TFC vs LA Galaxy - Wednesday April 13th

killgod

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree, I find them annoyingly distracting. At least at Rogers Arena they are not at ice level from what I can remember from the one NHL and one lacrosse game I attended there.

You would be right, they are located between the balcony steats and the lower bowl, in ALL stadiums across North America, except the MLS.

If they must have advertisments there they should stationary billboards, like behind the nets.

Think part of the rationale on that was what happens when JDG is called up for CMNT games and if his return from injury hits a snag. A lot depends how much money Bouchiba is on, in my opinion. Initially I thought it would probably be a lot based on him having played in Qatar but the club he was with there was one of the weaker ones and got relegated recently so if he is on Martin Saric type money that may still turn out to be a positive acquistion.

And apparently the money Saric was paid was too much even for him. I wonder what league he's playing in now?

From what I've seen elsewhere he stayed in Toronto and was angling for a return to TFC after Mariner and Winter were appointed but doesn't seem to have been able to secure a contract after training with the team for a bit a few weeks back.

I thought his next stop would be Down Under in the A-League.

Personally think you get used to those ads being there over time and eventually can tune them out. I suspect MLSE like having them because it adds a Champions League sort of feel to broadcasts of the game. Bit like having a play by play announcer with an English accent rather than somebody like Gerry Dobson or Vic Rauter, basically.

Oddly enough, the (UEFA) Champions League doesn't use digital ad boards.

And Luke Wileman is miles ahead of either Dobson or Rauter as a PBP man, regardless of nationality.

And Luke Wileman is miles ahead of either Dobson or Rauter as a PBP man, regardless of nationality.

I'm probably one of the few dinosaurs here who prefer only one guy in the broadcast booth. I prefer the analyst to provide insights before, at half time, and after the game.

What are your thoughts on the first two GOLTV's productions this year? Maybe I'm just being cranky, but it seems kind of piecemeal, not really sure of what they want to do, kind of like doing things by the seat of their pants. For instance, I don't see the need for two sideline reporters: between them, they don't have enough to say about the actual match, so most of the time Andi's comments during the action revolve around plugging upcoming TFC special events. I saw Serioux in the post game show but I don't think he was on at half time: was he on during the pregame show? In San Jose last week they brought in keeper coach Mike Toshack for a few minutes during the pbp; others will disagree but I just found that a bland distraction. This week they were able to get on Ray "I sound like I'm having a coronary or an orgasm, take your pick!" Hudson for a few comments at half time and there was little of substance there, either.

IMO, I would like them to keep Wileman solo, but make sure he concentrates more on the game call (his improving forte) and less on spouting the employers' mantra (I bet it would make a good drinking game if you had a prop whenever you heard magic, vague phrases like "new philosophy" or "new system," or even the word "possession"). Also, stick with one sideline reporter (Andi), and hopefully Serioux can develop into a cogent analyst with Godfrey (upstairs, off the field) pre- and post-game but particularly at half time, with some good, substantial analysis.

...in your opinion. Don't agree and think it very much points to a 'cultural cringe' to not to use a Canadian PBP man in that role and that's coming from someone who also has a British accent. The regardless of nationality thing is a better fit with immigration law where the hiring of coaching staff and players is concerned.

I'm probably one of the few dinosaurs here who prefer only one guy in the broadcast booth. I prefer the analyst to provide insights before, at half time, and after the game.

What are your thoughts on the first two GOLTV's productions this year? Maybe I'm just being cranky, but it seems kind of piecemeal, not really sure of what they want to do, kind of like doing things by the seat of their pants. For instance, I don't see the need for two sideline reporters: between them, they don't have enough to say about the actual match, so most of the time Andi's comments during the action revolve around plugging upcoming TFC special events. I saw Serioux in the post game show but I don't think he was on at half time: was he on during the pregame show? In San Jose last week they brought in keeper coach Mike Toshack for a few minutes during the pbp; others will disagree but I just found that a bland distraction. This week they were able to get on Ray "I sound like I'm having a coronary or an orgasm, take your pick!" Hudson for a few comments at half time and there was little of substance there, either.

IMO, I would like them to keep Wileman solo, but make sure he concentrates more on the game call (his improving forte) and less on spouting the employers' mantra (I bet it would make a good drinking game if you had a prop whenever you heard magic, vague phrases like "new philosophy" or "new system," or even the word "possession"). Also, stick with one sideline reporter (Andi), and hopefully Serioux can develop into a cogent analyst with Godfrey (upstairs, off the field) pre- and post-game but particularly at half time, with some good, substantial analysis.

The home match (which I obviously watched later) was far better than their first production, although it would have been hard not to be.

I don't mind the dual sideline reporter thing, especially in that they don't actually use them to "report" during the game action (a feature some other broadcasters love). The only time you hear Andi during the match is when she's plugging something, leaving Luke to simply call the match (I wonder if his TSN contract has somethinng to do with that).

What I like about the two sideline reporters is that they grab players from both teams to comment on the game, giving a more complete picture than simply getting a TFC player.

...in your opinion. Don't agree and think it very much points to a 'cultural cringe' to not to use a Canadian PBP man in that role and that's coming from someone who also has a British accent. The regardless of nationality thing is a better fit with immigration law where the hiring of coaching staff and players is concerned.

Obviously in my opinion.

I grew up with Vic Rauter being the main PBP guy in soccer broadcasts, so I have a bit of a fondness for him. That said, I've re-watched older broadcasts recently and he doesn't hold a candle to Wileman as a commentator, in terms of knowledge or passion for the game.

I realize you seem to think that everyone has a hard-on for English broadcasters for some reason, but to me Wileman is the best in the country right now. I'd put Rauter behind him, then Reed, then Dobson (both should be in-studio hosts rather than PBP guys). If Dan Dunleavy (a Canadian) were ever to become a regular TV PBP guy, he'd be right up there with Wileman, IMO.

I'm not sure what you're on about in regards to immigration law, as if my personal preferences should be governed somehow.

Do you think there is the slightest chance of Wileman ever being asked to do PbP on something like hockey or curling by TSN if he really is as good as you seem to think or that CBC would do something similar with Nigel Reed? All I see going on is two mediocre announcers with careers going nowhere fast in local radio in northern England were drafted in to cover TFC because there are still major issues with accepting soccer as being part of mainstream Canadian culture.

I like Craig McEwen calling the Whitecaps games on Sportsnet - he was fantastic IMO and helped make the games more exciting (whereas I thought Martin Nash is somewhat painful-sounding to listen to - not a great voice for commentary). I was disappointed in the last game that McEwen was replaced with Dobson, who succeeds in making games more boring. The best combination would be McEwen with Forrest (who is much better than Nash). I agree that Wileman, like McEwen, is a billion times better than Dobson or Rauter - and it has nothing to do with what accent they have but everything to do with how they call the game.

Do you think there is the slightest chance of Wileman ever being asked to do PbP on something like hockey or curling by TSN if he really is as good as you seem to think or that CBC would do something similar with Nigel Reed?

Why would I care if they can do PBP for curling or hockey? I'm talking about soccer PBP and who I think are the best at it, not who I think is the best multi-sport announcer.

What a silly argument (one that completely ignores my praising of Dunleavy's work, BTW).

So basically you are not actually interested in discussing the point I initially raised. I'd be amazed if Wileman or Reed were ever asked to do anything other than soccer for TSN or CBC because from what I can see their English accent is very much the key to their employment in that context not above average PbP abilities. They were marginal figures in local radio in a UK context rather than the next John Motson or Martin Tyler after all. That's probably a big part of why they emigrated. There are lots of people who grew up playing soccer in Canada, who could do a similar job to them and provide a similar level of insight and in a self-respecting soccer culture they would be the ones to get that sort of job.

You only need to compare and contrast the way people react on the various TFC boards to Bob Iarusci and Nigel Reed on The Soccer Show to see the cultural cringe that is involved on this. The guy that played for the CMNT and for the Cosmos with Pele is often regarded with derision, while in contrast a rugger/cricket type from England who never played pro level soccer and seldom has anything truly insightful to say during his long-winded delivery seems to be regarded as the voice of authority on the sport.

Archived