Mississauga Eagles FC - Tryouts

Saugan

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dates: 4 days per week - Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday

10 weeks - January 18 to March 25, 2011

Time: 4:00 to 5:45 pm

Fee: $12.50 per day or $350 for the full program.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Good luck getting $350.00 from players that expect to be paid to play, every CSL team must have 9 pro players for a total of $45,000 in player salaries, that's a lot for a youth club to pay out.

every CSL team must have 9 pro players for a total of $45,000 in player salaries, that's a lot for a youth club to pay out.

you might be surprised at how profitable some youth programs can be, and they can charge more when they have a decent mens team in the system. Look around at the prices some of the teams charge for youth soccer, and some parents will pay a decent amount to ensure they have a quality coach in charge and to be a part of a team associated with the csl.

correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the youth programs were what was balancing the books (and by not being overly ambitious with the costs)?

Why would someone pay 350 dollars if they might get cut early in the 10 week period. Would they just allow sub par players to stick around because they paid, then let them go ?

not saying your wrong but maybe they'll be moving players out as they make the grade and then have a group of guys playing (and getting pointers) to decently accomadate a proper tryout. Most tryouts like this are probably cash grabs in general but I kinda think they may be able to find a few guys for their level still.

The Erin Mills Soccer Club will start its training, development and ID program for their upcoming CSL team, the Mississauga Eagles FC, beginning January 18, 2011, at the Hershey Centre.

Register for the training, development and ID program today! This program is for the Mississauga Eagles CSL professional team, the CSL reserve team and the OSL senior mens team.

All players wishing to attend these sessions must first fill out the registration form and fill out and bring the Player Profile Form complete with picture to their first session.

Dates: 4 days per week - Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday

10 weeks - January 18 to March 25, 2011

Time: 4:00 to 5:45 pm

Fee: $12.50 per day or $350 for the full program.

Register: EMSC website - http://erinmillssoccer.com

Note: Space is limited each day, registration on first-come-first serve basis. Registration includes official Mississauga Eagles F.C. training t-shirt. No refunds

Paying to get a job application is a scam.... paying to train with a professional club for tryouts is a scam.

I am shocked a club does this crap... seriously fold your tent now and go away ... you should not be a CSL franchise if this is what your doing.

wow, clubs do this all the time, TFC did it and the odds of anyone actually making it were far smaller. The reason's clubs do this, is yes, to make a bit of money, maybe find a player, get their brand name into the community (everyone who tries out will remember the team).

I really don't understand this extreme reaction. You know if your not in the csl or pdl you ARE paying to play? So the chance to pay a bit to attend some tryouts would make sense to players who haven't managed to create enough hype around themselves on their own. This isn't a pair of people going around telling people they could be models, it's a typical tryout, if someone makes enough hype for themselves they get to skip this process, if they don't, then this process is all they got and it's not exactly free to rent a pitch and have coaches working.

Scam? It's moreso a scam when a top level professional team does it with no real intention of signing anyone, a semi pro team, charging a bit, to actually take a look at some local players is hardly sinister, you know when TFC did it, they had guys show up from other countries cause they thought they might make it, whats the worst case scenario here? someone pays 350$ and gets a decent amount of training time and some pointers?

I don't mind paying something like a fiver for facility rental when trying out with a team and there's somethin like 4 or 5 sessions. Those are the longest tryout periods I have seen go on (at least on the legit teams anyway)

But $12.50/day or $350 for the whole thing when you may get cut early? And there's 40 sessions? C'mon now...no wonder soccer in this country is an absolute joke...

I don't mind paying something like a fiver for facility rental when trying out with a team and there's somethin like 4 or 5 sessions. Those are the longest tryout periods I have seen go on (at least on the legit teams anyway)

But $12.50/day or $350 for the whole thing when you may get cut early? And there's 40 sessions? C'mon now...no wonder soccer in this country is an absolute joke...

5$? I have to pay near 20 bucks a session to get an indoor pitch with a bunch of guys for an hour...

This is really just ridiculous, do you realize how much it costs to play in leagues below the csl and pdl? These guys are getting a decent look at some local players, not charging a huge amount, getting noticed in their communities, letting guys see where they stand and...*big shock* probably making some money.

Really, if I were in shape right now I'd be damn glad for a chance like this. If you were really something, you could make the team for 12.50, if your decent, you might get a few weeks of decent training for 350$.

5$? I have to pay near 20 bucks a session to get an indoor pitch with a bunch of guys for an hour...

This is really just ridiculous, do you realize how much it costs to play in leagues below the csl and pdl? These guys are getting a decent look at some local players, not charging a huge amount, getting noticed in their communities, letting guys see where they stand and...*big shock* probably making some money.

Really, if I were in shape right now I'd be damn glad for a chance like this. If you were really something, you could make the team for 12.50, if your decent, you might get a few weeks of decent training for 350$.

London City holds open tryouts yearly, they cost $35 to attend normally and last a weekend. That intake covers the coach's time, the facility, and the resources the club provides (nets, balls, shirts, possible emergency medical care, etc.) It's not ridiculous to expect someone to pay for a ten week shot at a semi-pro contract. Say you have a rough start in tryouts, but you are a really good player, were you to have more than two days to prove it, you might change the coaching staffers' minds. No-name players with no contracts paying a startup club a modest operating fee to let them have what is essentially an extended trial is not only fair, it's an amazing opportunity for both parties.

The only players I see going are youth players. They might be told that they can play for the reserve team. No way someone with a job can make that commitment. Bottom line is the CSL has too many teams and I agree it is an insult to have to pay to tryout for a pro team. I might go by one day as it is on my way home from work.

The only players I see going are youth players. They might be told that they can play for the reserve team. No way someone with a job can make that commitment. Bottom line is the CSL has too many teams and I agree it is an insult to have to pay to tryout for a pro team. I might go by one day as it is on my way home from work.

umm, the reserve division is pretty much for youth players...who generally aren't the players under full or part time contract...

Pointing out that someonecan't work a full time job and have a full time training contract is just obvious, that's why most of the guys getting paid get part time contracts. Gee whiz, it's hard to be one of the lower level players??? you don't say *sarcasm* Why don't the guys working part time jobs with part time contracts quit while were at it. Everywhere in the world you have a pro level, hopefully a lower pro level, and then semi pro and amateur levels where the people with drive and determination continue to pursue their dream, people all over the world make a far greater sacrifice for even worse leagues so pointing out that it's hard is a waste of time, more teams will mean a few more of these guys will actually get paid...

It would be insulting to charge a player your interested in to come down and have a trial, to give strangers a chance to be seen isn't the same thing at all. Their literally doing to local soccer community a favour by saying 'you think you fell between the cracks, come on down', but apparently they should scout anyone who feels like trying out for free??? Also, your comparing a generally semi pro league to top pro teams? Obviously they can't afford to just have tryouts for your pleasure, so it's gonna cost something, and I really don't see that as a reason to not hold tryouts because you can't do it charitable (and since when did a local tryout for a semi pro or even low level pro team have to be charity?)

And if their are too many teams?? then wouldn't of the level of play suffered last year?? Last year they added 3 teams, and the play level continued it's decent rise, so how can you so matter of factly say theirs too many teams?? Won't the play have to suffer for a season before you can claim that??

Whats with all this crazy responses? seriously, 5? years ago TFC did the exact same thing, for more cash, with pretty much no chance of making a team, but when a smaller team does it, for alot less, with a far greater chance of getting picked, it's a scam??? When did people come to the conclusion that these clubs are charities and their making abit of money is wrong? No pro club in the world will give you a free trial if only YOUR interested, and you generally don't expect the players your interested in to show up to your tryouts (you should have approached them already or someone else might), so why are you going to pay to have a complete random take up your time?

edit: as for all the local amateur players, this is probably the best opportunity they've had for a couple years to get noticed... but by looking at this thread you'd swear people were being swindled out of their life savings by a 'talent agent'

...every CSL team must have 9 pro players for a total of $45,000 in player salaries, that's a lot for a youth club to pay out.

Even TFC Academy? There must be some flexibility on that for them to still be able to participate. Can the money be paid into a scholarship fund or something along those lines so NCAA eligibility isn't jeopardized? Beyond that on the youth club thing although $45k is obviously a sizable sum it's worth bearing in mind that some of the larger youth clubs are already able to fund a full-time technical director.

How is this ridiculous? I can understand taking fees to cover cost of facility rental and other necessities, but when it looks to me like it is a money grab, then it becomes a problem. Like I said, the longest tryout period I attended was for 4/5 days at UCD (1.5-2hours each)...and that's if you were even lucky to go longer than the 1st day. I have NEVER seen or heard of teams have 10 week long sessions, it's ridiculousness. No legit set-up has something like that.

That being said, I was in Ireland and one of the top teams in the League of Ireland in Shamrock Rovers (not the senior team, but a lower level one) happened to have an open session (I couldn't make it as Tallaght is a touch out of the way for me lol) Guess how much the cost was? ZERO! ZIP! GOOSEEGG! This is in a country where everyone is hurtin for cash, businesses and people alike. Now, i'm not gonna compare the FAI to the CSA (FAI has it's own problems and that's for another thread), but what does that say?

And Juby, making a team for $12.50? That's for one session. Ten sessions is $125. That's quite a bit of dough for a semi-pro team.

How is this ridiculous? I can understand taking fees to cover cost of facility rental and other necessities, but when it looks to me like it is a money grab, then it becomes a problem. Like I said, the longest tryout period I attended was for 4/5 days at UCD (1.5-2hours each)...and that's if you were even lucky to go longer than the 1st day. I have NEVER seen or heard of teams have 10 week long sessions, it's ridiculousness. No legit set-up has something like that.

That being said, I was in Ireland and one of the top teams in the League of Ireland in Shamrock Rovers (not the senior team, but a lower level one) happened to have an open session (I couldn't make it as Tallaght is a touch out of the way for me lol) Guess how much the cost was? ZERO! ZIP! GOOSEEGG! This is in a country where everyone is hurtin for cash, businesses and people alike. Now, i'm not gonna compare the FAI to the CSA (FAI has it's own problems and that's for another thread), but what does that say?

And Juby, making a team for $12.50? That's for one session. Ten sessions is $125. That's quite a bit of dough for a semi-pro team.

your making big assumptions and misquoting me. I said "If you were really something....", I didn't say decent players are gonna get signed on day one, and to be honest, 125$ to get some time with a prospective club isn't all that bad, there's an oppertunity here for players with no connection to the team to get a chance if they take it and are good enough.

And really, your comparison to the irish league is actually perfect for me. Now granted it's not the first team but your talking about a team in a good club heirarchy, it's more like comparing the team too the two academy teams in the csl, and those would probably be the first place you would find a charitable break. Not on the lower side of the system financially speaking.

For the assumptions...I doubt many will be their for ten weeks... They want to look at a bunch of players, you need players to trial players, if a few dreamers want to spend 350$ for a great 10 week training camp (not a bad deal really) and if a few guys who were on the bubble were told they might have a chance if they stuck around then whats the problem??? a few guys are out 350$ (remember limited spots, which is why I don't think they'll be able to accept alot of 350$ offers), a few guys may have pushed through and got signed, and they all had a decent training camp?

Finally, to bring me back to start of your post, I honestly have no problems with some money grabs, it depends on how ruthless (like I do think the tfc tryouts that got people to buy plane tickets and pay in might have been a bit much) and how unnecessary. I think the fact that someone (or more) could get signed and their honestly not charging an arm and a leg makes me think 'great'. It's not even like the title is 'free tryouts'. I really think you could call alot of basic business strategies a 'cash grab', which leads to my first point how ruthless and how unnecessary?

Why would you expect a csl team to take the time to trial someone they've never heard of for free? I honestly don't think they have the money to do 'free tryouts' for the community, so should they not hold tryouts? just scout futsal for now? go into camp possible weaker? And what of the players? Better no opertunity then paying a bit for an opertunity? Were not talking about the top clubs in the world (and the charity they can afford to send to their lower teams). Were talking about semi professional soccer and players being forced to retire at like 22 unless theirs more middling contracts to catch these guys.

In university you learn an interesting thing pretty quickly, you can walk into any big lecture you want and just learn for free, your paying for that credential on your resume, a little extra help and the right to be judged amoung your peers. For not a whole lot, guys can get the second and third there (tips from a coach and knowing where you stand) and dream about the first. I'm thinking maybe I will get back into shape since their seem to be enough teams for some affordable tryouts to sprout up rather publically.

Guest HamiltonSteelers

I just figured the "fees" was to discourage everyone with ambition and no talent to show up at a park. If you have 100 players at, say, $100 a head is better than, say, 450 players at no fees. Finding a squad of 30 would be brutal with that number even if you're taking most players half-seriously.

I just figured the "fees" was to discourage everyone with ambition and no talent to show up at a park. If you have 100 players at, say, $100 a head is better than, say, 450 players at no fees. Finding a squad of 30 would be brutal with that number even if you're taking most players half-seriously.

I agree. And with the rumour that TFC is currently scouting players in the CSL - specifically Milltown - not only are you getting a tryout and training program, but if you're good enough - a chance to get the attention of one of the bigger clubs. Who knows?

http://www.mls-rumors.net/13928/2011/01/report-toronto-fc-to-raid-csl-side-milltown-fc-for-talent-in-the-wake-of-tragedy/

London City holds open tryouts yearly, they cost $35 to attend normally and last a weekend. That intake covers the coach's time, the facility, and the resources the club provides (nets, balls, shirts, possible emergency medical care, etc.) It's not ridiculous to expect someone to pay for a ten week shot at a semi-pro contract. Say you have a rough start in tryouts, but you are a really good player, were you to have more than two days to prove it, you might change the coaching staffers' minds. No-name players with no contracts paying a startup club a modest operating fee to let them have what is essentially an extended trial is not only fair, it's an amazing opportunity for both parties.

This.

Instead of being judged over a couple tryouts, you get 10 weeks to prove you're a total screwup/the next lionel messi.

10 week tryout is fantastic.....it gives the player that may have had a bad day to show his stuff another chance. Not only will the coach see his skills, but I would think coaches also look @ players work ethics and how they get along with other players.

your making big assumptions and misquoting me. I said "If you were really something....", I didn't say decent players are gonna get signed on day one, and to be honest, 125$ to get some time with a prospective club isn't all that bad, there's an oppertunity here for players with no connection to the team to get a chance if they take it and are good enough."

Please. If you have actually been involved in and played soccer, you pretty much need to know people in places in order to get somewhere, especially in Canada. It's now what you know, it's who you know. I knew a guy who played in Northern Ireland (regular minutes for a top team there) come here and couldn't get the time of day from NL teams, but he's scoring goals for fun in a senior league out west. What does that say? Too much political BS? I'd say.

That being said, how many people from these open tryouts are honestly going to make the team and even get on bench? Going back to UCD, one year after I was there, I think 3 guys were knocking on the door to the LOI team. Two were getting regular minutes in the reserves and one was getting a few games here and there. This took a whole year and change...I remember the manager of my team saying 3 guys made it to the LOI team and it took them 2-3 years of hard work. Now, that deffo is a great thing. But applying that logic to a 10 week try-out, how many people are honestly gonna make this team? My guess, 1, maybe 2 people. On some team im a league no one outside of Ontario or Quebec knows about?

Take this from a guy who has been to these open tryouts and seen them for himself.

...btw, Speaking of which, the league I was referring to is the League of Ireland. The Irish League is the league in Northern Ireland. LOI is pretty much fully professional, Irish league is all semi-pro. Not trying to nit-pick there's a huge difference between the two leagues (country and quality...although that Matty Burrows goal for Glentoran is somethin)

Please. If you have actually been involved in and played soccer, you pretty much need to know people in places in order to get somewhere, especially in Canada. It's now what you know, it's who you know. I knew a guy who played in Northern Ireland (regular minutes for a top team there) come here and couldn't get the time of day from NL teams, but he's scoring goals for fun in a senior league out west. What does that say? Too much political BS? I'd say.

That being said, how many people from these open tryouts are honestly going to make the team and even get on bench? Going back to UCD, one year after I was there, I think 3 guys were knocking on the door to the LOI team. Two were getting regular minutes in the reserves and one was getting a few games here and there. This took a whole year and change...I remember the manager of my team saying 3 guys made it to the LOI team and it took them 2-3 years of hard work. Now, that deffo is a great thing. But applying that logic to a 10 week try-out, how many people are honestly gonna make this team? My guess, 1, maybe 2 people. On some team im a league no one outside of Ontario or Quebec knows about?

Take this from a guy who has been to these open tryouts and seen them for himself.

...btw, Speaking of which, the league I was referring to is the League of Ireland. The Irish League is the league in Northern Ireland. LOI is pretty much fully professional, Irish league is all semi-pro. Not trying to nit-pick there's a huge difference between the two leagues (country and quality...although that Matty Burrows goal for Glentoran is somethin)

ahaha, thank you for 'educating me' on 'the world' of soccer ahaha (btw, ever heard of agent? there's these guys that it make it there job to call up a talented player or big wig with a club even if they don't know them. If you think it's all politics, there's a decent chance you just weren't good enough, cause if your really something, an agent you've never met will literally call you out of the blue, anyone who made it past the tryouts knows that)

You just proved my point. In your first paragraph you talk about the guys in the shadows, and an open call to strangers try out is exactly the thing that cuts through the problem of not knowing people.

How many people do I expect to get signed? I was thinking more 2 or 3(this is a new men's team, theirs obviously going to be a few gaps, it's not at all like a university in ireland or an established team in ireland. I'm sorry to say but your arguement is being brought down by your complete dependance on ireland as the end all and be all (who said your experiences in ireland were universal?). Ohhhh and you do realize that 2 or 3 guys on contracts is better than...none, right? (your seriously acting like it's a bad thing to sign a couple extra guys, if your starving, and someone gives you half a donut, are you going to throw it away cause it's not enough? HELL NO, that's just stupid) Your suggesting it's better to not make some money and NOT sign 2 or 3 extra local guys? That's a great business plan, be money phobic and don't hold tryouts unless your willing to accomadate every yahoo? And then you finish that paragraph by just trying to insult the csl's visability? On top of it not helping your point (visibile or not, and btw you are wrong there, a guy training is better then him...not training) it's just plain old silly, your pretty much suggesting guys don't take a csl chance seriously because you don't take it seriously (did you even see a game this year? theirs a bunch on here).

Yeah, take it from a guy who can't seem to come up with an example outside of ireland, and when did you assume your the only person who grasps tryouts on a...soccer forum of all places?

...btw, you clearly missed the point of what I was saying, and I don't know much at all about about irish football, but how does that change that your were comparing a reserve team built off a top flight professional club to a semi pro team at the top of it's club heirarchy? Why would you expect the a club who's most competetive team is semi pro to be able to afford to run the same as it's equivelent that's a reserve or youth team under a pro team? Basically what I'm saying is TFC Academy obviously has more money then a CSL team, because their under TFC. Why would you expect a regular csl team to have the resources of a reserve team of one the best irish team? but that whole point is lost cause I don't know much about irish football (haha)

So let's clarify:

You'd rather no one get a decent chance because of all the 'politics' anyways.

You'd rather no one get a decent chance because better let them all fall between the cracks then sign a couple?

You'd rather no one get a decent chance because that's not how it's done in Ireland.

You don't think a csl tryout is a big deal because the csl doesn't matter to you.

Basically your saying 'trust me, I know, I've been to ireland, I know how they do things', it may surprise you but there are much more qualified people on this board. Seriously though, you saying "my guess, 1, maybe 2 people.", you say that likes it a bad thing, Don't you think the state of soccer in canada might be different if their were less people who'd prefer doing nothing to baby steps? It's a pointless arguement that moronically criticizes the csl for not having the money to do more, pretending like doing nothing or waiting to win the lotto is better.

Archived