August 15 FIFA date - how about Moncton?

Jason

I think it will be really important for Canada to play on this date. I know a lot of players will be back in Europe by this point and the MLS season will be in full swing. But I was thinking that this might be a good time to try out Moncton for a MNT friendly. The European players can connect from London to Halifax direct and there are flights from Newark right into Moncton, so it's not as hard to get to as I originally thought. It's probably no more travel than going to Toronto from Europe. The weather will be good, and what better time to experiment with this location for future games? I see that a lot of teams have already committed to games but I'm sure there is someone out there we can find to play against.

Jason

Ya I agree we need to use every option available to play friendlies and keep this group moving in the right direction. Besides we should have more visibility within Canada and probably have a decent chance of selling enough tickets to cover the game, if we can't pull it off at least lets have an away friendly.

I don't know for sure but I've heard from other V's the cost is about $1MIL depending on who Canada is playing.

ok that is definitely not close to the true amount. Most of the nations that Canada can play, that are within it's range we Do NOT Have to Pay to Play with them. Only accomodations, venue plus travel expenses and insurrance. I think we can say around 250k.

- Accomodations say 40rooms(20rooms per team @ 2per room) @ 200$ a nite for 3nts that's 24k

- Venue just poked around BC Place website and for Under 30thousands Spectators the Venue, with paramedics, Vancouver Traffic Authority, VPD, etc. would be around 60-80k

- Travel Expenses for say 80ppl @ 1500$ per person would cover the costs for sure. that's 120k.......

- Insurance should be within 25k I would say so.........

.............250k would cover it IMO.........and other venues might be cheaper than in Vancouver........Montreal should be cheaper I think...........

ok that is definitely not close to the true amount. Most of the nations that Canada can play, that are within it's range we Do NOT Have to Pay to Play with them. Only accomodations, venue plus travel expenses and insurrance. I think we can say around 250k.

- Accomodations say 40rooms(20rooms per team @ 2per room) @ 200$ a nite for 3nts that's 24k

- Venue just poked around BC Place website and for Under 30thousands Spectators the Venue, with paramedics, Vancouver Traffic Authority, VPD, etc. would be around 60-80k

- Travel Expenses for say 80ppl @ 1500$ per person would cover the costs for sure. that's 120k.......

.............250k would cover it IMO.........

I think you're right about how much the bare bones cost to actually play the game but there has to be other expenses as well. Not only that wouldn't a decent opposition like Ecuador or Venezuela command a fee?

I've checked the FIFA dates and come up with ten friendlies that I think would make sense. These teams aren't playing and would make good opponents for Canada in preparation for Panama. Ideally this would be a home date and Moncton wouldn't be a bad idea. Neither would Saputo which would be open for business in Montreal. I wouldn't argue against Toronto as a Toronto native, but I would like to see some games played in other places to build support. Grass only though.

Bolivia - Might be willing to travel here similar to Ecuador & Peru

Colombia - same as Bolivia

T&T - A very competitive CONCACAF team who is right around our ranking

South Korea - maybe a bit of a stretch, but a great team that moves the ball well

New Zealand - Assuming they win OFC this could be a potential future match up

El Salvador - Could be a good test before a very similar opponent

Guatemala - Same as above

Tunisia - We were tentatively scheduled to play them in February and it would still make sense

Haiti - A team that showed relatively well in the last round of qualifying

North Korea - unlikely, but at least we could guarantee a pro-Canada crowd!

Any thoughts?

I think you're right about how much the bare bones cost to actually play the game but there has to be other expenses as well. Not only that wouldn't a decent opposition like Ecuador or Venezuela command a fee?

I rmbr that Jamaica once asked something like 200k EUROS + from Poland about 4yrs ago for a friendly. Poland laughed at it. Canada shouldn't pay and IF it should be minimal symbolic. Let's not forget there is Brasil A and Brasil D teams for example. I was in Japan with my family when the JFA paid 1million USD to Argentina just to see Messi on the field for example.

Canada used to play a lot abroad before also because the home team paid all expenses. But I am pretty sure Austria, Slovakia, some African nations won't want a huge fee.

Biggest cost would be promotion. Anything descent would cost 100 000$ at Least.

Let say 500 000$ and that should be enought for 1game.

Guys if I win the lottery(in excess of 10millions) I will pay the CSA to play a Qualifier in GANDER, Nflnd. I swear.

.............250k would cover it IMO.........and other venues might be cheaper than in Vancouver........Montreal should be cheaper I think...........

These estimates seem somewhat reasonable but we would need to add in a few things like marketing for example. I think this sounds a bit more reasonable than $1 million. Look at it this way, if it really cost $1 million, that would mean that you would have to sell out BMO at an average ticket price of around $50 just to break even. If this was really the cost of hosting a friendly, there would be a lot less of them around the world each FIFA date. Sure big teams would need appearance fees, but I think that those are in the minority.

Jason

These estimates seem somewhat reasonable but we would need to add in a few things like marketing for example. I think this sounds a bit more reasonable than $1 million. Look at it this way, if it really cost $1 million, that would mean that you would have to sell out BMO at an average ticket price of around $50 just to break even. If this was really the cost of hosting a friendly, there would be a lot less of them around the world each FIFA date. Sure big teams would need appearance fees, but I think that those are in the minority.

Jason

I agree that the number is closer to orletafc's number than $1MIL but the CSA would make money not only off ticket sales but also TV rights and ad sales. So we can say that the actual cost to host a game is approximately $500 000 for arguments sake, ticket revenue at about $25 per would be $250 000-$300 000 and in stadium advertising would probably be about $25 000-$50 000 (a guess). Does anyone have any idea what the CSA could sell the broadcast rights for?

I agree that the number is closer to orletafc's number than $1MIL but the CSA would make money not only off ticket sales but also TV rights and ad sales. So we can say that the actual cost to host a game is approximately $500 000 for arguments sake, ticket revenue at about $25 per would be $250 000-$300 000 and in stadium advertising would probably be about $25 000-$50 000 (a guess). Does anyone have any idea what the CSA could sell the broadcast rights for?

You make a good point about the ad sales and TV rights, but I would suggest that both of those would amount to relatively small number compared to ticket sales. I know that the CSA has a broadcast deal with Sportsnet, and I don't know how it works, but I doubt adding in a friendly would result in a big payout by Sportsnet beyond what they already pay for rights within the deal. As far as sponsors, I would think it's similar - Amway for example probably have signed longer term deals with the CSA stating that they will get signage at any games hosted in Canada over the life of their sponsorship deal. It would not make sense to go to Amway for example and say, "Thanks for being a great corporate sponsor and we already have a deal in place with you for sponsorship, but we're holding another friendly and if you want your signs up, write us another cheque." So all of the money you would generate for ads at a friendly would be either new sponsorship deals, or one time only ad signs, which may amount to a few bucks but minute compared to ticket sales.

Jason

Archived