Whitecaps Debut - Everything I Could Have Hoped For

Drew Shaw

OK Toronto and Montreal fans, you're right. Vancouver has a ways to go at sing song game and waving flags game and tifo game...but know what game they're good at? The one that matters.

Kinda hard to pat yourselves on the back for beating Toronto at home...

"Yeah! We beat a dysfunctional club, we're awesome!"

Sorry but you've not really proven anything yet.

Well... if you want to bring up your song list being extensive...

Only a few songs, repeated ad nauseum.

But yes, maybe I'm wrong, and it's only due to the fact there isn't a mic right in front of the section.

Maybe I'm right as well.

Love the framed graphic of Teitur. And yes that flag pole is cartoonishly large.

People could hear Dichio24 on the broadcast. I had texts coming in from folks saying they could hear us sing. No excuse. We had only about 80.

the TFC supporter section also happened to be on the same side of the field as the broadcast booths. I was on the north end and yes the TFC crowd were loud. However I could also hear a lot of noise from the southeast corner.

my e-penis is bigger than all of yours :-P

People could hear Dichio24 on the broadcast. I had texts coming in from folks saying they could hear us sing. No excuse. We had only about 80.

That's because you were listening for a specific thing you are familiar with. You don't know the Southsiders chants, therefore you didn't recognise them. For example, I could make out their chants on the television feed. Would I if I didn't know the songs? Unlikely. And since I don't know "Dichio 24", I didn't hear or notice a single TFC chant on the television feed.

Incredibly proud and hyped all week. Even done stupid things like look at the standings, where if we beat Philly we go first. That is what it is all about, build week by week and compete to win.

We have a pretty balanced team, a very MLS looking side, not exactly flashy or anything but efficient, and some spark and drive in there. So jealous of those enjoying the experience first hand, glad to see that it is going to work and we are going to have a successful team. You can feel it.

As for fans, all these expectations and complaints are useless. First, how many times have any of the fans sat in those seats? In that part of the stadium? Around those other people?A totally new experience for eveyone. In other words, lighten up, give the fellow fans a break, and worry about yourselves not what others are doing, which is childish.

The white shirt continues to suck and I hope they change it for next year, we look dumb in white frankly.

The white shirt continues to suck and I hope they change it for next year, we look dumb in white frankly.

Yeah I miss the blue with the white stripe... even my 66 year old dad who barely even knew the Whitecaps still existed commented on the boring logo.

If people think I'm "worrying about other fans" or care to frame it in contexts of "ya but they're winning in the game that counts...so *raspberry*!!", I just have to say this:

What happened to the bygone era of being able to casually throw a game on in the background, be disappointed by a particular aspect of the match experience...and then proceed to make fun of those that disappointed me? Am I supposed to lie and say "good job on the malformed tifo of blobs!" or else be faced with the automatic "worry about yourself"?

I dont worry about Vancouver at all, and I dont worry about myself either. I know that I'm personally doing good, as well as other fans of IMFC in Montreal. Soon there will be plenty of results to show for it. Why can't I call a spade a spade, without someone saying "hey, stop caring so much!!"? It's just offhand disappointment.

And sure, WFC won a game against one of the worst teams in MLS at the moment, good job? Does that discount the fact I personally thought the fans were disappointing, and to be even more honest and less diplomatic...****ty? It's a thread asking for personal impressions, and those are mine.

:)

I have no prob with anyone elsewhere to get into things and criticize. What I find childish is when fans of the same team spend all this time criticizing each other. They are fans, they paid, they have fun, they do it their way. Don't tell me to sit down or shut up, I won't tell you to chant in such and such a way. You are free, me too.

I basically find supporter groups acting like they are the cat's meow when other fans are in fact quite into things (that stadium did not look like a furneral with a few wild guys on the outside messing things up, which is what Swangard was a bit like) to be a immature. Oh, people were not cool they way I want them to be. Get a life.

That attitude is what my "worry about yourself" comment is directed towards. Do your thing, and if you are lucky those around you will be on the same wave. But don't expect the entire stadium to be as one, this is not Istanbul or Belgrade.

In any case, Trident, I think you are dead wrong, the stadium rocked, that was totally obvious from any broadcast. You are reaching, really reaching, but nice try anyways.

Alright. I'm glad we handled this diplomatically. You have an opinion with good reasons validating your thoughts on the matter, and I have mine.

I enjoy being able to say this, and not have it turn into a huge thing for once. I respect this.

As any southsider/voyageur that met me can attest to... I'm not as terrible a person as my reputation on here would indicate.

Good luck trying to acheive what you guys in the west cost find ideal, I hope it works out.

Yeah I miss the blue with the white stripe... even my 66 year old dad who barely even knew the Whitecaps still existed commented on the boring logo.

The logo is actually growing on me - it does the mountains and the sea, which the 1979 logo did not (just the sea). I think it would be better if the dark blue part on the bottom made a "VW", which it alludes to but doesn't quite do.

However, we need the Blue Hoop back. I'm wearing my USL Whitecaps jersey with Blue Hoop until the club bring it back.

Maybe the bottom half in a wave like VW

Hi Keegan. I can't draw it, but if you look at the logo, the top (white) mountains should stay the same, but the bottom (waves) should form a "V" and "W". Currently they only form a "V" with two lines outside of that, which could form a "W", if you see what I mean. Cheers.

ps I see you are from St Catharine's. Russel Tiebert is from there, or Niagara Falls. I hope you saw how good he was on the 19 March game. Cheers.

That would have cut into the lettering. I think it is more than enough that the 'missing' part of the W is suggested. Most people get it really, maybe you just don't ;-)

I doubt it suggests VW to most people at all, hence my point about it. You would have to move the "FC".

Having designed and advocated insignia for a few clubs, I'm well aware that marketing companies don't usually provide several subtle varieties, they usually only provide a few different concepts. This means that the little details like this aren't usually well explored.

I don't agree with you that every little detail was considered. The Whitecaps waded through nearly 300 logo options before making their choice.

Really? What access to the club inner workings allows you to know that? I'd love to see all the mock-ups that they considered. Cheers.

Archived