one of them said they were cut due to injuries (concussion for at least 1 of the kids). Who knows.

There being dissent or behaviour problems with a group of teens would not surprise me. It happens from time to time. Heck, look at Man United's youth academy the last few years! Not so much group behaviour problems, but certainly some serious behaviour issues with some players.

Archived