USA vs Belgium

madmonte

70th minute, 4-1 for Belgium. Watching the live stream. Man...sad part is USA looks 100 times better than Canada did. Belgium is just that good...very world class squad I was surprised! As much as CONCACAF teams seem to be improving...UEFA teams that are middle of the road to higher level are getting better and better as well. If USA gets to 2014, they may struggle there. I don't see them as that much better than Costa Rica or Honduras this time around.

70th minute, 4-1 for Belgium. Watching the live stream. Man...sad part is USA looks 100 times better than Canada did. Belgium is just that good...very world class squad I was surprised! As much as CONCACAF teams seem to be improving...UEFA teams that are middle of the road to higher level are getting better and better as well. If USA gets to 2014, they may struggle there. I don't see them as that much better than Costa Rica or Honduras this time around.

Well, Belgium right now is top ten in the world. I would rate them higher than the Netherlands and on par with Portugal so this doesn't say too much in all honesty. If Portugal were hammering USA 4-1, would you be surprised?

Well, Belgium right now is top ten in the world. I would rate them higher than the Netherlands and on par with Portugal so this doesn't say too much in all honesty. If Portugal were hammering USA 4-1, would you be surprised?

You missed my point then. My point being that Belgium isn't the only UEFA nation on the rise. Ukraine, Denmark, Croatia have all snuck in from middle of the road to almost traditional soccer power status. Belgium, Switzerland and Norway, all incredibly strong most years now. And hell, now we have Montenegro and Bosnia-Herzegovina of all countries wielding impressive sides?

This while USA does not seem to have improved and is wielding the same old same old. Getting to the round of 16 was almost fluky for them in 2010. This time I think they'll be lucky not to get crushed. The teams that were FORMER middle of the road are now becoming powers. The UEFA teams ranked 10-30 deserve it and are amazing teams. Class teams that deserve their ranking. That was my point.

You missed my point then. My point being that Belgium isn't the only UEFA nation on the rise. Ukraine, Denmark, Croatia have all snuck in from middle of the road to almost traditional soccer power status. Belgium, Switzerland and Norway, all incredibly strong most years now. And hell, now we have Montenegro and Bosnia-Herzegovina of all countries wielding impressive sides?..

Its going to be Just like the Eurovision song contest, but with balls...Oh hum

This while USA does not seem to have improved and is wielding the same old same old. Getting to the round of 16 was almost fluky for them in 2010. This time I think they'll be lucky not to get crushed. The teams that were FORMER middle of the road are now becoming powers. The UEFA teams ranked 10-30 deserve it and are amazing teams. Class teams that deserve their ranking. That was my point.

I have to J'acuse the USSF and the MLS, as the restrictive practices do not engender development of players at the highest level.

to be aspirational in the world cup, which would be regular quarter finalist IMO, you need to have at least two recognizable world names. Playing in the highest level of World club soccer. That is without question UCL. Some could argue that UCL is actually above world cup for Quality, but that's another issue.

I don't see UCL teams beating a path to the MLS door in order to sign up their talent. A few bodies at Fulham and Stoke etc. don't cut the mustard, just ask Mr Klinsman. The Problem is this. MLS is there to serve the needs of MLS not US soccer The US college system also turns nothing much more thatn Journeyman pro's who are too old to develop into world class players.

Think about it this way; Landon Donovan, playing second fiddle to an aging outside half who could hit a decent cross/freekick and made his reputation in a 2-2 draw with Greece.

Still, why should I care about the US when I have the tactically inept English to crow about.

You missed my point then. My point being that Belgium isn't the only UEFA nation on the rise. Ukraine, Denmark, Croatia have all snuck in from middle of the road to almost traditional soccer power status. Belgium, Switzerland and Norway, all incredibly strong most years now. And hell, now we have Montenegro and Bosnia-Herzegovina of all countries wielding impressive sides?

This is true. I had a feeling this is what you were trying to say. Alberta White is correct in his analysis. The NCAA just isn't a good way to develop world class talent. The kids are far too old by the time they get to MLS. What MLS needs is poor American and Canadian inner city kids playing soccer non-stop after school in small playing surfaces like they do in South America. However, that's not going to happen so MLS needs its clubs to develop that environment artificially like the Dutch.

This is true. I had a feeling this is what you were trying to say. Alberta White is correct in his analysis. The NCAA just isn't a good way to develop world class talent. The kids are far too old by the time they get to MLS. What MLS needs is poor American and Canadian inner city kids playing soccer non-stop after school in small playing surfaces like they do in South America. However, that's not going to happen so MLS needs its clubs to develop that environment artificially like the Dutch.

I agree with that. How many of the best players in the world, by age 21, were already playing at top level since they were 18? We are commonly using words like they still have loads of potential for guys that are 23. By the standards worldwide, if they haven't shown they are a top level player by THEN, they aren't going to. Meanwhile, kids in NCAA are just getting out of their schools at 20-22 and going to play abroad, and the problem is, they are way behind the kids that have already been playing professionally for 3 years!

Daniel Haber, who is a new player and fresh by our standards, goes to Europe, and the clubs there are all saying 'Hey, it's a risk. He's too old for his level of professional experience'. And they sign players based on that! An 18 year old at the same talent level is MUCH more likely to get a contract in Europe than a 21 year old, their value is so much higher. So adding Europe into the conversation...yeah NCAA is still not the way to go.

This is why academy is going to be so important for MLS clubs. Training kids in their very early teens in professional (soccer first) environment is going to be key for us to develop world class players. NCAA is garbage and I can't believe people get excited over 22-24 year old "rookies" instead of 18 year old kids from academy playing for the first team.

This is why academy is going to be so important for MLS clubs. Training kids in their very early teens in professional (soccer first) environment is going to be key for us to develop world class players. NCAA is garbage and I can't believe people get excited over 22-24 year old "rookies" instead of 18 year old kids from academy playing for the first team.

I agree. However, there are so many little things the TFC academy could do to improve things dramatically. For one, they can build small, artificial soccer pitches throughout the GTA to encourage kids to play three one three. TFC should organize their own regional development league. These things would cost money but it would pay off in the end talent wise and they would be recognized through their philanthropic work.

As much as CONCACAF teams seem to be improving...UEFA teams that are middle of the road to higher level are getting better and better as well. .

I think a country to look out for 5, 10 years down the line is Ukraine, who have been recently good at the youth level.

Alberta White will agree with this. I think I understand why Sepp Blatter criticized the USA for not having a strong domestic league. Before, I just disregarded anything he said considering it's Sepp Blatter, but he's correct in criticizing MLS even though his exact reasons are wrong (calendar, etc.). The USA can't expect to develop world class talent with a league like MLS. You're talking about a country that has four professional leagues in the world that are by far the best at their respective sports. Kids are mesmerized when they watch the World Series, NBA playoffs, NHL playoffs and the Super Bowl. They realize how those things are larger than life and they dream about one day taking part in it when they grow older. MLS doesn't provide that.

Looking back at Ukraine, the country is going to start producing a lot more high quality players. A lot of that can be attributed to the recent Champions League success of Shakhtar. Kids seeing a club from Ukraine playing high quality football, packing a 50,000 plus modern stadium, and beating the likes of Chelsea and Arsenal in the Champions League are going to get mesmerized by what they see and want to become soccer players. More kids in the street will play the sport and a lot of them will develop into what it takes to become world class players.

And they beat the same germany who gave it to one of the top teams in the world ecuador. I really wouldn't take friendlies like Germany/Belgium seriously TBH. We'll see how they play out in the WCQ before I judge them.

And they beat the same germany who gave it to one of the top teams in the world ecuador. I really wouldn't take friendlies like Germany/Belgium seriously TBH. We'll see how they play out in the WCQ before I judge them.

True, but Germany didn't look they were trying that hard in the game until the end (that's when they put USA on their heel), but it was a good game from the Yanks and great result for them (it will heal their wounds after Belgium).

I think a country to look out for 5, 10 years down the line is Ukraine, who have been recently good at the youth level.

Alberta White will agree with this. I think I understand why Sepp Blatter criticized the USA for not having a strong domestic league. Before, I just disregarded anything he said considering it's Sepp Blatter, but he's correct in criticizing MLS even though his exact reasons are wrong (calendar, etc.). The USA can't expect to develop world class talent with a league like MLS. You're talking about a country that has four professional leagues in the world that are by far the best at their respective sports. Kids are mesmerized when they watch the World Series, NBA playoffs, NHL playoffs and the Super Bowl. They realize how those things are larger than life and they dream about one day taking part in it when they grow older. MLS doesn't provide that.

Looking back at Ukraine, the country is going to start producing a lot more high quality players. A lot of that can be attributed to the recent Champions League success of Shakhtar. Kids seeing a club from Ukraine playing high quality football, packing a 50,000 plus modern stadium, and beating the likes of Chelsea and Arsenal in the Champions League are going to get mesmerized by what they see and want to become soccer players. More kids in the street will play the sport and a lot of them will develop into what it takes to become world class players.

Shakhtar are interesting. Pumping a load of cash into a club, but trying to do it wisely unlike say Man city, who effectively sat back on their heels and bought no-one and thus didn't push on in Europe. That been said, It did give the owners of city and excuse to Bump the manager who apparently didn't get on that well with the top brass.

Germany did NOT look sharp at all that game, I've never seen Germany play so poorly. At times, same could be said for USA. Having watched both games, honestly and oddly, USA looked a better team when they played against Belgium in many ways! It's just that Belgium was playing it's best. Germany definitely was not.

True, but Germany didn't look they were trying that hard in the game until the end (that's when they put USA on their heel), but it was a good game from the Yanks and great result for them (it will heal their wounds after Belgium).

Their really shouldn't be a wounds to heal if the game was only a friendly and germany didn't change their efforts or "try harder" it just became more noticeable after the americans made a dozen subs to experiment with.

Seriously can't get into friendlies where the whole team changes at halftime. Just seems a pointless exercise they may as well conduct on a training field. 50% runabout where the only sense of threat comes from a half measured tackle which results in injury.

Teams only have 6 subs in friendlies. So it's not like the whole team changes at halftime.

Teams only have 6 subs in friendlies. So it's not like the whole team changes at halftime.

SIX! SIX!.. WHAT IS THIS? ...HOCKEY?!

For the flow of a football match (getting a bit 'shirty' now) to remain competitive switching out 12 players effectively turns it into another game. all continuity and flow is lost.

Nope! Pointless waste of time if you ask me.

I mean, If these games are so enthralling how come Oxlade-Chamberlin's dad was so impressed watching England-Brazil that he fell asleep and missed his sons goal?

A fixture he played in that fixture 20years ago when you couldn't sub 12 players into the game.

Personally I'd go back to the 50's

No Subs,

Barbed wire behind the Goals,

Patrol dogs on the Halfway line and

Machine gun nest level with the 18yard box.

Ah... God bless the British Public schools system.

Archived