So, what would you change?

Cheeta

Some of the Winnipeg Vs were having a bit of chat whilst we were crying into post-match cups there after the CR match and the topic of how to improve the FIFA game arose.  Couple of things came up but there has to be a telephone book of ideas out there on how to improve this game.  By changes direct or indirect. On the field and off.

I guess the greatest appeal of footie is that it is, on the face of it, such a straight forward simple sort of game.  Unmolested by the march through the decades it really is just the same game it was over a 100 year ago.  Some rule changes have crept in over time but by and large it is the same animal it was in the late 19th century.  It's evolved with technology and social advancements but at it's heart its the same damned game.  And as I wrote, by design or happy accident isn't that much of the appeal?  Somewhere, somehow, right out of the gate somebody just seems to have gotten it right.  But nobody's perfect.

You don't have to be too old to remember when there was only ever one game ball, and of course what that meant to the flow of a game which is meant to be flowing. 

You also don't have to be too old to remember when they first decided to bring in stretcher bearers to remove the carcassess of time-waisters from the TV screens of millions.

Or experiencing the impact of deciding that "level" with the last defender was now good enough to be on-side. Or more recently the idea of "passive offside".

All changes in rules or proceedings which have arguably improved the game to the modern eye and helped to create the moster which is football today.

So what would you change?  What would you use to improve the game?

• Policing throw-in's where the ball went out.
  • Post-match review and long suspensions for diving.
  • Where someone has gone down under suspicious circumstances and forced a stoppage in play, make them sit off five minutes to protect their health.
  • Card people who kick the ball away.
  • Card people who stand in front of a free kick.
  • Card people who walk off the field when subbed.
  • 7v7 full-field overtime.

• Policing throw-in's where the ball went out.
  • Post-match review and long suspensions for diving.
  • Where someone has gone down under suspicious circumstances and forced a stoppage in play, make them sit off five minutes to protect their health.
  • Card people who kick the ball away.
  • Card people who stand in front of a free kick.
  • Card people who walk off the field when subbed.
  • 7v7 full-field overtime.

All enforceable by the existing rules.  Agree referees and assistants need to enforce the rules as stated in Law 5.  I like your idea of the 7v7 for overtime or even 6v6.

First, the International Board mostly decides the rules, and it is half dominated by British FAs, out of respect for tradition. But it is not practical or fair to world football, the rule decisions should be taken by a more democratic process.

That said, I think we have advanced a lot. Watch an old game with back passes picked up by keepers and you see this.

-I would add a sub, 4 in total. so as to not lose time flow, allow a fourth sub but only 3 sub windows, two at a time. Something like that would energize games late and make for more interesting tactical options. It would also get more players more time on the pitch.

This has been proposed for extra time periods in knockout round matches, I fully agree with it. An extra or even two for that extra 30 minutes, again to reduce bunkering and defensive play because the team is tired and does not want to take risks.

-I would eliminate dumb reasons for carding. Let a player celebrate a goal in any way possible as long as it is not a provocation to fans or disrespectful. Taking your shirt off and waving it is a dumb reason to card a player. I feel the same about all sports, every time I watch a NFL-CFL touchdown I wish they'd spike the damn ball. Scoring is the peak moment of sports and celebrating should not be suppressed.

Just say to Vic, anyone more worried about time wasting or diving or exact spots of throw ins than intent to injure or play that impedes talent on the ball has got things backwards. I prefer occasional embellishment to keep off the boot tacklers and 3rd tier hacks than letting them have their way and bringing the level down to cave man quality. In my view, if you don't embellish and let yourself be fouled with a ref looking the other way, you are stupid. People who bitch about diving usually support teams who don-t have the ball, can't keep the ball, and don't have anyone who can dribble.

Okay, I support Barcelona, but I can say there has never been a team given more play ons after receiving a foul in the history of football. 4 out of five times we keep going even when fouled, even when on the ground, because we do not use free kicks as an attacking option as much as pace and possession. More during tiki taka years than now, we are more direct and better on set pieces, but still, I remember games under Guardiola with 8 or ten play ons after midfield or attacking third fouls.

In any case, it has been proven that many players called or carded for diving were in fact hit or hurt, and how many times have I heard fans deriding an opposing player for supposed time wasting and then he was out for 4 weeks with a ligament or pull. Refs don't call embellishment because even if it is not a clear foul, very often they see some contact, and rightly doubt. Football is played with the feet and the feet are also used to stand up, so falling with the ball on your feet is very common. Just watch kids learning they fall all the time, because no one can run with one leg. We take basic stability and add control touch to the function of what keeps us up. I am amazed fans don't understand this. Most of your suggestions are mall cop stuff, and I am not into mall cops.

I don't know about playing around with the off side rules too much.  Not a big fan of the passive off-side rule as it is now but I can live with it as is but would be happier with some adjustments ( a player can't be in a passive off side position in the penalty area, a player can't be in passive offside possition if he's within 10 yard of the ball, that sort of thing).

An additional sub seems to come up frequently but that just strengthens the stronger teams doesn't it?  Is that unfair?  No.  Is it good for competition and entertainment?  That's open to debate.  What's the harm, however, in allowing unlimited goalkeeper substitutions?  Or a "free" keeper substitutions?  I bet you'd see the odd forward come on the pitch late in a match wearing gloves during a cup test.  Now THAT would be fun.

Awarding a red card the same time as a penalty is given seems like double jepordy to me.  Violent conduct sure, every time, but as the last defender(keeper)?  That's just capitol punishment.  Not proportionate at all and a match killer.  

Off Field.

The clock.  Why can't the 4th official control the clock, like grid-iron football?  Do away with this 90 minutes plus all that mysterious added time nonsense.  Player goes down injured, ref blows his whistle, 4th official stops the clock until time is blown back in.  Goal is scored, 4th official stops the clock until time is blown back in.  Play is halted for substitutions 4th offical stops the clock until time is blown back in.  

Don't need to go crazy with it but any time the ball can't be in play for whatever reason stop the clock.  At 90 minutes it's all done.  Better haul ass if you want to get that final corner in!

Players will still time waiste, try to slow the match down, but they can still be punished for it as the ref sees fit.  Maybe don't make it end at 90.  Allow the ref the final say but under that sort of system you sure wouldn't see more than a minute or two at most tacked on and you'll know you've got a real 90 minutes of play from the contest.

But my favourate;

Both teams stay in the same hotel the night before any competitive FIFA fixture.  Better still if not on the same floor than directly above/below each other.  I really like that idea.  Not checked in?  Than you're not eligible for the day game roster.  I know its almost a tradition in certain CONCACRAP countries to buzz the visiting team all night and sure as Hell it looks like it could be a lot of fun but it's a dirty trick and just plain rude no matter what your cultural back ground. 

Archived