Canada vs. USA June 3 Pre-game Thread

Saviola7

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couldn't agree with the following paragraph more. Synergy is not in the CMNT vocabulary. God I hope I eat my words - JM

Armchair Analyst: Now or never for Canadian generation

US fans who think they have it tough should look north for a bit. It’s not easy being a Canadian soccer supporter.

The most brutal part about it, though, is that this generation’s team has consistently been so much less than the sum of its parts. Dwayne De Rosario is one of the five best players in MLS history; Atiba Hutchinson was the best midfielder in Denmark for five years, and is now a starter for PSV Eindhoven; Julian de Guzman is a quality tempo-setter who was the best player at the 2007 Gold Cup; Olivier Occean led the 2.Bundesliga in scoring this season, and led his side to promotion in the process.

The list goes on. Simeon Jackson is a super-sub goal scorer for Norwich City in the English Premier League; Kevin McKenna has more than a decade of experience in Germany’s top two leagues at central defense; Michael Klukowski has played north of 200 games for quality teams in Belgium and Turkey; Will Johnson, Iain Hume, Ante Jazic, Dejan Jakovic, Andre Hainault ... all of these are quality players. All have been around the Canadian team for years.

This is, on paper, the third-best team in CONCACAF. And there’s precious little to show for it.

Hirschfeld; Jazic, Hainault, McKenna, Edgar; Johnson, DeGuzman, Ledgerwood; DeRosario, Occean, Ricketts

Not real keen on that lineup, hard to imagine one of Jackson, Hume, and Issy couldn't push out Ledgerwood. I know it would take some shuffling of positions but still.

Oh well, all the best boys.

1) We have a great pro Canada crowd tonight. The guys get excited for a change to having a crowd roar for them! This gives them a boost!

2) They play a top regional team and do well, giving them further confidence that they can play at the Hex level, that they deserve to get through this group.

3) They carry that into Cuba, where more V's greet them there with a very respectable away showing of support considering our region and the huge travel.

4) Then, should all go to plan and our 12K+ Canadians tonight show back up for Honduras on the 12th (to outnumber the large group of Hondurans that will show up), we'll be set for a cracker of what is probably our most important group match.

I think I nailed points 1 and 2 tonight.

Archived