Sportmanship is dead

shaku_bert

It's funny... in hockey a guy takes a puck of the foot and is in obvious distress and the other team will try to make them pay. I'm ok with that and most of the hockey world is too. But if a guy goes down the ref will always blow it dead. In soccer, there is so much simulation that we never know if the guy is faking or not, the refs tend to let the guy writhe on the ground until the ball goes out of play. This in turn opens up the game for instances like this. Is this act of unsportsmanship a direct result of the lack of punishment for simulation? It was perfectly obvious that the player was down (injured or not) and the ref chose not to blow it down. It was also perfectly obvious that the ball was kicked out for fair play reasons and yet the ref let play go on. Therefore imo it's the ref's fault if not the FA or FIFA.

in hockey a guy takes a puck of the foot and is in obvious distress and the other team will try to make them pay. I'm ok with that and most of the hockey world is too.

The Corinthian Football Club was formed in 1882 and played in England for many years. They beat a club called Manchester United 11-3 in 1904. But what they're better known for is the unparalleled standards of sportsmanship they applied to the game.

This is from the book "It's Not The Winning That Counts" by Max Davidson, which is a good read about sport beyond sport:

"To the Corinthian mind, the idea of awarding a penalty kick for deliberate foul play had a fatal flaw: it pre-supposed that a gentleman playing football was capable of deliberate foul play. A game was a game. To cheat to gain an advantage contravened the essence of sport."

The most celebrated Corinthian, C.B. Fry, the pre-eminent sportsman of his age, demanded to know how Corinthians could "be expected to respect a rule which presumed that players could 'trip, hack, and kick their opponents and behave like cads or the most unscrupulous kidney?"

"For Fry this new rule introduced the principle that 'if there is a penalty for cheating, then it is permissible to cheat at the expense of a penalty.' And where did that leave football? 'It is now widely acknowledged,' he wrote, in words that ring with the force of prophecy, 'that if both sides agree to cheat, cheating is fair.'"

"The Corinthians refused to have anything to do with the new rule: if a penalty was awarded in their favour, they would deliberately miss it; if it was awarded against them, the Corinthian goalkeeper would stand aside and let the opposition score."

Wow, total bull****. The worst part is that the injured player was from the red/black team and not the white team. Two white defenders went up for an aerial ball against a red/black player and he went down injured. The white team realized it and passed it out over the touchline, ref sees the red/black player getting up and doesn't use his whistle and they pounce on the white team caught unprepared. Three different players on that team chose to act unsportsmanlike; the guy taking the throw-in, the little black guy running onto the ball and #9 who pounced on the rebound to score the goal. All of them should be ashamed of themselves...and then three of them jump one of the white players, push him to the ground and kick him while he's down, real men i tells ya.

"If your not cheating your not trying hard enough."

But that was complete garbage, jpg is right, the white club put the ball into touch because for the hurt player then he bounces up for the throw in to a team on unaware defenders and bags himself a rebound.

I'd be chasing the guy down too.

But then like one comment in the youtube video says That's Fair Play in Italy for yah.

Though I think I'm suprised a brawl didn't start after this

Keeping in mind that the owl is also the other teams Mascot and lives in the building and was already hurt after being struck by the ball.

I personaly agree with the comments of EB Fry

However watching Chelsea's new aquisition doing his'stuff' on Rooney last night and getting away with it apparently scott free, whilst that Cart horse Vidic ended up walking, was joy to behold.

Honestly, since the retirement of the likes of Razzor Ruddock, Roy kean, Mark Hughes, Mick McCarthy and Vinny Jones etc, I honestly don't believe there have been any genuine hardmen* in the Top European leagues (EPL Anyway); And they were positivley genteel compared to the generation before.

Joe Jordan the Tottenham coach who got 'nutted', by the Milan Player?

now he was a hardman.

looks like Jaws from the Bond Movies only his missing teeth are not a hollywood affectation.

But the Hardest man in Football...

Well, In the days when it was technically legal to position a Lewis Gun on the Halfway line and goalkeepers could be 'taken out' with a well timed motar shell... I give you Bernhard 'Bert' Trautman. Won an Iron Cross on the Easterfront and a FA Cup winner's Medal in 1955 Whilst Playing For Manchester City with Five Dislocated Vertebrae in his NECK!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bert_Trautmann#Manchester_City

Read his bio. and his book...

The true definition of Hardman! Makes all the rest look like cotton candy.

*Hardman= tough in the tackle able to take a hit back. they also tended to leave thie Handbags at home.

I wasn't really into the game in the 70's or early 80's, and I certainly wasn't into Italian soccer at that time, but I wonder how "hardmen" guys like Gentile managed in Serie A? Everything I've read about him says he was a monster. With all the simulation that is associated with soccer (I'm not going to single out any particular nation lest we start our bi-annual "you're a racist" bull crap thread) how did he manage to stay on the pitch?

Archived