A Good Day Today

mrstepp817

Seems like a very efficient performance by Canada in the win over T&T.....Panama looks tough, but I think they are beatable...so I'm happy about that

In other CONCACAF news I'm stunned that the USA with a lot of youngsters went into Azteca and beat Mexico...stunning result there...

Seems like a very efficient performance by Canada in the win over T&T.....Panama looks tough, but I think they are beatable...so I'm happy about that

In other CONCACAF news I'm stunned that the USA with a lot of youngsters went into Azteca and beat Mexico...stunning result there...

Saw the USA game - must have been against the run of play, because Mexico had most of the ball and had USA pinned back for large chunks of the match.

But good for them - bury one chance and away you go.

Mexico had all the possession, but they were a little sloppy in general and Howard made a couple of amazing saves. Yup, then throw in a garbage goal and you get a win; that's soccer sometimes. In fact, I'm more surprised that the U.S. had still not beaten Mexico in Mexico (with a game just like this one) until now.

Considering how much Mexico (of any nation) has improved leaps and bounds, ANY team winning over them right now can be considered, at the very least, a moral victory. If I was Spain, I'd be happy with a result over Mexico, honestly.

That said, it should be noted that Mexico actually did dominate the play, Tim Howard had an outstanding game in net. Frankly they shouldn't get TOO excited. This really SHOULD have been 3-1 Mexico.

Seemed like both Canada and the US tinkered some with the lineups and let some young guys get experience, which is valuable in developing depth in the program. Canada has too be encouraged that they came out and took care of business, which is something that couldn't have been said a few years ago...I'm hoping for a big pro-Canada crowd on Sept. 7...

Considering how much Mexico (of any nation) has improved leaps and bounds, ANY team winning over them right now can be considered, at the very least, a moral victory. If I was Spain, I'd be happy with a result over Mexico, honestly.

That said, it should be noted that Mexico actually did dominate the play, Tim Howard had an outstanding game in net. Frankly they shouldn't get TOO excited. This really SHOULD have been 3-1 Mexico.

I don't really go by it should of been or ifs since it's not really a part that should be considered it's what you do with the opportunities. Didn't the U.S have nearly the exact same shots on goal? The only goal for mexico that really could've been a goal IF the goalkeeeper wasn't tim howard was the header by cheech. Other then that I guess the lucky deflection could've been one as well. But the U.S had a lot close chances for more goals as well like the floater by beckerman or the really early attempt at an early OPEN goal by a lucky pass to gomez who should have finished it and made it 1-0 at 6 minutes in the game for the U.S. But all of those are irrelevant to the real score. The U.S always play mexico bunker/counter against mexico.

Mexico has always been good, this isn't a sudden uprising and I don't believe they're pulling away from the rest of CONCACAF as has been suggested. Sure they're improving but who isn't? They beat us 8-0 in Mexico in 1993... they won the Confederations Cup in 1999 over Brazil. Now they have a few youth championships to add to the cabinet. I'd say that the United States continues to close the gap, mostly due to the growth of MLS. All of CONCACAF is growing... the two teams that Brazil had trouble with in the Olympics were the only two teams our region sent, Mexico is clearly improving but they aren't pulling away as everyone else is as well.

I do think Mexico is a little ahead of the rest of CONCACAF personally, right now, including the US. And although they were close in shots , on goal, in shots not on goal...Mexico 19, US 7. In terms of possession, Mexico led 66% to 34%, which as you footie fans know is staggering, and usually very telling.

But enough of stats. What I'm saying is I DO think this was an upset, that the US won. I think if this was a 7 game series, that Mexico would finish it 4-2 or 4-1 based on what I saw of the play. Call it an opinion, but you can quote me that I think Mexico is a serious contender for WINNING the world cup in 2014.

I do think Mexico is a little ahead of the rest of CONCACAF personally, right now, including the US. And although they were close in shots , on goal, in shots not on goal...Mexico 19, US 7. In terms of possession, Mexico led 66% to 34%, which as you footie fans know is staggering, and usually very telling.

But enough of stats. What I'm saying is I DO think this was an upset, that the US won. I think if this was a 7 game series, that Mexico would finish it 4-2 or 4-1 based on what I saw of the play. Call it an opinion, but you can quote me that I think Mexico is a serious contender for WINNING the world cup in 2014.

Agree 100% Mexico to me is a top 5 team in the world at the moment....I think they are a threat to win it and I think if the US can continue to improve they could have a showing where they make the final 8 possibly...

Now to Canada..this series against Panama is very crucial esp considering Honduras gets Cuba...a win at BMO will be huge and I think takes the pressure off Canada going to Panama..but a draw or heaven forbid a loss really makes things tough going down there on the 11th..

Go Canada, Go USA and right now Go Cuba! LOL

We have to assume honduras will get 6 points against cuba so if we can manage 4 points in the next 2 games we should be fine tie away and win at home although im starting to worry about those away games in honduras and panama being deciding factor .

We have to assume honduras will get 6 points against cuba so if we can manage 4 points in the next 2 games we should be fine tie away and win at home although im starting to worry about those away games in honduras and panama being deciding factor .

I have to say once again, I don't think that's a reasonable assumption. Honduras don't have a strong long-ball game, and with the Cuban mid-day heat limiting running, and the pitch limiting the Hondurans' heavily favoured method of passing the ball on the ground, Cuba really do have the opportunity to draw or even win against Honduras at home. I would be willing to say that this is even more true of Panama, whose game is much more technical than Honduras' at the moment.

Regardless of whether it happens or not, we need to assume that Honduras and Panama are going to get full points against Cuba. That way we don't take it easy and assume we don't have to win. Wins at home to Panama and Cuba are crucial, a draw in Panama would push us to at least 11 points and assured qualification.

Mexico has always been good, this isn't a sudden uprising and I don't believe they're pulling away from the rest of CONCACAF as has been suggested. Sure they're improving but who isn't? They beat us 8-0 in Mexico in 1993... they won the Confederations Cup in 1999 over Brazil. Now they have a few youth championships to add to the cabinet. I'd say that the United States continues to close the gap, mostly due to the growth of MLS. All of CONCACAF is growing... the two teams that Brazil had trouble with in the Olympics were the only two teams our region sent, Mexico is clearly improving but they aren't pulling away as everyone else is as well.

Let's just say also that CONCACAF is catching up to the world. Let's pretend that Mexico (and just using an arbitrary number, no need to overanalyze this), was rated 7/10 in 1995 worldwide. Let's say US was 7/10 as well. And let's say, on average, other CONCACAF teams that were close, like Costa Rica, T&T at the time...that they were 5/10.

Let's say now that US stays at 7/10, Mexico is now at 8/10, and the rest of CONCACAF contenders are 6/10. US is still a strong team, Mexico is now contending even better against top nations worldwide, and the other CONCACAF teams aren't seen as much as minnows, as is evidenced by the results of international friendlies against CONMEBOL teams recently (not just the last date, but dates over the last year, by the way).

Remember, we aren't forever trying to compare CONCACAF teams to each other, but we eventually want these teams to gain respect in FIFA. And I think Mexico being strong, and other teams around Mexico improving BECAUSE of that strength is important. So yeah, at times I cheer for Mexico. Just not when the play Canada.

I respect Mexico and their ability, hard for me to cheer for them though. I think its mainly their fans that get under my skin, but apparently their players esp in the past have been known for some of their antics against the US..will cheer for anyone else in CONCACAF when playing a non-CONCACAF team though...

Archived