Canada vs. USA June 3 Pre-game Thread

Saviola7

Figured I'd start this 'cause I have no better place to ask the following:

Does anyone know whether/when the boys will be training at the Nottawasaga Inn? If so, will the sessions be open to the public/media? Last summer I took my son by to watch the training and it was lots of fun.

Also, I'm not usually one to complain about the CSA, but it is really frustrating that when looking for upcoming MNT fixtures it wasn't obvious where to find them from canadasoccer.com. I know their website had a meltdown, but they could at least remove the Upcoming Matches/Full schedule link or redirect it to their "See thee rise" page.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know nothing about Nottawasaga Inn...but does that mean you went to Florida to watch the camp? Good for you :)

If I'm not mistaken the one they train at in Florida is a Holiday Inn. What's funnier, that the national team of a country as rich as ours stays at a Holiday Inn, or just the fact that I know that?

I know nothing about Nottawasaga Inn...but does that mean you went to Florida to watch the camp? Good for you :)

It has some nice facilities but is a pretty average hotel. They've taken lots of bad feedback and are actually renovating the joint to a much more modern look. They were under construction when I was last there in April, but should be more decent by the time the boys get there.

Depending on the dates I may have to make a visit.

GL for the game...and remember the result is not the most important since the game is a friendly match! the most important is to be prepared for the game against cuba ! i belive stephen hart should test new players! i still hope you win GL :)

btw could someone please tell me the hours of the cuba-canda match?

The Americans area very very good team. A 5-1 win over Scotland, a 1-0 win in Italy. This is a better team than the one we lost 2-0 to at the Gold Cup last summer. I think it is important we don't get our hopes down in the case of a big loss or a poor performance.

Friendly result from last night: USA 5 Scotland 1. Keep the expectations for next Sunday realistic folks.

I guess you don't remember Olympic Qualifying :) Anything is possible. You just have to thinking positive.

If the USA reverts back to its garbage squad and plays the big lazy elephant Altidore and Titus Bramble Onyewu then Canada has a good shot at winning.

Just to confirm: are there going to be scarf sales at the game? I'm bringing a few people who want to buy them.

I imagine there will be Umbro scarves for sale at the game, or you can buy them from the CSA site. Normally Razcle (?) has V's scarves for sale at Maro before the game.

USA apparently employing a high press and quick counter style. We better be on our toes.

http://www.bigsoccer.com/soccer/totalsoccershow/2012/05/29/five-things-we-learned-from-usa-5-scotland-1/

And, as promised, here are five things we learned from watching the game:

1. High pressing and fast passing works. See the US’s first goal for evidence. We win possession deep in Scotland’s half because Torres and Boyd are doubleteaming a fullback, then a few quick passes later and Donovan has the ball in the net. We’re acting not reacting; the Klinsmann style has arrived.

USA apparently employing a high press and quick counter style. We better be on our toes.

http://www.bigsoccer.com/soccer/totalsoccershow/2012/05/29/five-things-we-learned-from-usa-5-scotland-1/

That doesn't bode well for the patient way Hart likes the attack built. Hopefully we can pick apart the high pressure with some quick passing between defenders and midfielders. Like breaking a press in basketball

Playing against a team that pressures high up the field will be a good test of endurance though, because if we are prepared for the pressing of the States, I'm sure we'll be okay against the high pressure of Cuba and Honduras who are much less aggressive high up the pitch.

It might be a long night if US brings the intensity they have against Brazil tonight. Offensively, the Yanks looked very good, with Gomez being very lively. Fabian Johnson from LB is going to be a handful for whoever Hart is going to play at RB. I hope it's Hainault. The Yanks were taking it to Brazil for a bit, and created chances off of set pieces.

The Yanks are vulnerable on counters as Brazil ripped them apart off of turnovers.

Honestly, I'd be shocked if Canada can get a win

Thoughts about recent US matches tell me:

-They are a decent side and should be a tough go on Sunday and will be hard to get points from in the Hex. If the US don't "want it" like they did tonight, we could catch them for some goals if we execute.

-They really wanted it tonight where as Brazil just played a friendly and showed their elite status when they wanted to.

-Scotland is as terrible as my Scottish mate tells me they are, not to discredit the US skill, but they are piss.

-Brazil is going to win the World Cup no doubt.

I'd love to see Canada actually use high pressure. Instead we will sit back and have one isolated forward up front and make a lot of square and back passes when we get possession which will result in turnovers like every time we play against good opposition.

Guest Brethers

This game may force us to change our style a bit, which could give us a breakthrough moment where Hart realises the quality of the players allows us to play a bit more penetratively. Alternatively we may end up lumping the ball forward hoping something sticks up there...

Archived