February 28 - March 10, 2011

- Friendly Tournament

- cypruswomenscup.com/

- Game days: March 2, 4, 7 9.

Group 1: Canada, England, Italy, Scotland

Group 2: France, New Zealand, the Netherlands, Switzerland

Group 3: Mexico, Northern Ireland, Russia, South Korea

Local times in Cyprus:

3/2/2011 @ 14:00 - Canada v. Scotland (Larnaca)

3/4/2011 @ 14:00 - Canada v. Italy (Nicosia)

3/7/2011 @ 17:00 - Canada v. England (Nicosia)

3/9/2011 @ ??:?? - Canada v. ??? (Placement)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Buckland Tests Skills with Canadian National Team

OSU_WSC_HS_Buckland_Chelsea_0910.jpg

Women's soccer junior-to-be forward Chelsea Buckland from Vancouver B.C. has been invited to participate in a national camp for Canada in Rome, Italy.

"Having one of my student-athletes get this type of call-up, feels great," Oregon State women's soccer head coach Linus Rhode said. "I'm very happy for Chelsea. She's come a long way in her development as a player, on a lot of different levels, and I think it's a timely call-up for her and she's well-deserving of it."

Buckland and the national team leave Friday, Feb. 11 to Rome for a month-long training camp where the team plans on participating in the Cyprus Cup tournament Feb. 28-March 10.

"I've had two great seasons here at Oregon State and at the end of the year, after the NCAAs, Coach Rhode got a phone call from the national team that wanted some information about me," Buckland said of how she was contacted about the national team camp. "We ended up doing a highlight video and I guess they liked what they saw."

Buckland is coming off of her sophomore season at Oregon State where she led the team with 10 goals giving her 17 for her career. Her 10 goals in 2010 tied her for seventh all-time at Oregon State in single-season goals scored and 17 for her career is tied for ninth on the all-time list in just two years.

"I was caught off-guard," Buckland said. "It was overwhelming at first but now I have to buckle down and say to myself, `Hey, this is my opportunity to shine and I've earned what I've got so far but there's so many more strides forward to go.' Right now it's a great opportunity for me and I can't turn it down.

"There are a lot of team activities I'm looking forward to; stuff like going to see a big-shot game. We have a few exhibition games, camp games, and then a tournament. I'm making sure I'm doing the small things, making sure I'm prepared for it."

Oregon State's Buckland knows about goals

"She has that goal-scoring knack that's hard to find," said coach Linus Rhode, a Vancouver native whose hometown recruiting connections gave OSU an early line on the one-time provincial prodigy. "She's shown she can (score) at every level.

"When she was younger she was getting recruited by some pretty high-profile programs," attracted by the 72 goals she scored for the Vancouver Whitecaps provincial team in 2006. "We got lucky and got her before anybody else did."

The journey from Vancouver superstar to Pac-10 wiz wasn't all chips and gravy. She redshirted in 2008, and didn't start in 2009 because she couldn't play at top speed for 90 minutes.

Buckland said being a scout-team "dummy" and not playing a minute was hard to accept; it was tough watching OSU struggle through a 6-11-2 fall.

"But in the end it definitely worked out as a positive," she said. "I could study the game off the pitch, understand my opponents, and study my teammates so that (in 2009) I knew what I needed to do. It was not a negative."

Unleashed in 2009, she led OSU with seven goals, 16 assists and 54 shots; scored game-winners against Denver, Oregon and Washington; and made the Pacific-10 Conference's All-Newcomer team. The WhiteCaps invited her to play this past summer on their junior team.

However, she stayed in Corvallis, took summer classes, and worked with strength and conditioning coach Jen Miller to get thinner, stronger and faster. She shed 25 pounds through dieting, weight-training and running with the football team.

"It was a perfect decision," she said. "It would have been great to go play, but I needed to prepare for the season. Jen Miller really pushed me, to get that extra fitness level and to strive for excellence.

"It's pushed my game to the next level. My strength, power, speed, holding on to the ball ... all my roles have gotten better because of my strength and all-around fitness."

http://www.gazettetimes.com/sports/beavers-sports/article_9be3e6ce-d69a-11df-b803-001cc4c03286.html

Chelsea Buckland, the dangerous striker for No. 15 Oregon State women's soccer, playing role of decoy

Buckland was a goal-scoring machine in high school who was contacted by no less than 32 schools her junior year, including powerhouses Notre Dame and Portland.

Yes, she says, there were friends and family members who did a double-take when she chose Oregon State.

“I visited a lot of schools, and I had a lot of schools recruit me,’’ she said.

“I wanted to come down here (to OSU) and make a difference.’’

Buckland’s personality does not always lend itself to turning the other cheek.

She will get the occasional yellow card.

“That’s my No. 1 thing. I will compete. I will push you back if you’re going to start hitting me from behind,’’ she said.

“They’re trying to get under my skin out there. Girls are talking and everyone is beaking you off. You take some cheap shots, but you’ve got to stay focused and play your game.’’

She is a redshirt sophomore, so she’s been on campus going on three years.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindbeaversbeat/2010/10/chelsea_buckland_the_dangerous.html

Players in camp as per http://www.rhianwilkinsonsoccer.com/journals/journal%20441%20%20Umbro%20Equipment%20%202011.html

GK- Stephanie Labbé | SWE / Piteå IF

GK- Karina LeBlanc | USA / Chicago Red Stars

GK- Erin McLeod | USA / Washington Freedom

CB- Candace Chapman | USA / Western New York Flash

CB- Shannon Woeller | USA / Rutgers University

CB- Emily Zurrer | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC

RB- Rhian Wilkinson | NOR / Lillestrøm SK Kvinner

LB- Melanie Booth | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC

LB- Marie-Eve Nault | CAN / Ottawa Fury

D- Robyn Gayle | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC

D- Brittany Timko | Unattached / sans club

CM- Carmelina Moscato | Unattached / sans club

CM- Desiree Scott | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC

CM- Chelsea Stewart | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC

M- Jonelle Filigno | USA / Rutgers University

M- Kaylyn Kyle | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC

M- Diana Matheson | NOR / Lillestrøm SK Kvinner

M- Sophie Schmidt | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC

F- Josée Bélanger | CAN / Amiral de Québec

F- Chelsea Buckland | USA / University of Oregon

F- Christina Julien | CAN / Ottawa Fury

F- Brooke McCalla | CAN / Master's Futbol Academy

F- Jodi-Ann Robinson | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC

F- Christine Sinclair | USA / Western New York Flash

F- Melissa Tancredi | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC

Richard Scott has been pretty good this past year about staying on top of things and getting information out on all our teams pretty quickly. I'm not sure where it all broke down but I imagine the lines of communication are somewhat blurry these days.

One of the new hires they're looking for is for an assistant to look after this stuff, that will help quite a bit.

29 pic photoset of the women from an Italian sport journal. The Italian press seem a little mesmerized by Kyle, but we do get a first glimpse of Buckland. Click the pics to advance to the next.

Canada in Rome

You can also check out their hotel, same deal click the photos to advance. Looks like a great spot. Sunny and 16C in Rome today.

Mancini Park Hotel

Here's a couple of others of the hotel's two pitches and facilities:

3269860.jpg

3269870.jpg

966064.jpg

image_services_sport_footballpitch_1.jpg

Wow. I would say 2/3rds of the pics are of Morace (expected as she is Italian) or Kyle. Don't get me wrong, Kyle is not bad looking at all but no reason to be in as many shots as she was. I think the photographer got a hard-on and couldn't stop.

Good for the ladies to get some press in Rome.

First of all: re: photo spread in the newspaper. Like someone else mentioned you would have thought the Canadian Women's National Team was one player called Kyle with Morace as her coach.

Secondly, noticed Parker in the photos but not on the roster. Anyone know her status or what the exact injury is?

Yes I picked up on that too Pete. I'm not sure if it's public or not, but if it's not that's fine. I just really hope she gets well soon whatever it is. And her status is definitely the other Saskatchewan product the press would be clamouring around if they saw her play.

I had heard that it was something with the knee suffered in one of the pre-CONCACAF friendlies. I was under the impression that it wasn't serious though, which I thought perhaps meant meniscus or MCL, which would be a 3 month recovery, maximum. Surprised we are now getting on to at least 5 months now since it happened. Nevertheless, a good sign she is back with the team, and definitely another nice weapon to have going into the WWC.

The French have a break in D1 league play and are in Cyprus for 9 days. Coach Bruno Bini has said he will rotate his players to help get an idea of the final 21 to declare for Germany before the end of May.

There are a couple of ways we could approach things and it will be interesting to see how we play our cards. The first game is a week Wednesday against the Scots who are #24th in the world.

Scotland do well in their class range but are usually three goals to the worse against top 10 teams and were winless in Cyprus last year. Back in 2008 in Cyprus we lost 0-2 to them on goals in the 68th and 82nd minutes after out-shooting them 17-4 and out-cornering them 10-2.

The Scots have played just once in the past half year.

More on our first opponent...

Scotland women's team set sights on Cyprus Cup and beyond

Scots keen to test themselves against best sides

Growth in Cyprus Cup excites Scotland coach

Team.jpg

A good performance at next month's Cyprus Cup could kick-start the most important 12 months in the history of the Scotland team, said the national team's head coach, Anna Signeul. The Scots have never qualified for a major tournament but, having seen her team finish runners-up to Denmark in their 2011 World Cup qualifying group, Signeul has set her sights on reaching the 2013 European Championship finals.

The qualifying round draw for the finals, to be played in Sweden, is set for 14 March, five days after the Cyprus Cup ends. Scotland, 24th in the world rankings, will face Canada, England and Italy – ranked ninth, 10th and 11th respectively – in the group stage of the tournament.

"These are the sort of teams we need to be playing against to develop as a side who can compete at the highest level," said the Swede Signeul, under whom the Scots have made significant progress since her appointment in 2005.

"We did really well in our World Cup qualifiers but now we must push on and I believe that reaching the 2013 Euros is a realistic aim.

"We certainly have the quality, if not the quantity, of girls that play the game in England. We have talented individuals and a skilful team who are improving all the time and who would give the Scottish women's game a fantastic boost by reaching the Euro finals. It will be a big challenge but we can set ourselves up for the qualifiers by doing well at the Cyprus Cup, which is a very important tournament for us."

Signeul and the Scottish Football Association were prime movers in the founding of the Cyprus Cup, which in its 2008 inaugural year was a six-nation event. This year has been expanded to 12 teams including eight of the world's top 20 and five – France, Mexico, New Zealand, the 2009 winners England and last year's winners Canada – who in June will be contesting the World Cup finals in Germany.

"I am absolutely delighted with the way that the Cyprus Cup has developed," said Signeul. "It has grown in quality, strength of competition and prestige and in only four years has come to be recognised as one of the world's best annual tournaments."

Scotland squad: Fay (Celtic), Lynn (Hibernian), Beattie (Arsenal), Brown (Hibernian), Corsie (Glasgow City), Dieke (Boston Breakers), Fernon (Glasgow City), Jones (Hibernian), Small (Forfar Farmington), Lauder (Spartans), Little (Arsenal), Love (Glasgow City), Ross (Glasgow City), Sneddon (Liverpool), Barry (Spartans), Dempster (Hibernian), Murray (Glasgow City), Grant (Celtic), Ross (Glasgow City).

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/feb/20/scotland-womens-team-cyprus-cup

More on our first opponent...

Scotland women's team set sights on Cyprus Cup and beyond

Scots keen to test themselves against best sides

Growth in Cyprus Cup excites Scotland coach

Team.jpg

A good performance at next month's Cyprus Cup could kick-start the most important 12 months in the history of the Scotland team, said the national team's head coach, Anna Signeul. The Scots have never qualified for a major tournament but, having seen her team finish runners-up to Denmark in their 2011 World Cup qualifying group, Signeul has set her sights on reaching the 2013 European Championship finals.

The qualifying round draw for the finals, to be played in Sweden, is set for 14 March, five days after the Cyprus Cup ends. Scotland, 24th in the world rankings, will face Canada, England and Italy – ranked ninth, 10th and 11th respectively – in the group stage of the tournament.

"These are the sort of teams we need to be playing against to develop as a side who can compete at the highest level," said the Swede Signeul, under whom the Scots have made significant progress since her appointment in 2005.

"We did really well in our World Cup qualifiers but now we must push on and I believe that reaching the 2013 Euros is a realistic aim.

"We certainly have the quality, if not the quantity, of girls that play the game in England. We have talented individuals and a skilful team who are improving all the time and who would give the Scottish women's game a fantastic boost by reaching the Euro finals. It will be a big challenge but we can set ourselves up for the qualifiers by doing well at the Cyprus Cup, which is a very important tournament for us."

Signeul and the Scottish Football Association were prime movers in the founding of the Cyprus Cup, which in its 2008 inaugural year was a six-nation event. This year has been expanded to 12 teams including eight of the world's top 20 and five – France, Mexico, New Zealand, the 2009 winners England and last year's winners Canada – who in June will be contesting the World Cup finals in Germany.

"I am absolutely delighted with the way that the Cyprus Cup has developed," said Signeul. "It has grown in quality, strength of competition and prestige and in only four years has come to be recognised as one of the world's best annual tournaments."

Scotland squad: Fay (Celtic), Lynn (Hibernian), Beattie (Arsenal), Brown (Hibernian), Corsie (Glasgow City), Dieke (Boston Breakers), Fernon (Glasgow City), Jones (Hibernian), Small (Forfar Farmington), Lauder (Spartans), Little (Arsenal), Love (Glasgow City), Ross (Glasgow City), Sneddon (Liverpool), Barry (Spartans), Dempster (Hibernian), Murray (Glasgow City), Grant (Celtic), Ross (Glasgow City).

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/feb/20/scotland-womens-team-cyprus-cup

You have to wonder how serious the scots are with female football, I cant understand why they are not seeking female players in Canada, U.S. and Australia ... I suspect there are more qualified "scots origin" players outside Scotland then inside...why not recruit them to populate the national team ?

http://www.canadasoccer.com/tourney/FIFA_WWC/national.asp?Press_ID=4674

21 February 2011

Cyprus Women’s Cup rosters announced

Canada and its group opponents have announced their rosters for the upcoming 2011 Cyprus Women’s Cup from 2-9 March. The Canadian team travels this Tuesday from Roma, Italy to Larnaka, Cyprus and will begin its final preparations in defence of its 2010 title.

This will be the fourth edition of the Cyprus Women’s Cup. Canada was champion in 2008 and 2010; it finished runner up to England in 2009. The 2011 competition has been expanded from eight to 12 teams, with teams divided into three groups of four.

cont'd

CANADA

GK- Stephanie Labbé | SWE / Piteå IF

GK- Karina LeBlanc | USA / Chicago Red Stars

GK- Erin McLeod | USA / Washington Freedom

D- Candace Chapman | USA / Western New York Flash

D- Shannon Woeller | USA / Rutgers University

D- Emily Zurrer | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC

D- Rhian Wilkinson | NOR / Lillestrøm SK Kvinner

D- Melanie Booth | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC

D- Marie-Eve Nault | CAN / Ottawa Fury

D- Robyn Gayle | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC

D- Brittany Timko | Unattached / sans club

M- Carmelina Moscato | Unattached / sans club

M- Desiree Scott | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC

M- Chelsea Stewart | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC

M- Jonelle Filigno | USA / Rutgers University

M- Kaylyn Kyle | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC

M- Diana Matheson | NOR / Lillestrøm SK Kvinner

M- Sophie Schmidt | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC

M- Bryanna McCarthy | CAN / Toronto Lady Lynx

F- Josée Bélanger | CAN / Amiral de Québec

F- Chelsea Buckland | USA / University of Oregon

F- Christina Julien | CAN / Ottawa Fury

F- Brooke McCalla | CAN / Master’s Futbol Academy

F- Jodi-Ann Robinson | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC

F- Christine Sinclair | USA / Western New York Flash

F- Melissa Tancredi | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC

Updated friendly from US boards:

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=22859305&postcount=19

South Korea are 18th ranked in the world, their highest position ever.

They have never qualified for an Olympics, and just one of six World Cups (2003) where they lost every game with a -10 differential.

It's their first camp of 2011. They had two brief camps and a qualifying tournament in 2010, going down to the North in PK's for a Cup berth.

Their program is best known for it's youth teams. Their U17s won the World Cup while the U20's lost in the semi-final to the Germans who took gold. That combination is a pretty uncanny result. They will be reaping the rewards of that for 10-15 years.

Somebody in Seoul turned that program on it's head.

Of their Cyprus roster 9 are 20 or younger. Almost the entire roster is U-23.

intro02.jpg

Apologies for that, I just checked and the cutoff was December 23 for both of these.

Communications Manager | Job Description

Community Outreach Coordinator | Job Description

If you check the CSA site you can see they've already filled the Outreach Coordinator, but the other hasn't been listed on the site yet. No idea what that means though. I would check with Richard Scott.

The French have a break in D1 league play and are in Cyprus for 9 days. Coach Bruno Bini has said he will rotate his players to help get an idea of the final 21 to declare for Germany before the end of May.

I just rechecked the French site. My French is abysmal for a Canadian, but reading this now I believe it say's they are going for it (or at least say they are... it's pretty high stakes poker).

"Il y avait donc deux choix possibles : aborder ce rendez-vous comme une véritable préparation, soit comme une revue d'effectif. Cette dernière option aurait pu être envisagée si nous avions davantage de rassemblements de sorte que tournoi de Chypre sera donc une préparation à la Coupe du Monde."

Anyone have good French? Does that say they need to use Cyprus as preparation because of their limited amount of time together between now and the World Cup?

http://www.fff.fr/selections/femininesa/actu/536458.shtml

Archived